2020 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
He can go D2 or JuCo right away and play, wouldn't be suprised by UTampa, Nova Southeastern, or a JUCO
Having already played 2 years, JUCO is not an option. College Baseball is usually pretty lax on not sitting out a year. Could also end up at FIU, FAU, FGCU, etc.

Having already played 2 years, JUCO is not an option. College Baseball is usually pretty lax on not sitting out a year. Could also end up at FIU, FAU, FGCU, etc.

You're right about Juco, I forgot he is going to be a junior. Thanks.

I thought D1 - D1 transfers in baseball were usually an auto 1 year sit, maybe things have changed in the last few years with the portal.

Advertisement
So Lugo, Evan, Ameditis are gone, Escala transfers out. Keysor, Veliz, Mixon, and the 2 other high schoolers are left. I’d assume the high schoolers sign and I say we get one of Keysor or Mixon back.

So Lugo, Evan, Ameditis are gone, Escala transfers out. Keysor, Veliz, Mixon, and the 2 other high schoolers are left. I’d assume the high schoolers sign and I say we get one of Keysor or Mixon back.

Sure hope we get McFarlane to campus if Eskew signs. Eskew is the bigger risk of losing it appears, based on who drafted the two (AZ has the big bonus money pool that was discussed in the other thread, and St Louis took a lot of pitchers ahead of McFarlane).

Sure hope we get McFarlane to campus if Eskew signs. Eskew is the bigger risk of losing it appears, based on who drafted the two (AZ has the big bonus money pool that was discussed in the other thread, and St Louis took a lot of pitchers ahead of McFarlane).
We need all the pitchers we could get. Starters I’m not worried about. The pen needs work obviously.

For what it's worth, from thecardinalnation.com:

25th round, 755th overall

RHP Alexander McFarlane
Habersham Central High School, Mt. Airy, Georgia
6’3”, 173 pounds
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Commitment: University of Miami (FL)

This is a pick with a major signability question. Most high school players, especially ones committed to top colleges, will not sign this late, so the Cardinals might need to hand over some extra money to convince McFarlane to forego his commitment.

If McFarlane ends up signing with the Cardinals, then they are getting a raw prospect with very good potential. He has yet to turn 18 years old, and there is plenty of projectability left in his 6’3” frame.

He throws from a ¾ arm slot with a fastball that can top out at 94 mph, but usually hovers in the low 90s. The fastball has some occasional cutting action when he throws it well, but other times it has a dangerous tendency to stay straight.

His main secondary pitch is an above-average slider with late break that sits at 77-80 mph. He has also shown decent feel for a big, sweeping curveball with occasional tight spin. However, the pitch still needs plenty of development. He also throws a fringy changeup, but it is not a great pitch as he is unable to repeat his arm action very often.

He can struggle with control at times, but he has a very athletic build that should allow him to repeat his delivery more often as he develops. Once he develops his body and learns to repeat his delivery, he could have 3 or 4 plus pitches and the ability to pitch out of the rotation

It is unlikely that McFarlane will sign, but if he does, the Cardinals made a selection that could pay off in the distant future.

Advertisement
Lugo reportedly signed for $1.1 million

As expected. I think I said between 1-1.5. Good for the kid. Thought he could’ve developed here and been a top 10 pick but anybody that turns down seven figures is an idiot. I think it’ll take him 4-5 years to become a big leaguer unless he gets a lot bigger in a hurry

Advertisement
Keysor is coming back

The really big news. He was pitched really well the 2nd half of the season and he'll probably be our midweek starter in 2020.

We should have a very good pitching staff, and if we get Eskew and Gates pitches to his potential it could be the best staff we've had since 2014

I'd be very surprised if McFarlane signs, especially since St Louis hasnt saved much money in their bonus pool so far.

Eskew seems like the one to watch

As expected. I think I said between 1-1.5. Good for the kid. Thought he could’ve developed here and been a top 10 pick but anybody that turns down seven figures is an idiot. I think it’ll take him 4-5 years to become a big leaguer unless he gets a lot bigger in a hurry

$1.1MM?

LOL .

Hardly life changing money, to anyone not living in a trailer park, but if that what's the kid wants to do, then that's his decision. Just don't make it sound like he was a B round investor in Facebook.

Advertisement
$1.1MM?

LOL .

Hardly life changing money, to anyone not living in a trailer park, but if that what's the kid wants to do, then that's his decision. Just don't make it sound like he was a B round investor in Facebook.

He’s a teenager. How is that not life changing money?

Sign on the dotted line and get $1.1 million or go to Miami for 3 years while collecting debt and hope to get picked in the first round. It’s ignorant to advise the kid or hope he does anything other than to go pro.

“If that’s what he wants to do.” Lol ok

This...and I don't say this lightly...might be the single douchiest post in the history of this website.

Absolutely.

It is also grossly misinformed. A good accountant nets you $750,000 of that bonus. Invest that at 7.5% per annum over 50 years (kid is 18) and you have $28M for retirement. At 10%, he retires with $88M. Even at 5%, he nets $8.6M (which is $2M after inflation assuming 3% inflation).....

If they offer more than $800,000 in signing bonus, then you should sign...

Last edited:
I'd be very surprised if McFarlane signs, especially since St Louis hasnt saved much money in their bonus pool so far.

Eskew seems like the one to watch

St. Louis can offer up to $700,000 for an after 10th round guy at this point. They might save a few dollars on Ralston or one of the other guys, but I wouldn't bank on much.

I think they sign Jack Owens (Auburn sophomore lefty), the high school kids they picked prior to round 21, and then one of the Juco kids with that money. If they throw it all at McFarlane, or a Vanderbilt recruit they took late, they might entice one to sign, but I'd doubt it.

Advertisement
Back