2021 Recruiting

Advertisement
*sigh* I wish we could get a big splash commit in basketball like we did with our football team. We were kinda close with Carey and Barnes I guess, but not looking like we get anyone close to that caliber this cycle.

Thanks for saying what I've been thinking. All these posts about talented guys that commit elsewhere, and some Miami "offers" or "considering" that never seem to hit HOME (since Earl T), are kinda depressing. Appreciate the info, of course.

Advertisement

Point guard dominoes about to fall?

The chatter has picked up for Angelo Brizzi to pick Villanova. Wouldn’t that be a great string of days if Brizzi and Jordan Longino, who is set to announce his decision tonight, team up together on the Main Line? Brizzi picking Nova could impact fellow point guards Rahsool Diggins, Stevie Mitchell and Bensley Joseph.

With Villanova out for Diggins after Brizzi's commitment, it feels like a Florida-UConn battle, with the Huskies having a slight lead. North Carolina is silently working things behind the scenes but has not offered.

Meanwhile, the talk surrounding Mitchell is that he would like to play closer to home in college. Villanova could be out which means the nearest program to his Reading, Penn., locale is Temple. The Owls hold my FutureCast prediction and no one has recruited him harder than Aaron McKie and his staff. Marquette, which is also in need of a point guard, is also looking at Mitchell.

With Joseph, Miami holds my FutureCast prediction with a commitment not too far away, but Marquette is also involved here, too.

It looks like more names will come off the board soon.

Really think the staff needs to cast a wider net. Its like they only offer 1 dude per position at a time.

In fairness, when the staff hits it big, they hit it big. Unfortunately, there are some swing and misses along the way.

How do they balance their deep roots in the DMV, Phila and the Northeast while trying to add new territories.

Ask yourself, if Wesley Cardet and Josh Minnot were already committed, how would you feel? Both of those guys are within a hour of campus.

The staff is obviously hunting for big fish right now so patience is needed.

Advertisement
Bensley Joseph just picked up at CB to Miami with a confidence of 7 from Brian Dohn at 247.

Boston kid, spent some extra time looking through his highlights. Reminds me a bit of another Boston legend(kinda) in Rajon Rondo. Around 6 feet but with a huge wingspan, good finisher at the rim. Not too athletic and I'm not sure about his passing, but he looks solid all around and his frame should make him a decent defender. Not a bad start at all for the 2021 class assuming he commits.

Advertisement
Interesting that Rivals and 247 have him as a 3 star but the composite has him as a mid-four. Isn't ESPN the only other service that goes into the Comp?

Yes but honestly, rankings are overrated. I put more value in watching film. His film shows him being a scoring point guard as I have not seen many assist when I watch him play.

Friendly Recruiting reminder:

In order to get to five scholarship players for the 2021 recruiting class, Miami will offer approximately 40 players and be listed in probably 20 top or final list. Miami will probably conduct 10 official visits (once they are allowed).
All of this is part of the recruiting process so don't get to low with the low moments nor to high with the high moments.
There are still a lot of good players on our board.

Advertisement

4. MIAMI
Earl Timberlake will enroll at Miami this fall and Jim Larranaga would love nothing more than to bring his former travel program teammate to south Florida for his own college career. Distance could be a factor with the ongoing pandemic in mind, which has made things more regionalized of late, but if Warley were to play in the ACC and it not be at Virginia, it would happen at Miami.

Big game hunting

4. MIAMI
Earl Timberlake will enroll at Miami this fall and Jim Larranaga would love nothing more than to bring his former travel program teammate to south Florida for his own college career. Distance could be a factor with the ongoing pandemic in mind, which has made things more regionalized of late, but if Warley were to play in the ACC and it not be at Virginia, it would happen at Miami.

Big game hunting

Per Fansided, " Warley is likely to thrive and feel the most comfortable in a system with a strong defensive philosophy and a more traditional offensive approach for him to create." Sounds like a definition of UVA to me.

Last edited:
Per Fansided, " Warley is likely to thrive and feel the most comfortable in a system with a strong defensive philosophy and a more traditional offensive approach for him to create." Sounds like a definition of UVA to me.
The anti Jim Larranaga quote right in regards to system and philosophy lmao

Last edited:
I don’t post much in here because most of you know my stance on Jim and his staff. I do always consistently check on it though.

All things considered, yet again, like deja vu, the staff just doesn’t seem relentless in any thing they do. Transfer market, Roster management, recruiting (if they have to go past their #1 or 2 on big board), preparedness, in game coaching/adjustments. It all just seems like the bare minimum and has for going on 3 years now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back