2020 Spring Practice Summary - 3/3

View as article
Thanks to Stacy Searles for refusing to recruit any offensive tackles while he was here we’re stuck with playing guards out of position or long term projects. Zion Nelson should be where Adam El Gamal is right now. A guy coming off a redshirt who’s still developing his body and technique. Someone who probably won’t play much as a red shirt freshman but should push for playing time as a redshirt sophomore next season. Even really good tackle recruits rarely start as freshmen most don’t even play at all. This is why you can’t just NOT take at least one tackle every year. I mean how much better would you feel if we had a 3* senior JAG playing tackle? I know it’s not ideal but just having an OK player with experience out there would be a huge upgrade over what we have now.

What are the chances of Reed being moved to first team guard and playing Scaife at RT? Outside of a transfer, that might be our best scenario

Advertisement
...I mean how much better would you feel if we had a 3* senior JAG playing tackle? I know it’s not ideal but just having an OK player with experience out there would be a huge upgrade over what we have now...

So...Zalontae Hillery?

Is he a senior who’s just OK? Because that’s better than a sophomore who’s terrible

We've recruited 10 tackles since 2016.

With due respect, your entire previous post was nonsense.

Giving up on Zion after last season would be foolish and shortsighted.

Expecting that young man to throw on 60+ pounds of weight in a matter of months, then askIng him to perform at a high level with it at one of the toughest positions in football was one of several major fails by last year’s staff.

Remember he was asked to do this as a true freshman in a poorly conceived offense that was terribly coached in front of disinterested to incompetent QB play.

Despite all that he showed plenty of flashes of solid potential. He just needs time and good coaching imo.

Not selling Zion stock yet.

Advertisement

Expecting that young man to throw on 60+ pounds of weight in a matter of months, then askIng him to perform at a high level with it at one of the toughest positions in football was one of several major fails by last year’s staff.

Remember he was asked to do this as a true freshman in a poorly conceived offense that was terribly coached in front of disinterested to incompetent QB play.

Despite all that he showed plenty of flashes of solid potential. He just needs time and good coaching imo.

giphy.gif

We've recruited 10 tackles since 2016.

With due respect, your entire previous post was nonsense.
What tackles have we signed? I mean actual tackles not guys who played tackle in high school but were projected to play guard in college.

Edit: I went back and looked. From 2016-2018 (guys that would be upperclassmen now) we signed 3 guys expected to play tackle. McDonaldson, Herbert and Campbell. One is a guard, one is a bust and the other is a starter at tackle. If you’re hoping to go 100% on evaluations then signing 3 tackles over 3 years might work. That’s a completely unrealistic philosophy though.

Last edited:
What tackles have we signed? I mean actual tackles not guys who played tackle in high school but were projected to play guard in college.

I don't know. You tell me.
Which of these guys was projected to play guard?
Tre Johnson
Dykstra
Hillary
McDonaldson
Herbert
Campbell
Nelson
ElGammal

I don't know. You tell me.
Which of these guys was projected to play guard?
Tre Johnson
Dykstra
Hillary
McDonaldson
Herbert
Campbell
Nelson
ElGammal

Dykstra and Hillary were guards from day 1. Maybe Tre Johnson was a projected tackle but I have no idea who he is and he’s definitely not on the team anymore. Nelson and ElGammal are 2019 recruits that were brought in by Butch Barry. So you’ve got 3, 4 (if you want to count Johnson) tackle prospects over a 3 year period. Certainly a great recipe for setting up future depth

Advertisement

It was clear by the CMU game that Zion didn't belong out there. Butch Barry is an *******.

Dykstra and Hillary were guards from day 1. Maybe Tre Johnson was a projected tackle but I have no idea who he is and he’s definitely not on the team anymore. Nelson and ElGammal are 2019 recruits that were brought in by Butch Barry. So you’ve got 3, 4 (if you want to count Johnson) tackle prospects over a 3 year period. Certainly a great recipe for setting up future depth

We've got guys who can play tackle. We've just had **** for coaching. Watch Justice turn this line into a real ******* unit.

This OL man.... what a shame they’re going to be such a handicap AGAIN. I fully expect Lashlee’s twitter account to be sponsored by Jim Beam by week 5. At least he won’t make the problems shine brighter, like the last guy. (I hope).

Advertisement
-The offensive line experienced a ton of rotation early in the day, but by the end of the day, the offense began multiple sessions in the same way, so I’m pretty confident in saying this was the line Miami likes as of Day 2 of spring. First team from left to right was Campbell-Traore-Gaynor-Scaife-Nelson/Herbert; Nelson and Herbert were still switching back and forth at right tackle regularly by the end of practice. Overall, the line wasn’t great in run blocking, but was a little better in pass protection, and that was aided by the scrambling ability of King.

All the rest of this faded to black for me like some sort of reoccuring PTSD image related to watching underperforming O-lines. Yep 'scrambling ability' diminishes sacks, but deflates your trust of pass blocking or picking up blitzes - that also sounds like most of our wishful thinking the last few years - take anything looking positive for the O-Line. And come on, run blocking is off-season weight room driven and we're already a little short of RBs.

If they're average we can play, but when's the last time a Canes line was even average? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I can't take another season of O-line woes, I simply can't.

He needed to be redshirted his Freshman season & he simply has no idea what to do with his feet.

He gets beat so easily because as soon as the ball is snapped he just standing there like he's waiting in line at the bank, kid can't anchor to save his life.

He was a huge liability at LT & if he's being moved to RT & still getting speed rushed it's pretty clear OT just ain't for him.

Such advanced and difficult concepts for Muppets to understand.

Advertisement
This OL man.... what a shame they’re going to be such a handicap AGAIN. I fully expect Lashlee’s twitter account to be sponsored by Jim Beam by week 5. At least he won’t make the problems shine brighter, like the last guy. (I hope).
Thing is, his QBs get the ball out quick, so that'll take pressure off the OL. I don't expect our line to look anywhere near as bad this year.

Thing is, his QBs get the ball out quick, so that'll take pressure off the OL. I don't expect our line to look anywhere near as bad this year.
Yeah, but people have to be open for you to get the ball out quick, it was times where our Wr's got no separation from defenders, that CAN NOT happen with a bad Oline

Yeah, but people have to be open for you to get the ball out quick, it was times where our Wr's got no separation from defenders, that CAN NOT happen with a bad Oline
Neither can PA passes that require a QB with no vision or instincts to turn his back and pray for the best. Our O, the way it was designed last year, was the absolute worst thing that could have happened for our OL.

It was clear by the CMU game that Zion didn't belong out there. Butch Barry is an *******.

For every horrible game he had, there is a game I can show you where he **** sure held his own and showed what he could become. At this point, you can't redshirt Zion. Its too late. That ship has sailed. Playing the "what we SHOULD have done.." game is pointless. We need him because we have no one else.

Advertisement
Back