2020 Spring Practice Summary - 3/3

Love everything I'm hearing, and been told yall King was the truth.

The only thing that I hope to God gets worked out is that **** OL.

I read that Zion got abused all day by Rousseau & Phillips, they obviously moved him to RT but the problem is his backup Herbert is drastically worse.

We got 1 scholly left, need to bring in an OT, our season can't hinge on Zion or Herbert, the two of them need to sit their asses on the bench for the whole year, can't fck this year up waiting on these dudes to learn how to get their feet urnder them.

Oh and the Deep ball at CB is gonna be a problem too, gotta play a lot of Double High this year lol.

Aside from that, I'm excited.

Coached Justice messed around an missed on Cochran the Vandy OT grad transfer, the young man was battle tested against SEC dlinemen. I wasn't completely sold on the Stanford kids. At this point after spring I have a feeling the quality of the linemen in the transfer portal will drop off dramatically.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Coached Justice messed around an missed on Cochran the Vandy OT grad transfer, the young man was battle tested against SEC dlinemen. I wasn't completely sold on the Stanford kids. At this point after spring I have a feeling the quality of the linemen in the transfer portal will drop off dramatically.

Go Canes
That's not on Justice, I don't even believe he was hired when those guys were still available.

Manny didn't make finding a GT OT a priority this offseason which is why we missed on at least 3 or 4 Grad Tackles.

We were mostly focused on finding a QB & getting Roche.

Go Canes
He picked Ga Tech clearly the kid has other priorities on his mind than football

We got more of a look at the 2020 Miami Hurricanes today, as the media was allowed to take in a full practice, which lasted about an hour and a half. The team was again in helmets and shorts, so take everything with a grain of salt, but I was able to takeaway a more than a few tidbits from Tuesday’s session.

-The overarching difference from last year? The pace on offense, which was rapid and constant in between reps throughout the day. Coaches made it a point to get on players that walked off the field and might have disrupted the next play.

-I thought the star of the day was D’Eriq King, who took most of the first team reps at QB today. He was working all levels of the field, and in particular had impressive deep shots for TD’s in 11-on-11 work to Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope, and Keyshawn Smith. King even made his presence felt on the ground scrambling away from pressure multiple times to extend plays. On one play, he scrambled right, evaded a defender, and lobbed a rainbow just over a defenders head to Mark Pope on the sidelines for about 20 yards. The Canes have yet to officially name a starter at QB, but today could mark the beginning of King running away with the job.

-Another interesting takeaway at QB was that Tyler Van Dyke was the second QB to get on the field in 11-on-11 work, as the freshman led the second team offense over N’Kosi Perry. Of course, that could be a one day thing, but it is something to take note of for sure. Van Dyke wasn’t nearly as impressive as King but had a few nice throws as well, and also showed he had some wheels to scramble and get out of the pocket if necessary. Perry was 3rd up; he had a great throw on a deep out to Mike Harley at one point. 4th was Tate Martell and 5th was Peyton Matocha; neither stood out much today, with Martell throwing a bad pick to Keontra Smith on one play.

-The offensive line wasn’t opening many holes on the ground, so the running back group didn’t have much room to run. Robert Burns took the first snaps in 11-on-11, but Cam Harris probably had the most impressive run of the day, busting up the gut behind DJ Scaife for a good 20-25 yard pickup.

-The story of the day at receiver were the freshmen, each of whom made multiple plays. The biggest day went to Keyshawn Smith though, as the Californian got behind the defense multiple times in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 play. He also whipped Al Blades pretty bad in 1-on-1’s. Dazalin Worsham showed skills as a smooth route runner, and Xavier Restrepo was a dynamo in the slot, in particular taking a swing screen and making a few people miss for a nice gain. Ultimately, these guys certainly have the ability to play early.

-Not to be left out, the starting receivers made a ton of plays too. Dee Wiggins toasted Christian Williams deep for a TD, and both Mike Harley and Mark Pope worked the middle of the field all day. Tight end Will Mallory got into the action as well, and he created huge separation from Amari Carter on a crossing route for a TD. This certainly has the look of a very receiver-friendly offense in the early going.

