2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
Bizarre. While he may not be a 5 star prospect, if Anthony Mack, Sam Waardenburg, and Rodney Miller were good enough for UM offers, Zaire Wade certainly is.

I think we are comparing apples to oranges. You make a valid point. Bigs always get special treatment compared to guards. Zaire is on their radar but there are probably other kids the coaching staff prefers to have over him. If those kids decide to go elsewhere then Zaire will get offered the scholarship offer from Miami. I am not saying this is right, I am saying that this is how it is done depending on your skillset.

Honestly, unless his skillset has improved or drastically improves over the summer, Zaire would be better suited going to FIU or FAU where he could play sooner and get more minutes to develop. Similiar to the path his father took in going to Marquette. JMO.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/uaa-saturday-cone-makes-news-murrell-makes-shots

The name of Jalen Cone is not a new one in the recruiting world but it may begin to be talked about more in the coming weeks for more reasons than one. The talent and explosiveness are not lacking with the 5-foot-9 guard, which is why he is already a member of the Rivals150, but it more so regarding the fact that he could potentially reclassify a year up and into the 2019 class this summer, which would then bring a bevy of newer suitors into his college recruitment.

“Things are starting to pick up a little bit more but with the news that some colleges are offering me to come early because of some guys entering the draft and others not coming back,” Cone said about a potential move into the 2019 class. “They need somebody to fill the point guard position so things are really starting to pick up.”

Baylor, Louisville, Miami, NC State, Stanford, Texas A&M and Yale have kept in close contact with Cone in recent weeks, though Tennessee, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest have brought up the idea of taking the talented guard this fall.

“Really, it will be all about what is best for me and figuring out if I need another year of high school to mature my game more but if it is good for me to go to college and play now or even redshirt, then that would be the option I would choose,” Cone said. “If I do it, I would have to decide very soon so I would have to look at what the best fit is for me and to see how long the coaches are going to be there. I don’t want to go early to college and then they leave after I am there for just one year.”

Cone is an elite sparkplug at the point guard position that can get a bucket in the blink of an eye. He posted 23 points, five rebounds and four assists on Saturday afternoon and is tracking towards a coveted recruitment in the coming weeks thanks to the news getting out that he could make the move a year up and into the 2019 class.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/the-warmup-bossi-s-most-likely-to-1

I spent some time speaking with four-star center Jonathan Aku of Texas Impact and he's one of the more thoughtful kids that I've spoken with in the junior class. So when he tells me that academics matter in his decision I think he's serious about it. Not saying they don't matter to most kids, but the school part of school is often a secondary part of a decision.

Aku is clearly thinking long term and he's clearly thinking relationships. TCU, Georgetown, Texas A&M, Tulsa, Miami and LSU are all among his current offers. He's big and strong, plays tough in the lane and should be able to develop into a quality high major big man.

<iframe width="300" height="150" frameborder="1" src="https://n.rivals.com/content/prospect_cards/232517"></iframe>

https://247sports.com/college/miami...resented-by-MADE-Hoops-131243361/#131243361_3

Name: Jonathan Aku

Position: Center

Class: 2020

Recruitment: LSU, Houston, Texas A&M, Georgetown, Tulsa, SMU, Miami

A prospect who can really run the court and has tremendous length, Aku is just beginning to figure out the game of basketball, and how he can make the biggest impact. Right now his defense is a little bit ahead of his offense, but Aku has a tremendous ceiling to his game. He has tremendously long arms, he already blocks shots, and he has a good feel for rebounding. On the offensive end he likes to play mostly around the rim, and has more than held his own against top bigs in the area. Look for Aku to continue to see his stock go up, and for coaches to try and get him on campus for visits as he is open in his recruiting process.

