2019 recruiting

Advertisement
Don’t expect Miami to get any other high schoolers. It’s all gonna be grad transfers and transfers who have to sit out a year. That’s what happens when you finish under .500.

Advertisement
Don’t expect Miami to get any other high schoolers. It’s all gonna be grad transfers and transfers who have to sit out a year. That’s what happens when you finish under .500.
Personally, I'd rather have a mix of Xsfers, Grad xsfers and HS players. Fact is, we've done better with Xsfers/Grad Xsfers than with HS recruits. Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClinton, Sheldon Mac, plus many others -- none HS recruits.

Personally, I'd rather have a mix of Xsfers, Grad xsfers and HS players. Fact is, we've done better with Xsfers/Grad Xsfers than with HS recruits. Larkin, Kadji, McKinney-Jones, McClinton, Sheldon Mac, plus many others -- none HS recruits.
It hasn't worked that well in recent years.

We've had a flurry of transfers not work out for a variety of reasons:
Disciplinary - Muhammad, Wilson, several others I can't remember
Johnson was solid but unspectacular
Joe Thomas was a role player
Same with Kirk
Same with Murphy
Anthony Mack appears to be a bit player.

Our last team this formula saw great success with was several years ago with Sheldon Mac and Angel. We need more than 2 High School players in this class. Our magic with transfers has dried up.

Last edited:
I don't follow basketball recruiting like I do football, but I'd imagine that there are few coaches in America who've had it tougher than Coach L. Came into a mess, and then when he was starting to right the ship and build on a couple very good classes, the BS FBI investigation sets him back 2 years.

When L was hired, I celebrated because he's truly a great coach. Look at our record against UNC and Duke. With far inferior talent.

I said then, though, and a George Mason fan who'd come to this board agreed, Larranaga has never been known as a dynamic recruiter. He really was unable to capitalize at Mason off that Final Four appearance. And, as noted, when he's been fortunate to get top HS kids, he suffered some bad luck with Brown getting injured and Lonnie Walker starting out still not 100%, not living up to his hype, and then his bolting for the NBA.

Bottom line: We've yet to have a HC since 1985 who has consistently been able to recruit well. And, that's hardly all on them with the apathy surrounding the program with weak student and fan support. Why we might need a "super recruiter" like a Pitino or his ilk to crack that 35 year and counting "ceiling".

Advertisement
When L was hired, I celebrated because he's truly a great coach. Look at our record against UNC and Duke. With far inferior talent.

I said then, though, and a George Mason fan who'd come to this board agreed, Larranaga has never been known as a dynamic recruiter. He really was unable to capitalize at Mason off that Final Four appearance. And, as noted, when he's been fortunate to get top HS kids, he suffered some bad luck with Brown getting injured and Lonnie Walker starting out still not 100%, not living up to his hype, and then his bolting for the NBA.

Bottom line: We've yet to have a HC since 1985 who has consistently been able to recruit well. And, that's hardly all on them with the apathy surrounding the program with weak student and fan support. Why we might need a "super recruiter" like a Pitino or his ilk to crack that 35 year and counting "ceiling".
Don't forget on how we got screwed out of a recruiting class with the FBI garbage. Without that happening, we would be in a much better place.

It hasn't worked that well in recent years.

We've had a flurry of transfers not work out for a variety of reasons:
Disciplinary - Muhammad, Wilson, several others I can't remember
Johnson was solid but unspectacular
Joe Thomas was a role player
Same with Kirk
Same with Murphy
Anthony Mack appears to be a bit player.

Our last team this formula saw great success with was several years ago with Sheldon Mac and Angel. We need more than 2 High School players in this class. Our magic with transfers has dried up.

Murphy was really good, he was a beast on defense and rebounding. That's a definite hit.

Zach Johnson played well this year. That's almost as good as it gets with a grad transfer. You dont get spectacular grad transfers so I dont know what you expect.

McGusty is supposed to be really good. From the practice reports he might be on par with Mac. Obviously he's a guy they absolutely need to stay on the roster.

Last edited:
Murphy was really good, he was a beast on defense and rebounding. That's a definite hit.

Zach Johnson played well this year. That's almost as good as it gets with a grad transfer. You dont get spectacular grad transfers so I dont know what you expect.

