2019 recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
We get the first visit. Hopefully he shuts it down then but I doubt it.
Could be an even bigger 'get' than Beverly given the international experience. You'd like a kid from The Netherlands would be more comfortable in an international city like Miami as opposed to Lawrence, Kansas, but I never like going heads-up for a kid when they are involved.

Wow! Huge commit! I feel a little better now. We needed this badly. Although I think we still need at least one more guard for depth (preferably a sharp shooter), next year's backcourt should be in good shape.

Lykes
DJ
McGusty
Beverly
Wong

Advertisement
Does being dragged into an FBI investigation count as "some crazy explanation"?

I know people are tired of hearing about it, but that type of stuff has ramifications for years - recruiting classes of 0 are unheard of!

And when you consider that in the previous 2 years we landed 8 kids, including 3 5-stars and 3 4-stars, I think it's pretty safe to say the FBI was the main driver in that goose egg. Add a 5-star freshman, 1 or 2 4-star freshmen, and Hernandez to last year's team and it would have been safely in the dance.

Please see post 45 below

We’ve had roster management issues for numerous years now and way before the FBI bullchit.

Wow! Huge commit! I feel a little better now. We needed this badly. Although I think we still need at least one more guard for depth (preferably a sharp shooter), next year's backcourt should be in good shape.

Lykes
DJ
McGusty
Beverly
Wong
Was just going to mention. Adding Beverly is a huge coup in a variety of ways. He was one of the BPA still left on the board, and that is a big deal from a perception standpoint, especially considering our recruiting shortcomings last year and the subsequent season we had. Getting a kid from Montverde cannot be understated either as they are one of the best programs in the nation and perpetually have high-D1 talent.

From a purely basketball standpoint, this potentially allows DJ to slide back to a super-sub role where we can hide some of his defensive deficiencies. A guard lineup of Lykes - Beverly - McGusty is strong and gives us enough shooting to keep opposing defenses honest. I'd love if we'd be able to add to that with a bench led by Wong - DJ - and perhaps a kid like Enaruna.

Our bigs situation is pretty lean with really just Gak, Sam, Miller, and Anthony Walker so hopefully we turn our attention there next.

Advertisement
Also, Enaruna cut his list to 3 schoola. Kansas, Creighton and Miami. Hopefully our visit will lock it up for him.

Creighton. The dirtiest "little" program going. Pathetic that the NCAA tried to take us out for like 464th time but these clowns are still somehow competing for recruits with us and effing Kansas.

Add Holyfield, Enaruna, add a 5th yr Center and now suddenly we'd have a really solid roster for next season. Let's hope it happens.

Cant overstate how huge it is to win the Beverly recruitment

Advertisement
Please see post 45 below

We’ve had roster management issues for numerous years now and way before the FBI bullchit.

Yes, we have had roster management issues in the past. But just because there are two reasons (FBI + roster management issues), it doesn't mean that they should be equally weighted. That's like saying that because there are two choices to the question "will the sun come up tomorrow?", then there is a 50% chance the sun isn't coming up tomorrow.

It's extremely clear that, by far, the single most significant driver of last season's disaster was the FBI. Let's consider coaching and recruiting. At 75 Kenpom, the team was reasonably well-coached, despite sorely lacking talent. And regarding recruiting, let me know if you notice anything about the below.

Class recruiting rankings, per 247
2016: 15
2017: 10
2018: unranked, 0 commits
2019: 25 (with still a chance to move up)

Does anything stand out? Is there an obvious trend, and an extreme outlier? Is there an extremely unlikely, unpredictable, unfair event that could be driving that extreme outlier?

Yes, we have had roster management issues in the past. But just because there are two reasons (FBI + roster management issues), it doesn't mean that they should be equally weighted. That's like saying that because there are two choices to the question "will the sun come up tomorrow?", then there is a 50% chance the sun isn't coming up tomorrow.

It's extremely clear that, by far, the single most significant driver of last season's disaster was the FBI. Let's consider coaching and recruiting. At 75 Kenpom, the team was reasonably well-coached, despite sorely lacking talent. And regarding recruiting, let me know if you notice anything about the below.

Class recruiting rankings, per 247
2016: 15
2017: 10
2018: unranked, 0 commits
2019: 25 (with still a chance to move up)

Does anything stand out? Is there an obvious trend, and an extreme outlier? Is there an extremely unlikely, unpredictable, unfair event that could be driving that extreme outlier?

I think you’re not fully understanding my post. Perhaps read it again.

Advertisement
Back