2021 Roster Discussion

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Per 247Sports: Lauck, Pollak, Labrador, Crosbie, and Carmona have entered the portal.

That leaves us with 27 hypothetical returning players, with Cecconi, McMahon, Zamora, and Toral plausible draft losses. Who knows what Van Belle or Keysor will do as seniors if offered any kind of signing bonus. Perfect Game has us with 19 high school commits and by my count we have 6 JUCO commits for a grand total of 52(!) before the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re scratching our head at a couple juniors signing for a few thousand to get away from the roster crunch.

We now have just 6 of the 12 freshman who showed up in August still on the roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Going to be crazy. I suspect we'll see a few of the highly regarded but undrafted HS recruits go the JC route.

What's the story on Carmona - wasn't he one of our key targets last year? Hate to lose a LHP with potential, even considering the surplus of arms among the recruits (but all RHs).

Yah, this is all messed up. Would love to see all of our draft eligible guys return and bring home a Natty. I'm sure it's hard for them to turn down money, but they didn't lose any eligibility. Aside from the money, I wouldn't be in any rush to jump into the minor league grind. They could all benefit from another season at UM that would make them a better draft prospect and perhaps move thru the minor league system faster.

Selfishly, I hope our guys are not drafted high so they would return for another year. I feel that with Zamora back in the lineup and everyone else back, we have a top 3 loaded team ready to compete for a title.

It's going to be interesting to see what MLB does in the draft. How do you make a decision to draft anyone when everyone didn't play this year including high school kids. How do you evaluate a high school kid. He should have made his biggest jump his senior year from which his growth as a baseball player had to be stifled from Covid-19 shutting down the season.

Yah, this is all messed up. Would love to see all of our draft eligible guys return and bring home a Natty. I'm sure it's hard for them to turn down money, but they didn't lose any eligibility. Aside from the money, I wouldn't be in any rush to jump into the minor league grind. They could all benefit from another season at UM that would make them a better draft prospect and perhaps move thru the minor league system faster.

Selfishly, I hope our guys are not drafted high so they would return for another year. I feel that with Zamora back in the lineup and everyone else back, we have a top 3 loaded team ready to compete for a title.

It's going to be interesting to see what MLB does in the draft. How do you make a decision to draft anyone when everyone didn't play this year including high school kids. How do you evaluate a high school kid. He should have made his biggest jump his senior year from which his growth as a baseball player had to be stifled from Covid-19 shutting down the season.
Thing is, there isn’t a lot of money in this draft pool. I think a lot of college guys will want to come back. Not sure where the roster spots are.

Look at BVB. He’s not getting picked in a 5 round draft. So, he can come back or try to sign for $20k if he can get that. Is Toral putting himself in the draft for this money? I don’t think so. Zamora in a 5 round draft? No. I think Slade and McMahon will get their 1st round money. I know a couple recruits are up there too. But, this is 5 rounds.

Thing is, there isn’t a lot of money in this draft pool. I think a lot of college guys will want to come back. Not sure where the roster spots are.

Look at BVB. He’s not getting picked in a 5 round draft. So, he can come back or try to sign for $20k if he can get that. Is Toral putting himself in the draft for this money? I don’t think so. Zamora in a 5 round draft? No. I think Slade and McMahon will get their 1st round money. I know a couple recruits are up there too. But, this is 5 rounds.
Wow, I didn't realize that there was only going to be 5 rounds.

This greatly improves the odds we get most if not all our guys back.

Another bonus is that some of these guys could actually get their degrees after the 2021 seaon. That's a win/win for returning to school.

Advertisement
Wow, I didn't realize that there was only going to be 5 rounds.

This greatly improves the odds we get most if not all our guys back.

Another bonus is that some of these guys could actually get their degrees after the 2021 seaon. That's a win/win for returning to school.

By "all" I assume you mean position players, because McMahon and Cecconi are both gone unless these projections are way off - slot money for late first round is $2MM+.

Carmona was one of my favorite prospects, guess he realized he was way behind the other fresh arms and jetted.

We really, really need BVB back, we don't wanna be trotting out 3 new weekend starters.

No way we are Omaha bound losing BVB, CMac and Slade, I just don't see how

Carmona was one of my favorite prospects, guess he realized he was way behind the other fresh arms and jetted.

We really, really need BVB back, we don't wanna be trotting out 3 new weekend starters.

Hate on this take all you want but I don't see how this program is even close to Omaha bound in near future unless we are GIFTED a cake walk to Omaha like recent trips.

Hate on this take all you want but I don't see how this program is even close to Omaha bound in near future unless we are GIFTED a cake walk to Omaha like recent trips.
I think we had a shot last year even after the tight Gator series. Now that was assuming we hit better than we did the first 15 games but any team trotting out a weekend rotation of BVB/CMac/Slade had a chance to make it.

Advertisement
I think we had a shot last year even after the tight Gator series. Now that was assuming we hit better than we did the first 15 games but any team trotting out a weekend rotation of BVB/CMac/Slade had a chance to make it.
Can't argue that...... BUT for how elite our starting rotation was: Our bullpen was a hot mess, lack of clutch hitting (feast or famine on long ball), no speed on base paths to go along with **** poor base running, routine defensive plays not made along with routine things such as relays not being executed properly. The small sample size we had of the team last year was a prime example of how you waste an elite starting rotation.

this.

I said it in another post. we're cursed and just can't catch a break. even when it looks like we've started to rebuild the roster, none of our key players stick around long enough for us to build a great team.

Why isn't Tyler Paige in the portal? Man I hope Z comes back so we could stick Paige on the bench for good.

