2021 Roster Discussion

Didn’t know about Moore. Make it 46 players. We’ve started the Fall with 37 players before so a number closer to 40 wouldn’t shock me with the relaxed limits. If you’re right about the JUCOs, natural attrition in the recruiting class probably gets us most of the rest of the way.

With the relaxed roster cap, I could see Gino going the path of the Rays and use a variation of the "opener" w all the quality arms we should have available (w the added benefit of being able to promise a lot of pitchers PT). Hopefully, a lot of our kids are good students and can get some academic aid to supplement the limited scholarship money.

Advertisement
With the relaxed roster cap, I could see Gino going the path of the Rays and use a variation of the "opener" w all the quality arms we should have available (w the added benefit of being able to promise a lot of pitchers PT). Hopefully, a lot of our kids are good students and can get some academic aid to supplement the limited scholarship money.

I love this idea. This is a great way to hopefully limit bullpen use and get the freshman innings without expecting them to go deep into games

With Van Belle signing, we'll have a new weekend rotation in 2021. Can't just replace what was probably the best 1-2-3 in college baseball but we do have a lot of talent coming in.

My early guess for the pitching staff, pending transfers of course is:

Fri: Gates
Sat: Jake Smith
Sun: Mederos

Midweek: McFarlane/Rosario

Closer: Palmquist
Set-up: Rosario/McFarlane, Federman, Carlos Rodriguez, Keysor (if he returns)
Bullpen: Garland, Fairweather, Bodanza, Munroe, Maury, Ruiz, Regalado, Thomas

With Van Belle signing, we'll have a new weekend rotation in 2021. Can't just replace what was probably the best 1-2-3 in college baseball but we do have a lot of talent coming in.

Yikes....

Advertisement

If McFarlane gets stronger over the off-season, I think he gets a shot at one of the weekend spots.

Care to explain?
3 unknowns on the mound. Gates looked great this year but I still haven't fully overcome his issues on the mound his freshman year.

I like the bullpen but we all know Dimare will mess that up.

Team has to outswing teams next year. Something were not good at. If this team doesn't figure out how to manufacture runs without the long ball I don't think we're a hosting club.

Seems about right. Depending on what else shapes up in the bullpen, Federman might be option to compete for a spot at the backend of the
weekend rotation given the decent success he had as a freshman in the midweek role. We have a lot pieces and JD’s track record gives me confidence it will get figured out.

Advertisement
3 unknowns on the mound. Gates looked great this year but I still haven't fully overcome his issues on the mound his freshman year.

I like the bullpen but we all know Dimare will mess that up.

Team has to outswing teams next year. Something were not good at. If this team doesn't figure out how to manufacture runs without the long ball I don't think we're a hosting club.

Unknowns but extremely talented. Mederos and Rosario are two of the most talented pitchers we've ever signed. Smith throws 96-98 with good offspeed stuff and the draft analysts think he could go 1st round next year. Rodriguez is a guy we also probably lose to the MLB draft in regular years.

We have either the #1 or #2 recruiting class in the country, so the talent is going to be there. And if our returning players are struggling to hit, then we have some very talented incoming position players like Kayfus and Born who will take their spot. Plus Morales is a huge upgrade over Tuero/Paige in the infield

Unknowns but extremely talented. Mederos and Rosario are two of the most talented pitchers we've ever signed. Smith throws 96-98 with good offspeed stuff and the draft analysts think he could go 1st round next year. Rodriguez is a guy we also probably lose to the MLB draft in regular years.

We have either the #1 or #2 recruiting class in the country, so the talent is going to be there. And if our returning players are struggling to hit, then we have some very talented incoming position players like Kayfus and Born who will take their spot. Plus Morales is a huge upgrade over Tuero/Paige in the infield
I like your optimism but this program really has to show me something. Especially Dimare & company. It's a broken record for far too long.

I like your optimism but this program really has to show me something. Especially Dimare & company. It's a broken record for far too long.

Agreed.

In order of importance:

pitching, defense, hitting

Unless the 1995 Braves pitching staff just enrolled, you can't lose your (very talented) starting rotation and feel good about it. It's whistling past the graveyard. This team will be talented next year, and have a deep roster. But even so, we will go as far as the starting rotation can take us.

Agreed.

In order of importance:

pitching, defense, hitting

Unless the 1995 Braves pitching staff just enrolled, you can't lose your (very talented) starting rotation and feel good about it. It's whistling past the graveyard. This team will be talented next year, and have a deep roster. But even so, we will go as far as the starting rotation can take us.

Dimare has been borderline terrible managing the pen (has cost us games with mismanagement)

Defense may have gotten worse since the Morris days (scary I know)

Team can't hit worth a lick unless someone smacks the long ball (situational hitting is as bad as it gets)

Advertisement
Potential starting lineup for next year:

C: Del Castillo
1B: Toral
2B: Vilar
SS: Morales
3B: Gil
RF: Rivera/Kayfus
CF: Jenkins/Born
LF: Lala
DH: Thomas

Bench C: Thomas, Perez, Ortiz, Quinnones
Bench INF: Tuero, Izarra, Ferraro, Valdez, Pitelli, Espinal, Paige
Bench OF: Born, Kayfus, Thomas, Long

Dimare has shown me a lot so far. Lets hope things are settled next year and can have a full season

Dimare has been borderline terrible managing the pen (has cost us games with mismanagement)

Defense may have gotten worse since the Morris days (scary I know)

Team can't hit worth a lick unless someone smacks the long ball (situational hitting is as bad as it gets)

This is why I love what BP Joe said. If we implement the opener it takes the pressure off the young guys who are used to starting. If you get a kid in his comfort zone (starting) and tell him to give you 2-3 innings it’s a lot less pressure than asking him to get you 5-7. Also your stuff will play up. Think starters in all star games who let it rip for 20 pitches. Also takes pressure off the bullpen at the end of games.

Advertisement
Shouldn't be much of a surprise but D1Baseball just added Tuero and Paige to the transfer portal.

Tuero has been a solid hitter when he's had an opportunity and can definitely start at a lot of schools, but with all the incoming middle infielders + Vilar returning he probably wasn't going to get that chance here.

Shouldn't be much of a surprise but D1Baseball just added Tuero and Paige to the transfer portal.

Tuero has been a solid hitter when he's had an opportunity and can definitely start at a lot of schools, but with all the incoming middle infielders + Vilar returning he probably wasn't going to get that chance here.

Tuero is a pure hitter and his defense was showing promise. Maybe the newcomers are that good, but this transfer will hurt our depth IMO.

Now 43 known roster options with BVB, Keysor, Tuero, and Paige gone. If only MKlein13 were still here for the Paige news.

Advertisement
Back