2019 recruiting

Advertisement
It sounds like he is weighing his options. Miami offers him a chance to start along with significant playing time as a freshman and he would definitely start at Miami the rest of his career.

At Georgia, he is going to play behind Anthony Edwards for 1 year. The same goes for Indiana until Romeo Langford turns pro.

I agree though, I would feel better if he said it went great.
I think Langford has already announced he's gone.

Pretty much immediate playing time outside of PG to sell to any recruit interested in coming here.

Far too quiet lately on the recruiting front

What the **** is going on? It's mid April and we have FIVE open scholarships still available. At some point, the FBI thing shouldn't be a detriment to our recruiting anymore.

Advertisement
What the **** is going on? It's mid April and we have FIVE open scholarships still available. At some point, the FBI thing shouldn't be a detriment to our recruiting anymore.

5 open scholarships in April is not bad, 5 open scholarships in August is bad. Borderline terrible.

Advertisement
The longer we wait, the more quality guys commit elsewhere, leaving us more and more desperate.

I completely understand your viewpoint but I like how they have prioritized two more high school seniors (Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna) and three grad transfers to use all 5 scholarships to complete the roster.
I would say don't rush the process in case something crazy happens like a scandal breaks or a coach gets fired causing a previously recruited player to become available.
For example and there is a slim chance this could happen. What if Mike Avenatti has proof Duke's coaching staff knowingly paid a player and he releases that information to the public. Say Coach K resigns or retires causing Vernon Carey Jr to decommit from Duke since he did not sign his NLI. Having an available scholarship in June would be beneficial.
With that being said, I would still prefer Miami get commitments from Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna along with atleast two grad transfers (Alihan Demir, Matej Kavis or TJ Holyfield).

5 open scholarships in April is not bad, 5 open scholarships in August is bad. Borderline terrible.

It is bad. Short of some insane and unlikely thing happening, it is way too many to have open.

For a school like us, which doesn't traditionally send players early to the NBA, 3 is a lot to fill.

It is bad. Short of some insane and unlikely thing happening, it is way too many to have open.

For a school like us, which doesn't traditionally send players early to the NBA, 3 is a lot to fill.

They have 5 kids that they are working on so that is why I don't see it as bad. If they did not know who would fill those scholarships then I would agree with you.

Do I want this to be an ongoing issue, absolutely not.

My uneducated assumption is that they'll fill 2-3 spots before summer and the rest in June/July. There are lots of kids transferring and available so I really don't mind the staff being picky. This has absolutely nothing to do with the FBI deal. We are currently a middle of the pack ACC team coming off a losing season so it's not like kids are lining up to play here. If we are in the same spot a month from now then I'd definitely be concerned.

Advertisement
They have 5 kids that they are working on so that is why I don't see it as bad. If they did not know who would fill those scholarships then I would agree with you.

A few things:

1. 5 spots to fill, even if you have specific targets, are way too many at this juncture. It could mean poor roster management, short of some crazy explanation. Given we've had roster issues for a few years...this would likely apply to us. 5 at this juncture is way too many. This doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means it is way too many.

2. If you need 5 spots to fill, we'd better be involved with 15 or more. It is one thing to have 5 ideal targets but there must be fallback plans/options. How likely is it to go 5 for 5?

3. I don't specifically know which 5 the staff is working on. I just hope we're after way more than that.

A few things:

1. 5 spots to fill, even if you have specific targets, are way too many at this juncture. It could mean poor roster management, short of some crazy explanation. Given we've had roster issues for a few years...this would likely apply to us. 5 at this juncture is way too many. This doesn't mean it can't be done. It just means it is way too many.

2. If you need 5 spots to fill, we'd better be involved with 15 or more. It is one thing to have 5 ideal targets but there must be fallback plans/options. How likely is it to go 5 for 5?

3. I don't specifically know which 5 the staff is working on. I just hope we're after way more than that.
Agreed. Sadly this program gets very little to zero recruiting coverage, so there is no comprehensive list of targets. We better be on at least 15-20 guys right now (high school, transfer, grad transfer) if we want all 5 filled.

Advertisement
A few things:

Does being dragged into an FBI investigation count as "some crazy explanation"?

I know people are tired of hearing about it, but that type of stuff has ramifications for years - recruiting classes of 0 are unheard of!

And when you consider that in the previous 2 years we landed 8 kids, including 3 5-stars and 3 4-stars, I think it's pretty safe to say the FBI was the main driver in that goose egg. Add a 5-star freshman, 1 or 2 4-star freshmen, and Hernandez to last year's team and it would have been safely in the dance.

Advertisement
Back