-The offensive line experienced a ton of rotation early in the day, but by the end of the day, the offense began multiple sessions in the same way, so I’m pretty confident in saying this was the line Miami likes as of Day 2 of spring. First team from left to right was Campbell-Traore-Gaynor-Scaife-Nelson/Herbert; Nelson and Herbert were still switching back and forth at right tackle regularly by the end of practice. Overall, the line wasn’t great in run blocking, but was a little better in pass protection, and that was aided by the scrambling ability of King.

-On the DL, Jaelan Phillips, with the second team, sacked N’Kosi Perry in 11-on-11. Jordan Miller also blew up a fullback dive in the backfield, while Jon Ford shot a gap to force a King throwaway. Greg Rousseau continues to look like a force, as he dismantled a screen play from the get-go as well.

-Keontra Smith began his transition to striker from safety, mostly working on the second team behind Gilbert Frierson. By the end of practice, though, Smith was even getting first team reps, and he had the aforementioned interception of Martell, jumping an underneath route. Strong day for the sophomore. Zach McCloud looked stout in the middle as well and had a strong PBU on King, stepping in front of a slant and rising up high to bat away the ball.

-Christian Williams got introduced to the first unit at corner today by Dee Wiggins, who promptly took him deep for a TD on the first play of 7-on-7. I thought Williams recovered nicely after that though and had an above average day at corner, even picking off a pass later in the day. Amari Carter in particular looked to be a step quicker from last year and was a bit better in space than usual today, breaking up a pass intended for Mallory at one point.

-On special teams, Keyshawn Smith, Cam Harris, Mark Pope, and Jaylan Knighton were rotating at kick returner to start, and Xavier Restrepo got some looks as well later on.

Injury Update

-TE Brevin Jordan showed up at the end of practice in a boot on his left foot. S Bubba Bolden (ankle) dressed but continues to do work off to the side; he also seemed to be taking mental reps and watching on in the middle of the field with the coaches giving him the calls at one point as well. Freshman LB Corey Flagg was walking around gingerly with a brace on his left knee. OL Navaughn Donaldson was moving a bit better with only a sleeve on his left knee.

Notable 1-on-1‘s

-DJ Ivey stuck with Pope

-Christian Williams stuck with Wiggins deep

-Keyshawn Smith beat Blades

-Couch beat Payton

-Keontra Smith beat Larry Hodges

-Dominic Mammarelli beat Keshawn Washington

-Harley beat Gurvan Hall

1st Team Offense

QB: D’Eriq King
RB: Robert Burns
WR: Dee Wiggins
WR: Mark Pope
Slot: Mike Harley
TE: Will Mallory
LT: John Campbell
LG: Ousman Traore
C: Corey Gaynor
RG: DJ Scaife
RT: Kai-Leon Herbert/Zion Nelson

2nd Team Offense

QB: Tyler Van Dyke
RB: Cam Harris
WR: Jeremiah Payton
WR: Dazalin Worsham
Slot: Marshall Few
TE: Larry Hodges
LT: Zalon’tae Hillery
LG: Jalen Rivers
C: Jakai Clark
RG: Cleveland Reed
RT: Kai-Leon Herbert/Zion Nelson

First Team Defense

DE: Gregory Rousseau
DT: Jalar Holley
DT: Nesta Silvera
DE: Quincy Roche
WILL: Ryan Ragone
MIKE: Zach McCloud
STRK: Gilbert Frierson
CB: Christian Williams
CB: DJ Ivey
S: Gurvan Hall
S: Amari Carter

2nd Team Defense

DE: Jaelan Phillips
DT: Jon Ford
DT: Jared Harrison-Hunte
DE: Jahfari Harvey
WILL: Avery Huff
MIKE: Patrick Joyner
STRK: Keontra Smith
CB: Te’Cory Couch
CB: Al Blades
S: Keshawn Washington
S: Andrew Barnes
Glad to see they moved Zion to the right side. Can’t go through another season depending on him to lock down the left/blind side, to much of a liability. I’m hoping Herbert finally wakes up and becomes the player his blue chip ranking says he was gonna be. Also think Campbell is the most naturally gifted tackle on the team aside from freshman rivers. Here’s to hoping Campbell can lock down that side of the line.

He needed to be redshirted his Freshman season & he simply has no idea what to do with his feet.

