2020 Recruiting.

Lastly, John Hugley will visit Pitt for the second consecutive weekend and while he has been adamant about taking all of his visits before deciding, don’t be shocked if Hugley gives his pledge to the Panthers despite having a Kansas State visit aligned for next weekend.

C John Hugley was suppose to visit Miami last weekend but I noticed that information was removed from insidetheu.com. I now have confirmed why.

Advertisement

So, instead I'll go with another Atlanta area point guard, Deivon Smith. Smith is visiting this weekend Miami after seeing Mississippi State last weekend and Louisville earlier in the month. Georgia Tech is also in the mix. But, it's an unofficial to Georgia a few days ago that caught my attention enough for me to change my Futurecast to the Bulldogs. I don't think this one is over and certainly the others still have good chances, but there seems to be some momentum for Tom Crean on this one.

I have always had a feeling he would end up at Georgia but I could always be wrong.

A few things (on taking two PGs):

1. You can never have enough quality ball handlers,
2. One may transfer, look at our transfer history,
3. We have plenty of scholarships and don’t be shocked if more open up,
4. One may move to SG or play more SG, and
5. One may redshirt.

Please note: this doesn’t mean you take two PGs over another position, these are just generalizations based on our history. Obviously we need quality big men to come in.

Good point. Roster management dictates who you recruit. Hopefully, our plan is to use all 13 scholarships for next season and beyond.

In fairness, you can play with 2 point guards at the same time but only for a short amount of time. You have to play uptempo and both of your point guards need to be good shooters and defenders. Obviously, rebounding becomes a key so your 4 and 5 need to be extremely good at rebounding and blocking shots.

Wong is more of a combo but let's see how he handles the point guard duties this season. Curbelo is a pure point guard and too good to redshirt. Lykes loves to shot and his defense and decision making needs to improve. Having Wong on the roster may help with both of those issues. Devion Smith is more like Chris Lykes were he is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Neither meet a shot they didn't like.

This becomes difficult when both the point guards are below 6 feet and neither rebound nor play any defense and the bring bad decision making to the table.

The Good: Miami made his "Lucky 13".

The Bad: Logjam at the 5 spot if he commits and Brooks sits out this season with Rodney Miller and Deng Gak also back.

The Ugly: For the rest of the ACC if the 2020 Miami recruiting class include PG Andre Curbelo, SG Niels Lane, SF Earl Timberlake, PF Matt Cross and C Cliff Omoruyi.

A long way to go but I like the path we are on.

Rodney Miller is a non-factor. Let's not pretend he's taking anybody's playing time.

Advertisement
TBH...
It's been a lot of great combo guards that played at The U for example Tim James and Johnny Hemsley BIG EAST 1ST TEAM ALL CONFERENCE but my favorite 1 to 2 Punch has to be Shane Larkin and Durrand Scott . They were very smooth in half court set and something dangerous on the fast break. (That team was special 2012-13) .

My all time fav Cane still til this day
" Stepback Jack " Mclinton! #33 Can shoot from the **** stands. LEGEND like Mr. Barry

Favorite prize recruit coming in
I would have to say Darius Rice (Former McDonald's All American) a lot people forget that he signed with us when he had major offers and played pretty good for us as well on terrible team .- IMO started the McDonald's to UM pipeline.
Of course -L. Walker and B. Brown jr,

Most athletic
Dequan Jones that man can jump out the gym!

Best Big Man we had IMO
Mario Bland, Dwanye Collins, Dewan Hernandez - Big Boys ate in the paint.

Future
I like seeing Lykes, Wong , Beverly combo. We will cause match up problems and we should adopt the Miami Heat style of play we really do not have any healthy athletic bigs.

Best transfer we had
Trey Mckinney Jones
Kenny Kadji
Sheldon Mac
Kameron Mcgusty (Wait and see mode)

The ones that got away wished they stayed
Denis Clemente
Deandre Burnett
James Palmer

Hope to land in the 305 Magic City
*Scottie Barnes-Program Changer!
Andre Cuberlo-PointGosh!-General
Earl Timberlake-Combo reminds me of a young Jimmy Butler at Marquette
Neil Lane- Stud

Go Canes!

No lie i'm kind of excited about the season and our future.

Advertisement

Smith recaps recent visits and talks about his interest in the schools involved his recruitment.

Miami: “It was cool. They made it feel like home. I enjoyed it a lot. The coaches were great. They showed me how I would fit into the program with the other guards they have.”

