2020 DL Simeon Barrow Jr | 28 TFLs 15 Sacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big body run stuffer comments are too simple and it’s been happening here for 2-3 years. Guidry has never been reliant on some massive run stuffer in the middle to stop the run.

What the room needs is some ******* talent though that’s for sure. If you can get both that’s 🤌🏼
yup. fact that we didn't get gashed on inside runs till the rutgers game when it was just bain and the nobodies on DL has me hopeful that guidry will work more magic. also we should actuallly be able to regularly score points on offense this year.

@TRick72 has brilliant post yesterday that if we don't solve our DT issues in the portal it'll probably become an issue if we're fortunate enough to get in the playoff. we've also got some question marks in the middle of the secondary too. it's not ideal to rely on zayquan at safety and one or two of the freshman DTs to be the straw that stirs our playoff drink but it's not a catastrophe

Advertisement
@TRick72 has brilliant post yesterday that if we don't solve our DT issues in the portal it'll probably become an issue if we're fortunate enough to get in the playoff. we've also got some question marks in the middle of the secondary too. it's not ideal to rely on zayquan at safety and one or two of the freshman DTs to be the straw that stirs our playoff drink but it's not a catastrophe
Calm Down Champions League GIF by Liverpool FC

The bolder part could be true. The freshmen could also end up being good DTs.

But this is not a year to take a chance on potential or question marks. We need multiple bodies on the inside that can be relied on. Right now our only guy is Clark, and maybe Cook…and if we’re still pursuing 2 DTs that aggressively…what does that say about the room given we already added 2 in the winter?

The coaches are basically telling you.

It may have to be…There's nothing in the portal

And I agree we should be aggressively pursuing the upgrade. My only point was it may not automatically mean we are terrible against the run.

Advertisement
To the poster that said we need to give Moten and Horton more time...Horton? Yes..Moten? No..times up for him..its his 3rd year..he doesnt have anymore time. If he doesnt perform this year or at least make the 2-deep, he might as well hit the portal. We are going to recruit over him anyway. ****, we already have. (Justin Scott)

Advertisement
It may have to be…There's nothing in the portal

And I agree we should be aggressively pursuing the upgrade. My only point was it may not automatically mean we are terrible against the run.
I think Guidry is intelligent enough with his schemes and pressure packages, I’m just concerned about a game like Rutgers when a team isn’t trying to be fancy on offense, our Louisville where they identify a weakness and attack it.

Leonard Taylor was pretty much a bust here considering what he was supposed to turn into, and without him on the inside, we gave up 208 yards on the ground against Rutgers. That’s nearly 100 yards more than our season average (which was actually pretty solid). We also lost JHH and Deen from that unit, so now we’re replacing our top 3 DTs from a unit that wasn’t necessarily considered a strength.

Our last three games, we gave up 171 ypg on the ground (60 more yards than we averaged). Louisville ran for 162. Even BC was able to run for 5.5 per rushing attempt and over 140 yards.

FSU will run the ball a ton this year with DJ. Clemson will run a ton. Cal will run a ton with Ott. UF will certainly test our interior early and often since Mertz is a spazz and their OL will struggle in pass pro against our edge rushers.

I’m not panicking, merely pointing out how important it is to fix this DT issue at the 11th hour…somehow, someway. And even more so, how much pressure there might be on the freshmen + Horton (who played in just two games to my knowledge in 2023) to produce extensively.

Advertisement
If i steal from a drug dealer would he call the cops on both of us? Dad should just keep the money and LSU gets the double L
Sounds totally stupid but totally depends where the money is coming from. They're big in NIL but they're still playing the under the table bag game as well as they have done with Barrow's father.

Heard rumors of them being in bed with the Italian Mob and flexing the mob to guys that threatened to transfer or flip their commitment back in the bag days. First time I heard it was Spencer Ware talking about flipping to Ohio State. Apparently there were and have many examples before and after that.

Could also be a children's hospital. You never know with them. They've been the dirtiest group of boosters for 2 decades now.

Advertisement
I think Guidry is intelligent enough with his schemes and pressure packages, I’m just concerned about a game like Rutgers when a team isn’t trying to be fancy on offense, our Louisville where they identify a weakness and attack it.

Leonard Taylor was pretty much a bust here considering what he was supposed to turn into, and without him on the inside, we gave up 208 yards on the ground against Rutgers. That’s nearly 100 yards more than our season average (which was actually pretty solid). We also lost JHH and Deen from that unit, so now we’re replacing our top 3 DTs from a unit that wasn’t necessarily considered a strength.

Our last three games, we gave up 171 ypg on the ground (60 more yards than we averaged). Louisville ran for 162. Even BC was able to run for 5.5 per rushing attempt and over 140 yards.

FSU will run the ball a ton this year with DJ. Clemson will run a ton. Cal will run a ton with Ott. UF will certainly test our interior early and often since Mertz is a spazz and their OL will struggle in pass pro against our edge rushers.

I’m not panicking, merely pointing out how important it is to fix this DT issue at the 11th hour…somehow, someway. And even more so, how much pressure there might be on the freshmen + Horton (who played in just two games to my knowledge in 2023) to produce extensively.

Points all well taken, definite area of concern

I would like to point out that using meaningless bowl results…(We were 1 of at least 10-12 bowls this year where one team cared and the other didn't, I hate it but it's the way it is in today's cfb) as a projection going forward may be pointless.

But I share all your concerns

good points.

LT didn't register a tackle against Loserville and BC (i don't remember if he played). at that point we were trotting out a nicked up Deen/JHH/LIchtenstein/Gore/Moten at DT. not great.

now with just the DTs we have on the rooster right now i don't think it's unreasonable to think that C+C Music Factory can do what LT and JHH/Deen did last year at DT or better, which wasn't awful when they were all healthy. Not cause the new guys r world beaters but cause the other 3 r two undrafted guys and a guy who just went SMU when all the big boy progrums were DT shopping. low bars and all.

get this guy barrow and our top3 is better than it was last year. moten either gets better or he doesn't. and as long as campbell doesnt portal my assumption is they view him as a rotation piece (or he's the unwelcome guest who wont leave). he doesn't have to be jerome brown, just be better than Gore/Lichtenstein were for 10-20 snaps a game.

we'll need at least 1 of the freshman to play significant minutes by the end of the year i think, but i think we'll be alright at DT, and definitely will be if we get barrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back