2021 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
We are going to have a bunch of really talented players on the team next year. If Jake Smith and some of these young pitchers are ready, watch out.

That seems like a nice addition on the grad market. Losing the weekend rotation hurts, but should be another strong squad next year.

Coach DiMare winning the board over?

That seems like a nice addition on the grad market. Losing the weekend rotation hurts, but should be another strong squad next year.

We've always known he can recruit, and he appears to be setting the expectations bar high. Now we want to see him develop these kids, improve the fundamentals and translate it into trips to Omaha on a frequent basis.

Advertisement
We've always known he can recruit, and he appears to be setting the expectations bar high. Now we want to see him develop these kids, improve the fundamentals and translate it into trips to Omaha on a frequent basis.
He has only had one chance to get to Omaha

Ben Wanger was second team All-American at USC for his pitching and hitting. Hit 410 at USC. Will probably bring up the team’s GPA by himself. Looks like a strong addition to the team. Good work by Gino constantly staying on top of the transfer portal.

Not a chance. He has been terrible as a day to day skipper. Recruiting is great. The guy needs to get his **** together as a manager.

I have heard from many different heads that he isn't liked down there and a lot of people think JD should have been given the reigns. I completely agree

Last edited:
Advertisement
With Van Belle signing, we'll have a new weekend rotation in 2021. Can't just replace what was probably the best 1-2-3 in college baseball but we do have a lot of talent coming in.

My early guess for the pitching staff, pending transfers of course is:

Fri: Gates
Sat: Jake Smith
Sun: Mederos

Midweek: McFarlane/Rosario

Closer: Palmquist
Set-up: Rosario/McFarlane, Federman, Carlos Rodriguez, Keysor (if he returns)
Bullpen: Garland, Fairweather, Bodanza, Munroe, Maury, Ruiz, Regalado, Thomas
Educate me on Jake Smith, can't find much on this cat

Other than Smith, who are the other JC commits?
Michael Rosario, Jordan Dubberly, Adam Frank, Anthony Arguelles, and Erick Orbeta were pre-COVID. PG currently has Smith, Rosario, and Dubberly listed as committed, but I’m not sure whether the others were in their listed in their system earlier or not.

Still taking a wait and see approach on Gino personally. The recruiting has been great, but the in-game decision making left a lot to be desired (especially against Florida).

Advertisement
Still taking a wait and see approach on Gino personally. The recruiting has been great, but the in-game decision making left a lot to be desired (especially against Florida).

Agreed. The future looks bright, but ultimately he botched his first year and left a lot to be desired. I’m hoping he used all this time off to study other coaches in game strategies and bullpen usage.there is way too much talent on this roster to have a repeat of last year.

who am I missing?

1B Toral, Kayfus
2B Vilar, Sagaro
SS Morales, Ferraro, Izarra, Pitelli
3B Gil, Ortiz, Espinal
C Del Castillo, Quinones, Perez, Sparber
DH Gates
OF Jenkins, Lala, Rivera, Thomas, Valdez, Born, Long

P McFarlane
P Garland
P Federman
P Maury
P Ruiz
P Palmquist
P Munroe
P Bodanza
P Gates

P Mederos
P Wanger
P Thomas
P Fairweather
P Smith
P Regalado
P Rosario
P Rodriguez

Advertisement
who am I missing?

1B Toral, Kayfus
2B Vilar, Sagaro
SS Morales, Ferraro, Izarra, Pitelli
3B Gil, Ortiz, Espinal
C Del Castillo, Quinones, Perez, Sparber
DH Gates
OF Jenkins, Lala, Rivera, Thomas, Valdez, Born, Long

P McFarlane
P Garland
P Federman
P Maury
P Ruiz
P Palmquist
P Munroe
P Bodanza
P Gates

P Mederos
P Wanger
P Thomas
P Fairweather
P Smith
P Regalado
P Rosario
P Rodriguez

I think Sparber got dropped from the recruiting class. Looks good otherwise, depending on what happens with the rest of those Juco commits @scane posted

That's something that can only take place in Omaha.

On the JUCO transfer front, Adam Frank is playing for the Wisconsin Woodchucks in the Northwoods League with his school listed as the University of Miami. Seems like a decent indication he’s still coming.

I don’t see any of our other players or potential players on summer ball rosters. Florida seems to be taking the opposite approach with Mace, Leftwich, and Fabian playing for the Orlando Scorpions.

Baseball America listed Del Castillo as the #3 college player for the 2021 draft in their updated rankings.

Seems like if he shows teams he can stick at catcher he has a good chance of being the 1st position player off the board

Advertisement
Back