McGusty is supposed to be really good. From the practice reports he might be on par with Mac. Obviously he's a guy they absolutely need to stay on the roster.
Maybe I was a little rough with Murphy.

Agreed on Johnson, but I guess what I didn't clearly say in the last post is that if that's the max we can expect with a grad transfer, we shouldn't rely on them to be a staple in this program.

I'm excited about McGusty, but our recent history with transfers getting booted before the season even starts makes me weary.

Advertisement
There is a thread called "Transfer Portal" and I have update two websites that list all of the basketball players in the portal. At this moment, there are close to 460 players in the portal. Both regular and grad transfers.

Remember, regular transfers sit out next season unless granted a waiver by the NCAA but grad transfers are eligible immediately for 1 year.

Miami will either have 2 or 4 scholarships available so there is "NO" reason or excuse why the basketball team should not have 13 players on scholarship next season and I am not including Willie Herenton and Dominic Proctor. They have established themselves as walk-ons.

IMO, grad transfers would be better because they provide depth to the 2019-20 roster and could potentially start. The coaching staff can use those two to four scholarships for freshman in the 2020 recruiting class. Which some people feel is a more talented class than 2019.

I am against any regular transfer until Kam McGusty gets past October and plays a regular season game.

Best case scenario IMO: Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna commit and Miami adds two grad transfer bigs for next season.

Worse case scenario IMO: Miami adds two grad transfer wings and two grad transfer bigs to complete the 13 man roster for next season.

Maybe I was a little rough with Murphy.

Agreed on Johnson, but I guess what I didn't clearly say in the last post is that if that's the max we can expect with a grad transfer, we shouldn't rely on them to be a staple in this program.

I'm excited about McGusty, but our recent history with transfers getting booted before the season even starts makes me weary.
Look at all the great players like McClinton, Sheldon Mac, Larkin, Kadji, et al and tell me again why you'd think Zach or Murphy was the "max we can expect." Our brightest stars have been transfers. Likely will be again going forward.

Hotshot has a point.

Transfer have worked out extremely well. Most due to the fact that freshman recruiting was a work in progress except for the last three to four years.

In-State recruiting is actually worse if you think about it. 2 freshman players from the state of Florida in the last five years have signed with U. That is a bigger problem.

Advertisement
Look at all the great players like McClinton, Sheldon Mac, Larkin, Kadji, et al and tell me again why you'd think Zach or Murphy was the "max we can expect." Our brightest stars have been transfers. Likely will be again going forward.
Throw in players that transferred to Miami that never even stepped on the court for us.

There is a thread called "Transfer Portal" and I have update two websites that list all of the basketball players in the portal. At this moment, there are close to 460 players in the portal. Both regular and grad transfers.

Remember, regular transfers sit out next season unless granted a waiver by the NCAA but grad transfers are eligible immediately for 1 year.

Miami will either have 2 or 4 scholarships available so there is "NO" reason or excuse why the basketball team should not have 13 players on scholarship next season and I am not including Willie Herenton and Dominic Proctor. They have established themselves as walk-ons.

IMO, grad transfers would be better because they provide depth to the 2019-20 roster and could potentially start. The coaching staff can use those two to four scholarships for freshman in the 2020 recruiting class. Which some people feel is a more talented class than 2019.

I am against any regular transfer until Kam McGusty gets past October and plays a regular season game.

Best case scenario IMO: Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna commit and Miami adds two grad transfer bigs for next season.

Worse case scenario IMO: Miami adds two grad transfer wings and two grad transfer bigs to complete the 13 man roster for next season.

<AlonzoMourningShakingHisHeadNoAndThenShakingHisHeadYes.gif>

Our success with transfers has long maxed out. You're siting players from 4+ years ago.

We've gone from Larkin to Anthony freakin Mack.

Our success with transfers has long maxed out. You're siting players from 4+ years ago.

We've gone from Larkin to Anthony freakin Mack.

And you're citing 1 guy, and ignoring recent players

Zach Johnson was a good player. So was Murphy. McGusty is a guy the coaches think will be really good.

If you want to be depressed, fine. But arguing Miami shouldnt take transfers doesnt make much sense. Should we not take HS recruits either because of how bad Miller has been?

Advertisement
Back