RIVALS' REACTION
Smith is not giving any hints as to which way he’s leaning nor is he tipping his hand as to when a decision could come.
Given that he’s knocked out four out of his five official visits, it’s probably safe to assume he’s getting close to making the call for a school. We’re hearing Georgia, Miami and Mississippi State are the three schools to keep an eye on in this one as previous favorite Louisville is still hanging in there but seems to be fading.

I still think he will go to Georgia.

ervfh7frzdeqwaottsiw

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
JOHN
HUGLEY

6'8" | 240 LBS | C
BRUSH
CLEVELAND, OH
CLASS OF 2020

John Hugley is expected to visit Kansas State next weekend, but he could decide to hold off and end his recruitment. While he has been adamant about taking all of his official visits before deciding, very rarely do we see a specific prospect visit the same program in consecutive weekends like he did with Pitt without committing.

There was whispers that he was close to committing to Pitt in July and there was also whispers that he was close to doing the same for NC State last month. Therefore, it would not surprise if Hugley were to hold off once again and visit Kansas State and possibly a few of others before signing in November. If that is the case, Pitt might not be his college spot but for now, I am willing to push my chips entirely in on the Panthers landing the productive center that they dearly covet.

Miami was not mentioned so I assume they have agreed to mutually part ways. Reading between the lines, it seems to be the only big Miami is recruiting for the 2020 recruiting class is Cliff Omoruyi. I think Cliff is a better fit than Hugley but if Nysier is going to sit out this season and Cliff commits then there will get a logjam at the 5 spot in the 2020-21 season.

Advertisement

I guess St. John's has eliminated themselves from Andre Curbelo's list. That is normally how recruiting works. Athletes need to know where they are on a school's priority list and go to the school who makes you priority #1.

ervfh7frzdeqwaottsiw

NATIONAL
-
STATE
POSITION
JOHN
HUGLEY

6'8" | 240 LBS | C
BRUSH
CLEVELAND, OH
CLASS OF 2020

John Hugley is expected to visit Kansas State next weekend, but he could decide to hold off and end his recruitment. While he has been adamant about taking all of his official visits before deciding, very rarely do we see a specific prospect visit the same program in consecutive weekends like he did with Pitt without committing.

There was whispers that he was close to committing to Pitt in July and there was also whispers that he was close to doing the same for NC State last month. Therefore, it would not surprise if Hugley were to hold off once again and visit Kansas State and possibly a few of others before signing in November. If that is the case, Pitt might not be his college spot but for now, I am willing to push my chips entirely in on the Panthers landing the productive center that they dearly covet.

Miami was not mentioned so I assume they have agreed to mutually part ways. Reading between the lines, it seems to be the only big Miami is recruiting for the 2020 recruiting class is Cliff Omoruyi. I think Cliff is a better fit than Hugley but if Nysier is going to sit out this season and Cliff commits then there will get a logjam at the 5 spot in the 2020-21 season.

Makes sense. Omouyi is an elite talent and won't you cant say no to if he wants in. Hugley you could. Lets just hope we get a bunch of good wings like Lane and Timberlake to pair with Cross and whichever point guard gets in first

Advertisement
Makes sense. Omouyi is an elite talent and won't you cant say no to if he wants in. Hugley you could. Lets just hope we get a bunch of good wings like Lane and Timberlake to pair with Cross and whichever point guard gets in first

The only problem with that is Miami only has 4 scholarship available. Let's say our class is Matt Cross, Neils Lane, Earl Timberlake and Andre Curbelo. Miami would then be out of scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class. Recruiting Cliff only makes sense if Nysier Brooks gets a waiver and he is eligible for this season. Then Miami would have a 5th scholarship available for Cliff Omoruyi and the 2020 recruiting class goes to another level.

If Cliff commits and Nysier sits out this season then next season, Miami has Rodney Miller, Nysier Brooks, Deng Gak and Cliff Omoruyi playing the 5 spot. That would be a logjam as no one could redshirt except Cliff, who is arguably the best 5 on the roster. This is with the assumption that Miami misses on Neils Lane or Earl Timberlake. Matt Cross has already committed and I feel Andre Curbelo is a lock for Miami.

That is why I have said for months that Nysier Brooks needs to get a waiver to play this season or his commitment to Miami was a bad move. I am trying not to use the term "roster management" because it makes some people upset.

Advertisement
Back