2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
I thought there was an informal, gentleman's agreement in the ACC about signing each others' transfers. Guess not.

I thought there was an informal, gentleman's agreement in the ACC about signing each others' transfers. Guess not.

No, the rule used to be that if you transferred within the ACC, your redshirt year still counted toward your eligibility. Now that players don't have to redshirt when they transfer, there's really nothing preventing it.

Advertisement
I'm really worried a school like Syracuse or something is going to make a run at Wong.

That would create a host of NCAA problems, but... we kinda just did the exact same thing with Tyrique Stevenson so I guess its only illegal if you get caught.

As far as I know though, you can still block transfers. The optics of doing it are almost always bad, but I think its still an option at least.

Advertisement
Let’s hope our staff reads this thread.

I remember when people tried to sell me on the thought that you can build your program through transfers.
I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.
Transfers are only a band aid to a bigger problem.
Transfers should be your backup plan at all times.

Advertisement
I remember when people tried to sell me on the thought that you can build your program through transfers.
I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now.
Transfers are only a band aid to a bigger problem.
Transfers should be your backup plan at all times.
Agree in theory but ... where might we have been without McClinton, Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Hurdle, Grant, Murphy, Z. Johnson, McGusty?

I suspect all our HCs this century would agree with you. There's a reason for going with xsfers -- you can't successfully recruit enough good HS recruits. Why that is remains a mystery.

Agree in theory but ... where might we have been without McClinton, Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Hurdle, Grant, Murphy, Z. Johnson, McGusty?

I suspect all our HCs this century would agree with you. There's a reason for going with xsfers -- you can't successfully recruit enough good HS recruits. Why that is remains a mystery.
Agreed. The problem is, we haven't struck gold in the transfer market in quite some time. Kam? Nice player but he's a very inefficient scorer who doesn't do much else. Brooks? Should be a depth guy. Stone? Same thing. The last few transfers have not been game changers like many of the names mentioned above.

Agreed. The problem is, we haven't struck gold in the transfer market in quite some time. Kam? Nice player but he's a very inefficient scorer who doesn't do much else. Brooks? Should be a depth guy. Stone? Same thing. The last few transfers have not been game changers like many of the names mentioned above.
Right on point. It has been awhile since we had an impact guy. I was hoping the Mt St Mary's kid (who left or was booted before ever playing) might be another McClinton, or that Kam might come close to being another McClellan. I couldn't have been more wrong.

You definitely can "miss big" with transfers but, since they have a body of work after high school, they generally are much more of a known quantity. If you look at the top teams, pretty much every one has a nice mix of quality HS recruits and at least one (or two) very key transfers in their lineup.

Advertisement

My point was that getting transfers cannot be your primary way of building your roster.
I have always thought that taking transfers is only a temporary fix for a past failure.
Somewhat harsh but accurate.

My point was that getting transfers cannot be your primary way of building your roster.
I have always thought that taking transfers is only a temporary fix for a past failure.
Somewhat harsh but accurate.
No argument from me.

I suspect, though, that the Portal and other NCAA rulings will make transfers more of a fact of life than they ever have been. For all schools. Given our heavy reliance on transfers, that can't be good news for us. Or, maybe it is if it forces us to focus harder on high school players.

No argument from me.

I suspect, though, that the Portal and other NCAA rulings will make transfers more of a fact of life than they ever have been. For all schools. Given our heavy reliance on transfers, that can't be good news for us. Or, maybe it is if it forces us to focus harder on high school players.

I agree but a leopard doesn't change its spots. I am starting to think skill development is not a strength of this staff and that is why transfers is so convenient for them.
Probably more of a perception than a reality.

I agree but a leopard doesn't change its spots. I am starting to think skill development is not a strength of this staff and that is why transfers is so convenient for them.
Probably more of a perception than a reality.
I've been surprised because when you make the Final Four as a "mid-major" (as George Mason did under L), you gotta think, "Wow, this coach sure can develop lower-rated players."

Advertisement
Back