2020 Spring Practice Summary - 3/3

Advertisement
Play a lot of Double High? Enter Bubba Bolden.

I am not ready to give up on Zion just yet. Call me crazy. He has the natural physical tools and he showed flashes last year of what he could become. (FSU game, UL game)

For this one year, King will make our OL look better than it did last year but than we will run into the same issue in 2021 if we don't get it squared away.

Zion, unfortunately, appears to be JAG material. The signs were there from G1 last year, with no doubt left by UCG's bowl game humiliation. With more than sufficient time to get better, no progress is being shown.

Ouch.

Advertisement
He said he was fine and doing good health wise on Ig live a few days ago but they are holding guys out basically for spring even with slight injuries . Games aren’t played in the spring so I’m not that concerned.
It's a concern but it'll be good for all parties benefit to bring Brev along slowly. Give him as much time as he needs while giving valuable reps to the other TE's. If he's still in a boot or highly limited in July then we can go into a full on panic mode.

Watch all these QBs get significantly better under Lashlee. I don't think any of them were good fits for Richt's or Enos' system. King is going to make our offense fun again. And we're finally going to make use of our speedy receivers.

OT is biggest concern and it's not even close. Nelson whiffing again even in helmets and shorts. Bleh. Scaife paying at guard is where he naturally should be. But assuming Donaldson returns over the summer, coaches will probably bump him back to tackle since we have no other good options.

Will Burns put together his first good season since his Sophomore year in HS? If he keeps this up in Spring Ball, I'm going to vote for him as the potential breakout player of the year. ... No injuries, Bobby!

McCloud becoming the featured leader of the defense is nice to see. Return for you final year and we build the brand around you. I like it. And it looks like he's embracing his role.
I understand everyone being down on Zion right now, and scaife definitely is a natural guard. But Donaldson is in no way shape or form a tackle. ND is obese and has terrible footwork, if anything, I would prefer to see Rivers get a crack at one of the tackle spots before Donaldson or even Campbell.

Advertisement
Miami always treats injuries as if it's Fort Knox, they keep everything as tip top classified secret information, they tell us it's a minor injury & then the kid sits out for like 8 months lol.

I expect Brevin back by Fall, but with this staff every injury has potential to be worse than whatever they initially say it is.

One of my biggest gripes. I went back and forth with so many people on here about the Lingard injury. Just makes no sense to me why it’s such a state secret. We’re a middle of the road team in a horrendous division and you’d think a kid’s tweaked hamstring or a sprained shoulder in March is an injury to a QB the night before the Super Bowl.

I understand everyone being down on Zion right now, and scaife definitely is a natural guard. But Donaldson is in no way shape or form a tackle. ND is obese and has terrible footwork, if anything, I would prefer to see Rivers get a crack at one of the tackle spots before Donaldson or even Campbell.

Sorry, I was too ambiguous when I wrote: "Scaife playing at guard is where he naturally should be. But assuming Donaldson returns over the summer, coaches will probably bump him back to tackle since we have no other good options." By "him", I meant Scaife.

They have Scaife at OG now. But when Donaldson comes back, they're going to put Donaldson in at OG and bump Scaife back to OT.

I want Scaife to stay at OG. The problem is he's our best tackle option, too. So the only way he stays at guard is to find two guys to fill LT and RT who can play as well or better than Scaife can. That only happens is if we miraculously find a quality OT grad transfer AND Campbell takes a huge year-3 leap.

Sorry, I was too ambiguous when I wrote: "Scaife playing at guard is where he naturally should be. But assuming Donaldson returns over the summer, coaches will probably bump him back to tackle since we have no other good options." By "him", I meant Scaife.

They have Scaife at OG now. But when Donaldson comes back, they're going to put Donaldson in at OG and bump Scaife back to OT.

I want Scaife to stay at OG. The problem is he's our best tackle option, too. So the only way he stays at guard is to find two guys to fill LT and RT who can play as well or better than Scaife can. That only happens is if we miraculously find a quality OT grad transfer AND Campbell takes a huge year-3 leap.
True. It's definitely hard seeing Scaife not take one of the tackle spots but I have a hard time seeing ND succeeding in Lashlee's uptempo system unless he gets to around 335-340 at least. Also, still surprised to not see Clark on the first team but lots of practice left. The lineup that I was initially thinking LTR: Zion, Clark, Gaynor, Scaife, Rivers. Of course though Campbell has been put back at tackle and Rivers is starting as a guard, I like that flipped, but hopefully Justice finds the right fit for everyone.

Advertisement
I’m sure I’ll be called names and told I’m crazy, but Brevin still in a boot is very concerning to me. I HATE foot injuries. They are often more unpredictable than even knee or other joint issues. They linger. And this kid is still in a boot 4 months after he last played? He either had a very serious injury or he had some sort of setback.

I wouldn’t even mind if he was only sitting out, that’s fine. But still in a boot scares me. Color me concerned.
See this is post? Listen to it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back