He gets beat so easily because as soon as the ball is snapped he just standing there like he's waiting in line at the bank, kid can't anchor to save his life.

He was a huge liability at LT & if he's being moved to RT & still getting speed rushed it's pretty clear OT just ain't for him.
I’ve been saying this exact thing since day one Liberty and of course the Zion armchair slurper brigade keeps defending the bum and I say bum, as in a power five olineman. Not as a group of five olineman which is where he belonged from the start which is why he was going to app state till out of desperation we gave him an offer which just highlights how god awful our oline recruiting was. The kid has no feel for the position, cannot explode out of his stance when the ball is snapped to save his life (someone please get this kid doing some powercleans) although I don’t think it would matter, when he does “praise the lord” actually get out of his stance before the D end is already around him and has a chance to block the guy, his footwork is so awful that he steps himself right out of position. The kid is a jag and the sooner people accept it the better. If he’s starting anywhere on the line again this year it’s gonna be another long season. He’s nothing more then a depth player at this level plain and simple. Those are the cold hard facts for the Zion defender brigade!

Advertisement
Most important off field move left between now and August is to find a quality grad transfer at OT. We cannot rely on Nelson or any of the other guys to get it done on the field. Besides, injuries happen. And we can’t have Herbert or Hillery seeing meaningful snaps at tackle.

We are not that deep at WR, they will get reps.. They have no choice

Go Canes
He wanted to play closer to home

Advertisement

I read that Zion got abused all day by Rousseau & Phillips, they obviously moved him to RT but the problem is his backup Herbert

We got 1 scholly left, need to bring in an OT, our season can't hinge on Zion or Herbert, the two of them need to sit their asses on the bench for the whole year, can't fck this year up waiting on these dudes to learn how to get their feet urnder them.

Oh and the Deep ball at CB is gonna be a problem too, gotta play a lot of Double High this year lol.

Searls ****ed us

And why Is Rumph still here again?

Most important off field move left between now and August is to find a quality grad transfer at OT. We cannot rely on Nelson or any of the other guys to get it done on the field. Besides, injuries happen. And we can’t have Herbert or Hillery seeing meaningful snaps at tackle.

The list is really thin but I agree. If we can't find a decent one I hope they sign Moise. Even if he has to academic redshirt.

Advertisement
We are so thin at safety, cant wait til Harrell and Bolam come in and add some depth back there, also hoping they can make an immediate impact on special teams because when our walkons (Murphy) start to become more impactful players our team Is trash.

He needed to be redshirted his Freshman season & he simply has no idea what to do with his feet.

He gets beat so easily because as soon as the ball is snapped he just standing there like he's waiting in line at the bank, kid can't anchor to save his life.

He was a huge liability at LT & if he's being moved to RT & still getting speed rushed it's pretty clear OT just ain't for him.
Paragraph two is the the most accurate statement I have read this year. A lot of omg and wtf moments last year were Zion driven.

I’m sure I’ll be called names and told I’m crazy, but Brevin still in a boot is very concerning to me. I HATE foot injuries. They are often more unpredictable than even knee or other joint issues. They linger. And this kid is still in a boot 4 months after he last played? He either had a very serious injury or he had some sort of setback.

I wouldn’t even mind if he was only sitting out, that’s fine. But still in a boot scares me. Color me concerned.
Maybe he’s had surgery? If so it’s not an concern let the young boys get snaps, brevin is honestly injury prone so it’s good the young guys getting reps just in case. But i think he’ll be fine.

Advertisement

I read that Zion got abused all day by Rousseau & Phillips, they obviously moved him to RT but the problem is his backup Herbert is drastically worse.

I like the fact of Zion getting his a$$ kicked by Rousseau. This should make him better going up against such talent in practice. It reminds me of a podcast where that 1s vs 1s philosophy was touted for developing Rusty Medearis into a monster by taking some serious beatings in practice from Leon Searcy. Hopefully it works again.

Maybe he’s had surgery? If so it’s not an concern let the young boys get snaps, brevin is honestly injury prone so it’s good the young guys getting reps just in case. But i think he’ll be fine.

So if he had surgery on his foot that means it’s not a concern. LMAO.

Advertisement
Back