2019 recruiting

Advertisement
Good point. I would not have a problem if they took Anthony Harris along with 4 grad transfers. The Canes have options.

I think that is too many grad transfers. We need to spread the scholarships by class better.

Ideally, and this won’t happen:

G: Beverly/Harris
F: Enaruna
Eligible Big Man: Grad Transfer #1
Eligible Guard: Grad Transfer #2
Eligible Big Man: Ugboh

That way you have space among the incoming ships. If you take 4 grad transfer this year. You “need” to fill them next year plus DJ plus anyone else who leaves.

NLI signing period coming up Apr 17-May 15. Do "regular" transfers (those having to sit out a year) fall under that period? I think so. What about Grad xsfers? Have to wait until they graduate from current school, right? But ... can they make (and the school they want to play at next season) make intentions known before that?

Harris is a Combo Guard, right?

Advertisement
I think that is too many grad transfers. We need to spread the scholarships by class better.

Ideally, and this won’t happen:

G: Beverly/Harris
F: Enaruna
Eligible Big Man: Grad Transfer #1
Eligible Guard: Grad Transfer #2
Eligible Big Man: Ugboh

That way you have space among the incoming ships. If you take 4 grad transfer this year. You “need” to fill them next year plus DJ plus anyone else who leaves.

You make a good point and I have thought about that. Actually, 3 or 4 grad transfers work very good if you look deeper at the long term (2 or 3 season) picture.

You are correct, DJ graduates next season and if Miami did adds 3 grad transfers along with Beverly and Enaruna for example. Coach L is a better coach with older teams. That would give him 4 seniors for the 2019-20 season along with 4 seniors (Chris Lykes, Rodney Miller, Sam Waardenberg and Kam McGusty) in the 2020-21 season.

That would also give Miami 4 scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class, which I have read is more talented than the 2019 class.

Good point and thanks. Most people don't think or see the long term picture.

NLI signing period coming up Apr 17-May 15. Do "regular" transfers (those having to sit out a year) fall under that period? I think so. What about Grad xsfers? Have to wait until they graduate from current school, right? But ... can they make (and the school they want to play at next season) make intentions known before that?

Harris is a Combo Guard, right?

NLI is normally for incoming players from high school. I think transfers are different especially grad transfers since "technically" they have to graduate school first, which normally happens in May. Of course, they could have graduated in the prior December.

Absolutely, a play can commit and announce his intentions any time. Social media would love that.

Yes, Harris is combo guard at 6'3, which is what Coach L likes.

Advertisement
Five Ships:

1. 2019 HS Senior (guard)
2. Grad Transfer (guard)
3. Grad Transfer (big man)
4. Grad Transfer (big man) or JUCO (Ugboh)
5. Best Available Transfer (guard) or 2019 HS Senior (guard) [This one can redshirt]

Make it happen.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-play-sec-searches-texas-tech-harlond-beverly

I spent a lot of time late last week watching the Geico Nationals on television. It was one of the most loaded, competitive and best played end of year high school tournaments I’ve ever watched. Bradenton (Fla.) IMG was a very deserving champ and went through a gauntlet. But, the guy who stood out most to me – especially since our focus here is recruiting – was Montverde (Fla.) Academy’s Harlond Beverly.

The senior guard hails from Michigan and is in my opinion the best available guard in the country not named Cole Anthony, despite there being a few other guards ahead of him in the current rankings who remain open. Beverly is explosive, he can shoot with range, he does things pretty efficiently and he knows how to shine and get his while playing with other big time talent. That’s not as easy as it sounds and guys who don’t pout about touches or sharing the spotlight always seem to do well. I once had a coach tell me that guys are either ditch diggers or dudes, Beverly is most certainly a dude.

Beverly took an official visit to Indiana recently, Kansas has made him a major priority and so has Georgia, Michigan is circling, Miami wants him and many others are trying to get a sniff. The more I see of him, I see a potential impact player anywhere in America and I have a feeling the race for his services is about to get very intense.

Advertisement

Harlond Beverly took his official visit to Miami two weeks ago. I read it was schedule for March 15 but this is the first article where it was confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Harlond20

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/10...harlond-beverly-to-visit-georgia-after-miami/

Harlond Beverly, the 6-foot-4 combo guard from Montverde (FL) Academy, will take an official visit to Georgia this weekend following his trip to Miami two weeks ago.

Georgia coach Tom Crean has visited Montverde several times recently for both Beverly and uncommtted wing Precious Achiuwa, who plays Friday in the Nike Hoop Summit.

As for Miami, “It was good,” he said. “They want me to come be an immediate impact player and be the best I can be.”

Indiana, Iowa State, Virginia, Kansas, Xavier and Baylor are among those also involved, and Beverly is still considering his options.

Last edited:

Harlond Beverly took his official visit to Miami two weeks ago. I read it was schedule for March 15 but this is the first article where it was confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Harlond20

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/10...harlond-beverly-to-visit-georgia-after-miami/

Harlond Beverly, the 6-foot-4 combo guard from Montverde (FL) Academy, will take an official visit to Georgia this weekend following his trip to Miami two weeks ago.

Georgia coach Tom Crean has visited Montverde several times recently for both Beverly and uncommtted wing Precious Achiuwa, who plays Friday in the Nike Hoop Summit.

As for Miami, “It was good,” he said. “They want me to come be an immediate impact player and be the best I can be.”

Indiana, Iowa State, Virginia, Kansas, Xavier and Baylor are among those also involved, and Beverly is still considering his options.

Not exactly an exciting statement regarding his Miami visit.

Advertisement

It sounds like he is weighing his options. Miami offers him a chance to start along with significant playing time as a freshman and he would definitely start at Miami the rest of his career.

At Georgia, he is going to play behind Anthony Edwards for 1 year. The same goes for Indiana until Romeo Langford turns pro.

I agree though, I would feel better if he said it went great.

When are we gonna start hearing names from Coach L? I see Louisville signed a good xsfer today in "Fresh" Kimble from St. Joe's. A really good guard.

Hopefully we are going after all the top grad transfers hard, we don’t have to be too choosy with the amount of scholarships we have open.

Look at Texas Tech with what you can do with grad transfers.

Advertisement
Back