2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Advertisement
5 Guard lineup? I mean come the **** on coach L. We literally had this same exact front court rotation of Miller/Gak/Waardenberg two years ago and they were an awful unit, maybe one of the worst I've seen for a college team of this caliber. Gak is still a twig after these two years, Waardenberg is doing who knows what and I'm sure that the double knee injuries help with Rodneys already excellent mobility. Pathetic moves in the portal. Get a guy who can actually score on a mismatch in the post. Those are the most guaranteed points in college basketball and we have literally no one on our roster who can get a bucket in the paint outside of Wong who might be gone. This man Coach L cannot construct a roster to save his life. In college basketball all you really need are a combination of four main elements:

A playmaker (Maybe Wong but not really. Beverly has shown flashes but still not convinced)

A three point knockdown shooter (Best one transferred to Louisville. No one else has a consistent open 3, not even the new transfers)

A lockdown defender who can slow down the other teams best player (Wong is great defender but he has to focus on offense)

A post player who can get a bucket down low (refer to blurb above)

We lack all of these and we just have guys who can kinda do certain things but aren't really great at anything. Without Wong we will be in contention for a bottom ACC team. Step it up L or get the **** out.

Advertisement
5 Guard lineup? I mean come the **** on coach L. We literally had this same exact front court rotation of Miller/Gak/Waardenberg two years ago and they were an awful unit, maybe one of the worst I've seen for a college team of this caliber. Gak is still a twig after these two years, Waardenberg is doing who knows what and I'm sure that the double knee injuries help with Rodneys already excellent mobility. Pathetic moves in the portal. Get a guy who can actually score on a mismatch in the post. Those are the most guaranteed points in college basketball and we have literally no one on our roster who can get a bucket in the paint outside of Wong who might be gone. This man Coach L cannot construct a roster to save his life. In college basketball all you really need are a combination of four main elements:

A playmaker (Maybe Wong but not really. Beverly has shown flashes but still not convinced)

A three point knockdown shooter (Best one transferred to Louisville. No one else has a consistent open 3, not even the new transfers)

A lockdown defender who can slow down the other teams best player (Wong is great defender but he has to focus on offense)

We lack all of these and we just have guys who can kinda do certain things but aren't really great at anything. Without Wong we will be in contention for a bottom ACC team. Step it up L or get the **** out.
I shudder to think what this team would look like next season if Wong doesn't come back.

We have a bunch of score first guards who will demand a lot of shots (but can't shoot well from outside), and a bunch of stiff, injury prone, not very strong bigs. Not a recipe for success to say the least.

I think you might be underselling Moore's playmaking abilities.

The team who just won the title didn't have a player on the roster who could make a post move. Those bigs rebounded, played defense and rebounded some more. They were more likely to pass it out after an offensive rebound than try to score. We lack bigs for sure but a post player isn't that necessary. Certainly not one who you're throwing the ball to 15 times a game to. Unbeatable Gonzaga first was pushed by UCLA and then blown out by Baylor because both had perimeter players who moved and played like NBA perimeter players. Why did Gonzaga do what they did besides having one of the best coaches in the game? They had two NBA lottery wing players on their roster and another who might get drafted in the first round this year too. Timme is a good player with a unique skillset for today's college game but he isn't what you try to build a team around. Partly because finding a post guy as skilled as he is a longshot.

This team would be better served adding two physically mature Anthony Walker type athletes. Strong, springy guys who can move their feet, rebound and protect the rim. 6'8" 235-240 types. Let those guys eat on lobs, putbacks and scraps. There is a glaring lack of athleticism(Sam, Rodney) and strength(all of the above) in the frontcourt.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Moore in his last season averaged 4.2 assists to 3.3 turnovers. Having no real shooters to kick out to as well as no lob threats will only hurt those numbers.
Do we know if any of the incoming freshmen can shoot? I don't think any of the 3 (including Joseph but who knows at this point what's going on there) are known as knockdown shooters, but from the highlights of seen from Poplar, he looks like a good outside shooter.

The team who just won the title didn't have a player on the roster who could make a post move. Those bigs rebounded, played defense and rebounded some more. They were more likely to pass it out after an offensive rebound than try to score. We lack bigs for sure but a post player isn't that necessary. Certainly not one who you're throwing the ball to 15 times a game to. Unbeatable Gonzaga first was pushed by UCLA and then blown out by Baylor because both had perimeter players who moved and played like NBA perimeter players. Why did Gonzaga do what they did besides having one of the best coaches in the game? They had two NBA lottery wing players on their roster and another who might get drafted in the first round this year too. Timme is a good player with a unique skillset for today's college game but he isn't what you try to build a team around. Partly because finding a post guy as skilled as he is a longshot.

This team would be better served adding two physically mature Anthony Walker type athletes. Strong, springy guys who can move their feet, rebound and protect the rim. 6'8" 235-240 types. Let those guys eat on lobs, putbacks and scraps. There is a glaring lack of athleticism(Sam, Rodney) and strength(all of the above) in the frontcourt.
I mean Baylor all around was an incredibly talented team but looking the other teams that made it far in the tourney/had successful seasons there are a lot of bigmen who can play in the post. Tillie on Gonzaga being an obvious pick but also players like Garza on Iowa who led them to a great season. Even GT, who beat us to go on and win the ACC chip had a great post player/big in Moses Wright. Not saying its needed to be successful but having a good post player in college basketball is almost a cheat code considering the other teams usually lack the talent to guard them successfully.

More likely than not we do end up with another Anthony Walker type player because those are a dime a dozen nowadays. Athletic dudes who aren't the greatest at shooting but can defend and rebound well. The issue is this roster would really benefit from having either a post big or an athletic forward like you said, but we fail to recruit any or bring any in through the transfer portal. Both the guys we brought in are decent players but a roster can't really succeed with a bunch of "decent" guys. It needs at least two strong players who play at an all ACC level. Or elite coaching. It will be interesting to see what happens moving forward and ow our freshmen play, but the lack of bigs who are effective is going to be a glaring weakness if we go into the season with this current roster.

Advertisement
Do we know if any of the incoming freshmen can shoot? I don't think any of the 3 (including Joseph but who knows at this point what's going on there) are known as knockdown shooters, but from the highlights of seen from Poplar, he looks like a good outside shooter.
Poplar seems good enough as a shooter and I think Jakai Robinson could be good too but I'm not going to make any judgements on them as shooters yet. Last class we brought in Cross who was as good as billed, and then Earl who had one of the most disgusting shot forms I've ever seen on a player(yet alone a wing) with NBA aspirations.

Advertisement
Back