2020-21 Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Need to close in on Oscar hard and fast. Big men is a need more than anything. Guard play should be fine, and as far as the conversation goes for who comes back, no one is really draft ready. Lykes should pick up a two way, the other seniors can go overseas or whatever, Olaniyi probably stays. Wong might leave, but we have 3 guards coming in. Hopefully Beverley realizes his potential next year and the team should be very solid. Ideal scenario:

PG: Beverley, Joseph
SG: Wong/Olaniyi, Poplar
SF: Timberlake, Robinson
PF: Cross/Walker
C: Tshiebwe, Other transfer, 2021 commit, Maybe Sam or Rodney for depth

Advertisement
Need to close in on Oscar hard and fast. Big men is a need more than anything. Guard play should be fine, and as far as the conversation goes for who comes back, no one is really draft ready. Lykes should pick up a two way, the other seniors can go overseas or whatever, Olaniyi probably stays. Wong might leave, but we have 3 guards coming in. Hopefully Beverley realizes his potential next year and the team should be very solid. Ideal scenario:

PG: Beverley, Joseph
SG: Wong/Olaniyi, Poplar
SF: Timberlake, Robinson
PF: Cross/Walker
C: Tshiebwe, Other transfer, 2021 commit, Maybe Sam or Rodney for depth
1. As for current numbers, we have 10 scholarships currently for next year:

Robinson, Poplar, Joseph, Bev, Wong, Cross, Gak, Timberlake, Sam W and Walker

2. Then you have players, who you would take back because of the special exemption, if they wanted an extra year:

Lykes, Olaniyi and Brooks

Of those three players, I doubt Brooks comes back as he is 24. I have to imagine that Olaniyi, since he was not expected to play this year will be given the option to come back, especially with COVID. I would be fine with that, especially for quality depth. Lykes is the wild card. You take him back but he may not want to come back. Maybe he wants another year, maybe he wants to go pro (e.g. Europe).

My guess is 1-2 of these 3 come back. That brings us to 11-12 scholarships.

3. Typically someone will transfer or get thrown out of school, that is a -1. That brings us to 10-11

4. We need quality big men and Oscar T would be that guy. I would also try to find another big man, either transfer or HS Senior, for next season. If this person is a project, that is fine. If this person needs to redshirt, that is fine too.

Bottom line: Fill the class. Bring in quality big men.

Big man like Oscar is priority #1. But ... who do we have who is a lights out, 3 point shooter? Can't win without at least one (two?) of those in today's game.

Advertisement
He is a no brainer. Him and Oscar and that would be excellent.

I agree. Miami needs to overhaul and upgrade the roster. This kids is 17 years old and since this year does not count toward your eligibility, technically, he will have 4 years to play.
I will admit, he is somewhat a project so another big in addition to them both is how I would like to see Miami proceed.

Advertisement

Obviously not official yet, but Jim seems to have gotten left at the alter once again.

Kids will see UK and flock there just to get left at the altar themselves. How many bigmen have failed to succeed at Kentucky you ask? A lot in just these last few years. Their system does not cater towards bigmen, Bam is the only notable big to come out of these in the last 3-4 years. Ware would be playing big minutes for us right now, but is more of an aftethought at UK this year. Oscar should make the smart choice and come here.

Etienne, Aidoo, Wheeler, Atkinson, and now Tshiebwe. Jim recruiting bigs:

giphy.gif

In college sports, if the coach can't recruit, you need a new coach.

Advertisement

Cal is selling bull**** as usual. For every Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Herro there are tons of failures. I know this deeply as I'm a UK fan and have been before I started following the hurricanes. Oscar was struggling to stay on the court on WVU and is gonna magically turn into AD or Randle at UK? Even the transfers before him in Reid Travis and Nate Sestina were only there to create a winning environment in which the high recruits could shine and get drafted high. Neither of those guys went to the league. Just absurd how Kentucky can step in and take anyone they choose. Sarr this year too, it's like Cal somehow sells 12+ guys that they will all get enough touches to prove themselves ready for the league in one season. Next level recruiting. Miami literally will have zero centers on the roster next year and Jim can't get a single one to come. That's some next level trash recruiting. Just frustrating seeing the issues with the roster preseason and watching as those issues unfold throughout the season when the team fails to pull together quality wins.

This is comical at this point. We don’t have a single quality big on the roster, there’s TONS of playing time available. We’re in the ACC, and we have a plethora of talented guards....and we still can’t get a big man to commit here.

Cal is selling bull**** as usual. For every Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Herro there are tons of failures. I know this deeply as I'm a UK fan and have been before I started following the hurricanes. Oscar was struggling to stay on the court on WVU and is gonna magically turn into AD or Randle at UK? Even the transfers before him in Reid Travis and Nate Sestina were only there to create a winning environment in which the high recruits could shine and get drafted high. Neither of those guys went to the league. Just absurd how Kentucky can step in and take anyone they choose. Sarr this year too, it's like Cal somehow sells 12+ guys that they will all get enough touches to prove themselves ready for the league in one season. Next level recruiting. Miami literally will have zero centers on the roster next year and Jim can't get a single one to come. That's some next level trash recruiting. Just frustrating seeing the issues with the roster preseason and watching as those issues unfold throughout the season when the team fails to pull together quality wins.

I completely agree. Cal has one boom for every 10 bust and people still think he gets players to the NBA. It is so laughable when you actually research the numbers.
I expect Lance Ware to transfer but I am not saying Miami should pursue him. Not just yet atleast.
As with Oscar, today you don't know who will want to transfer, you just need to keep a scholarship available.

Advertisement
Etienne, Aidoo, Wheeler, Atkinson, and now Tshiebwe. Jim recruiting bigs:

giphy.gif

In college sports, if the coach can't recruit, you need a new coach.

Funny, no one remembers when Aaron Judge or Giancarlo Stanton strikeouts 200 per year as fans only discuss their 50 home runs every year.
According to analytics, strikeouts don't matter.

Advertisement
Back