2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Should be, but when was the last time we started a season with over 11 scholarship players?
Contrary to popular belief we did start last season with 13 scholarship players on the roster if you include the 2 players (Miller & Waardenberg) who were injured in the preseason. What's the quote? "Experience is the best teacher." After the season our team just went through, I doubt Larranaga and staff will want to go thru another season where they're fielding 6-7 scholarship players. I expect them to try and fill the usual 13 scholarship max head count plus any extra scholarships the NCAA grants due to some of the recent pandemic rule changes.

Contrary to popular belief we did start last season with 13 scholarship players on the roster if you include the 2 players (Miller & Waardenberg) who were injured in the preseason. What's the quote? "Experience is the best teacher." After the season our team just went through, I doubt Larranaga and staff will want to go thru another season where they're fielding 6-7 scholarship players. I expect them to try and fill the usual 13 scholarship max head count plus any extra scholarships the NCAA grants due to some of the recent pandemic rule changes.

Pretty sure we only had 12 last year, unless you're counting Willie

Advertisement
Wow, 1429.

What percentage will not link up with a new "opportunity" before the next season starts? Gotta be a very large number, no?

What happens to those kids? Go back to the school they entered the portal from (assuming the program wants them back and has a roster spot/scholly)? Career over?

Juco for some

Advertisement
Wow, 1429.

What percentage will not link up with a new "opportunity" before the next season starts? Gotta be a very large number, no?

What happens to those kids? Go back to the school they entered the portal from (assuming the program wants them back and has a roster spot/scholly)? Career over?

Great question. It is definitely different for every kid.

Great question. It is definitely different for every kid.
Makes me wonder why any player on scholly who was currently on a roster would ever take a wild flyer on finding a "match." I fully understand the Portal for those kids who could logically expect interest (like Chris and Earl, in our case); I'll never understand why the rest would take this long-shot chance.

Wow, 1429.

Great point. There's been a lot of talk in recent weeks about what happens to the kids in the transfer portal who won't be able to find a new landing spot. Things are about to get real interesting in a few months. Between the portal and the 2021 and 2022 class, it's going to be an over saturation of prospects with nowhere to go. I keep telling kids and parents, particularly in the 2021 class still looking that they need to sign ASAP. Transfers need to think long and hard before they make that move. Their basketball lives and college education are literally on the line.

Personally, I think a lot of these kids who don't find a new school will end up in a Last Chance U situation like the one on Netflix at ELAC.

Great point. There's been a lot of talk in recent weeks about what happens to the kids in the transfer portal who won't be able to find a new landing spot. Things are about to get real interesting in a few months. Between the portal and the 2021 and 2022 class, it's going to be an over saturation of prospects with nowhere to go. I keep telling kids and parents, particularly in the 2021 class still looking that they need to sign ASAP. Transfers need to think long and hard before they make that move. Their basketball lives and college education are literally on the line.

Personally, I think a lot of these kids who don't find a new school will end up in a Last Chance U situation like the one on Netflix at ELAC.
Great point about the impact on current HS recruit (this year,and next). As for the Last Chance U option, we might need about 50 of those. Plus, going to a JuCo would be a step back for many/most of these Portal guys.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wow, 1429.

I think a lot of coaches who are on the Hot seat are also clearing their rosters: and trying to bring in an immediate quick fix, instead of going through development

I think a lot of coaches who are on the Hot seat are also clearing their rosters: and trying to bring in an immediate quick fix, instead of going through development

That is correct and they really don't have a choice. At this point, it's win or find a new home.

Advertisement
Back