Can't argue that...... BUT for how elite our starting rotation was: Our bullpen was a hot mess, lack of clutch hitting (feast or famine on long ball), no speed on base paths to go along with **** poor base running, routine defensive plays not made along with routine things such as relays not being executed properly. The small sample size we had of the team last year was a prime example of how you waste an elite starting rotation.

While I agree with a lot of your points, if BVB does return, we could be fine if someone among AMac, Keysor, Gates, JC transfer, etc. steps up as a quality #2 starter. As talented as Cecconi is, he was only 7 - 5 in his career here w an ERA above 4.00. I wish him all the best, but as far as being someone who cranked out quality start after start like BVB does, he just never got there IMO.

2020 might have been his coming out in conference play and the post season, but now we'll never know. If one or two of the names I mentioned above can consistently eat up innings, we should be fine w the number of potential talented position players we'll return (not to mention the quality of the incoming freshmen class).

And who knows, maybe we get lucky and one of either Mederos or Rosario doesn't sign.

Advertisement
While I agree with a lot of your points, if BVB does return, we could be fine if someone among AMac, Keysor, Gates, JC transfer, etc. steps up as a quality #2 starter. As talented as Cecconi is, he was only 7 - 5 in his career here w an ERA above 4.00. I wish him all the best, but as far as being someone who cranked out quality start after start like BVB does, he just never got there IMO.

2020 might have been his coming out in conference play and the post season, but now we'll never know. If one or two of the names I mentioned above can consistently eat up innings, we should be fine w the number of potential talented position players we'll return (not to mention the quality of the incoming freshmen class).

And who knows, maybe we get lucky and one of either Mederos or Rosario doesn't sign.
Starting pitching hasn't been the issue for the canes the last 15 years. Regardless if BVB comes back we have to improve fundamentally. Little things have to become much much better to be a legit threat

Starting pitching hasn't been the issue for the canes the last 15 years. Regardless if BVB comes back we have to improve fundamentally. Little things have to become much much better to be a legit threat
We have had some bad rotations recently. This was the best Cane rotation in well over a decade, probably longer. Pitching is King in the postseason, we had a shot. If BVB comes back and I like the looks of AMac, Garland and Palmquist. We need to get better defensively and base running, that is obvious. We were 12-3 when they called the season and we gave the Gators 2 games.

IMO more than pitching we need some clutch young hitters in this lineup like ADC

We have had some bad rotations recently. This was the best Cane rotation in well over a decade, probably longer. Pitching is King in the postseason, we had a shot. If BVB comes back and I like the looks of AMac, Garland and Palmquist. We need to get better defensively and base running, that is obvious. We were 12-3 when they called the season and we gave the Gators 2 games.

IMO more than pitching we need some clutch young hitters in this lineup like ADC
The bats would have came alive as the season went out but our Mac and BVB were off to ridiculous starts and I feel it would have continued as the season went on. Slade would have found it too. Like you said the d and base running needed to be so much better and doing the little things right in baseball gets you a few more W's.

Advertisement
The bats would have came alive as the season went out but our Mac and BVB were off to ridiculous starts and I feel it would have continued as the season went on. Slade would have found it too. Like you said the d and base running needed to be so much better and doing the little things right in baseball gets you a few more W's.

Gil was horrible, needed to be benched and Zamora's bat being out hurt bad, he was clutch the year before vs plus-pitching. Actually Gil/Paige/Lala/ Gates/Thomas all were terrible the first 15 games at the plate. Lala looked like he was about to snap out of it and he is key to this lineup scoring. We really need a few of these freshman to show something at the plate.
I just read CMAC and BVB were both named All Americans btw

I‘m assuming Cecconi, McMahon, Zamora and Infante are gone. PG no longer has the second Sparber listed in our class. Before we find out what the two seniors do or whether any of our juniors decide to take 20K and run, that leaves us with 47 players.

I‘m assuming Cecconi, McMahon, Zamora and Infante are gone. PG no longer has the second Sparber listed in our class. Before we find out what the two seniors do or whether any of our juniors decide to take 20K and run, that leaves us with 47 players.

Going to be lots of transfers. D1 Baseball has Lauck, Pollak, Labrador, Moore, Carmona, and Crosbie already in the portal. I think most of our Juco recruits (outside of maybe Jake Smith) will probably end up elsewhere.

Team could be one of our most talented ever next year, but too early to say given all the roster uncertainity.

Even without Cecconi and McMahon, pitching staff looks in good hands with Mederos, Rosario, Smith, and Carlos Rodriguez all not being drafted. Would be even better if Van Belle is back.

Could also return 8/9 position starters, and Morales should be a Day 1 starter at SS.

Going to be lots of transfers. D1 Baseball has Lauck, Pollak, Labrador, Moore, Carmona, and Crosbie already in the portal. I think most of our Juco recruits (outside of maybe Jake Smith) will probably end up elsewhere.

Team could be one of our most talented ever next year, but too early to say given all the roster uncertainity.

Even without Cecconi and McMahon, pitching staff looks in good hands with Mederos, Rosario, Smith, and Carlos Rodriguez all not being drafted. Would be even better if Van Belle is back.

Could also return 8/9 position starters, and Morales should be a Day 1 starter at SS.
Didn’t know about Moore. Make it 46 players. We’ve started the Fall with 37 players before so a number closer to 40 wouldn’t shock me with the relaxed limits. If you’re right about the JUCOs, natural attrition in the recruiting class probably gets us most of the rest of the way.

Advertisement
Back