Advertisement
https://247sports.com/college/miami...resented-by-MADE-Hoops-131243361/#131243361_3

Name: Jonathan Aku

Position: Center

Class: 2020

Recruitment: LSU, Houston, Texas A&M, Georgetown, Tulsa, SMU, Miami

A prospect who can really run the court and has tremendous length, Aku is just beginning to figure out the game of basketball, and how he can make the biggest impact. Right now his defense is a little bit ahead of his offense, but Aku has a tremendous ceiling to his game. He has tremendously long arms, he already blocks shots, and he has a good feel for rebounding. On the offensive end he likes to play mostly around the rim, and has more than held his own against top bigs in the area. Look for Aku to continue to see his stock go up, and for coaches to try and get him on campus for visits as he is open in his recruiting process.
for those interested... 6'10, Nigeria

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/four-star-big-man-jonathan-aku-in-no-hurry

SPRINGDALE, Ark. --A little over two years ago, class of 2020 four-star Jonathan Aku moved from Nigeria to the United States in order to secure a better future.

Playing with the Texas Impact at The Warmup by MADE Hoops over the weekend, he showed that the hard work is paying off. Not only is the 6-foot-10 center from the iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy is an imposing force on the interior, he's a leader and has a good grasp of the big picture.

“I’m trying to be a leader for the younger guys and help them get better," said Aku. "I think we have three sophomores this year so I want to set an example for them so when they come back, they can be better.”

“I’m working on my left and right hooks. I’m also working on my motor and being consistent with my defense.”

Landing a college scholarship is the priority and Aku is cleaning up in that department. Texas A&M, Georgetown, Oklahoma State, Houston, Miami, Tulsa, LSU, TCU and more have offered scholarships and more are sure to come.

“I’ve been talking to a lot of coaches and I’m wide open," said Aku. "I’ve been talking to all of the coaches on my list, LSU, Houston, A&M, Georgetown, Tulsa and a lot of other coaches have been hitting me.”

Aku said that he's been on the campuses of Houston and LSU and he had favorable impressions of each.

Houston: “Houston is a good team and I like the coach. (Kelvin Sampson) is a solid coach and I would love to play for him as well as many other coaches.”

LSU: “LSU was pretty good. I got to meet the players and I liked the atmosphere. I also talked to the coaches and we went to computer science facility and I liked it.”

Aku isn't in a real hurry to make a decision but said that he does hope to have things narrowed down by the end of the summer. Not surprisingly, academics will matter most.

“For me, I want to go somewhere that I can play and be accepted. Most important is education. Education matters to me a lot because after basketball I want to do something and I love computers.”

Advertisement

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-barnes-discusses-his-final-eight-what-s-next

Miami: “(Jim) Larranaga just talks about stuff all the time with basketball but also about how life is going. He talks to me just like what is really going on in college and in the NBA. Staying close to home, I love the hot weather and I really don’t like the cold. To have my mom watch me play every game, I feel like that would be very special.”

Scottie Barnes and Dudley Blackwell are 2020 kids from Florida. Moussa Diabete is a 2021 kid from France who goes to DME Academy in FL.

They play 4 games in Atlanta this weekend and since it is an open recruiting weekend for coaches to attend, I am sure Coach L will be front row to watch this team play.

Advertisement
Advertisement
https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/04...ecruiting-standouts-2019-nike-eybl-atlanta/6/

Scottie Barnes – Nightrydas Elite (FL)
National Ranking: No. 4

Nightrydas Elite put together a rather pedestrian opening weekend by splitting their four matchups but Scottie Barnes showed his all-around game. Even though he did not post the highest scoring totals from the weekend, Barnes did a little of everything to help his team win. Over the course of the four contests, he averaged 12.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 5.5 assists, and 1.2 steals per game on 55.6% shooting from the floor.

One of the most versatile players in the class, Barnes showed flashes of his ceiling on both ends of the floor. He still has plenty of room to improve as a shooter, both at the free throw line and from distance, but it reasonable to assume that he will continue to work on that facet of his game. He is already down to his final eight schools and he will be playing at one of the top programs in the country by 2020-21.

Elijah Hutchins-Everett (2) and Jabri Abdur-Rahim (1) playing for PlayazClubNJ, both have scholarship offers from Miami.

Advertisement
Back