2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

I agree but a leopard doesn't change its spots. I am starting to think skill development is not a strength of this staff and that is why transfers is so convenient for them.
Probably more of a perception than a reality.
I have wondered this too. Many of their most highly rated HS recruits have not or did not live up to expectations.

Advertisement
I'd be interested to know, in a xsfer situation, who makes the first contact? The coach at the "gaining" school contacting a player who has entered the portal? Or, the player directly contacting the coach of the school where he might want to play?

I have wondered this too. Many of their most highly rated HS recruits have not or did not live up to expectations.
These are the 13 xsfers Coach L recruited (is that the right word?) to UM (who had some to major impact): Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Uceda, Thomas, Murphy, Z. Johnson, McGusty, Brooks, Mack and Olaniyi.

Larranaga recruited these 17 players right out of HS/Prep: Jekiri, Manu, Davon, Newton, Amp, Izundu, Brown, Walker, Huell, Timberlake, Lykes, Beverly, DJ, Wong, Palmer, Miller, and Waardenburg. (I left Cross, Burnett, and Sherman off; all left in their first year, or right after it.)

I'm sure I've left someone (or two, or three) off. But ... roughly 57-43% in terms of HS over xsfer recruits.

I'd be interested to know, in a xsfer situation, who makes the first contact? The coach at the "gaining" school contacting a player who has entered the portal? Or, the player directly contacting the coach of the school where he might want to play?

Usually the coach, but I do remember Jim specifically saying that Angel called him and begged him to play here because he wanted to be closer to his family in Puerto Rico.

From what I remember, Sheldon watched us practice before a mid-season tournament while he was at Texas and liked what he saw. Don't know who made first contact though.

These are the 13 xsfers Coach L recruited (is that the right word?) to UM (who had some to major impact): Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClellan, Angel Rodriguez, Uceda, Thomas, Murphy, Z. Johnson, McGusty, Brooks, Mack and Olaniyi.

Larranaga recruited these 17 players right out of HS/Prep: Jekiri, Manu, Davon, Newton, Amp, Izundu, Brown, Walker, Huell, Timberlake, Lykes, Beverly, DJ, Wong, Palmer, Miller, and Waardenburg. (I left Cross, Burnett, and Sherman off; all left in their first year, or right after it.)

I'm sure I've left someone (or two, or three) off. But ... roughly 57-43% in terms of HS over xsfer recruits.

I think Kadji was actually recruited by Haith

Advertisement
Usually the coach, but I do remember Jim specifically saying that Angel called him and begged him to play here because he wanted to be closer to his family in Puerto Rico.

From what I remember, Sheldon watched us practice before a mid-season tournament while he was at Texas and liked what he saw. Don't know who made first contact though.
Interesting info.

So, when we talk about "recruiting" transfers, I think that is an accurate description in some cases (i.e., the HC has to "sell" the prospective xsfer on his program), but in other cases, the player is already driving the train on where he wants to sign.

I've been surprised because when you make the Final Four as a "mid-major" (as George Mason did under L), you gotta think, "Wow, this coach sure can develop lower-rated players."

Perception is not reality. Especially in a what have you done for me lately business.

Maybe this is overcomplicating matters, but I fear that with Coach L nearing his retirement due to age and the Canes poor results, any recruiting edge he has due to reputation or knowing the area, is limited. Hard to say come play for me in 2023 except i might be gone (same for asst coaches.)

Advertisement
Maybe this is overcomplicating matters, but I fear that with Coach L nearing his retirement due to age and the Canes poor results, any recruiting edge he has due to reputation or knowing the area, is limited. Hard to say come play for me in 2023 except i might be gone (same for asst coaches.)

That issue only gets worse if he stays because soon he will want an extension. What type of extension do you give a coach who has a losing record for three consecutive seasons?
Ask yourself, what level of winning would he have to accomplish to get an extension next season?
It is a complicated situation that delaying only makes worse.

You are correct. Angel got homesick and wanted to play close to home. Same deal with Shane Larkin.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back