2019 recruiting

We missed on Little because of the FBI crap. It cost us at 2 players. I doubt Coach L would have recruited Mack if we had a normal recruiting class.

Advertisement
We missed on Little because of the FBI crap. It cost us at 2 players. I doubt Coach L would have recruited Mack if we had a normal recruiting class.
That's easy to say in hindsight with no way to disprove it. My guess is we had about as much of a chance at signing Little -- even if there never were FBI issues -- as we did with VCJ.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think it is safe to say that Dewan is gone. That means, including the 2019 kids, we have 9 scholarship players. This also assumes that nobody leaves. That means we have plenty of open scholarships. We can't go into the transfer market with 4 open spots. That is way too many open spots to rely on transfers to fill.

Actual Targets:

G: Harlond Beverly
G: Lester Quinones
G: Cole Anthony

Are there any other players?

Transfer Targets (Prospects to Consider):

F: Carte'Are Gordon
G: Quinton Adlesh
G: Vante Hendrix

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't feel good about landing HB, LQ or CA. We've also offered Damion Baugh, another CG out of TN, but don't think we've been on him. Besides, he's probably all Memphis.

Big men are a black hole next year. Anthony Walker will be very raw but has potential. Gak needs to gain weight and show he can actually be a threat inside. Otherwise he's at risk for getting pushed around, especially in conference play. Sam is Sam and barring divine intervention, Miller is nothing more than a jersey filler.

Looks like the transfer market for sure.

Looks like the transfer market for sure.

Three things:

1. Regardless of dire our numbers are TODAY. I highly doubt coach will, for the first time in 4 years (going into next season being the 4th year), use all of our scholarships.

2. Assuming we get no more 2019 Recruits, how likely is it we can get 4 transfers? Last year we got 3 transfers. That was a lot for us.

3. Finally, what are the odds that nobody leaves? Last year it was Wilson. We average more than one kid leaving per year.

Last edited:
13 is the number of scholarship players a school is allowed to have on the basketball team.

If this season has taught us one thing, it is that you need 13 scholarship players as injuries, academics, investigations , red shirt or just plain player instability can reduce your number of available players to 10 or below. You want to always have 10 guys available to play every game. Whether or not the coaches play them in each game is up to the coaches but you always want to have options.

In my opinion, the coaches should target grad transfers who can play immediately and then the scholarships will be available for 2020 freshman.

Hypothetical roster for the 2019-20 season.

Point Guards Chris Lykes Isaiah Wong
Shooting Guards DJ Vasiljevic Anthony Mack
Small Forward Kam McGusty Sam Wardenburg (he is not strong enough to play the 4)
Power Forward Deng Gak Anthony Walker
Center Dewan Hernandez Rodney Miller

Complete the roster with a 2019 freshman guard and redshirt him. Regardless if Dewan returns for his senior season or turns pro, the Canes will need at least two grad transfer big men as Gak is returning from an injury, Miller is a question mark even with better conditioning and Walker is a freshman, which is another question mark until we see him play. Hopefully, Sam has figured it out because if he is healthy, Coach L is going to start him at the 4 next season. Please play better soon Sam. I believe in you.

P.S. Let's stay away from the regular transfer who has to sit out one year until we see Kam McGusty play in 2019-20. Then I will feel go about going that route again.

GO CANES.

Advertisement

Isaiah Wong is averaging 23.8 points per game in the Philadelphia Catholic league. He scored 29 along with the game winner against Roman Catholic. Roman Catholic has Seth Lundy (2019 Penn State Commit), Lynn Greer III (2020 Miami target) along with Justice Williams and Jalen Duren and Justice Williams (2022 targets).
Isaiah will be a valuable addition as Miami currently does not have a backup PG on the roster.

Cannot believe what the bull**** FBI investigation did to our program. I'm not sure Coach L can recover from this.

Cannot believe what the bull**** FBI investigation did to our program. I'm not sure Coach L can recover from this.
In hindsight, what could he have done to prevent his name being falsely linked? Never taken a call or responded to a text from shoe company reps? I suspect he's given this some thought.

Last edited:
The only mistake Coach L made was not using the available scholarships. I agree, the FBI investigation was very bad but he could have added grad transfers to ensure he has a full compliment of players. As I mentioned earlier, depending on Dewan Hernandez, the Canes will have either 9 or 10 players for the 2019-20 season.
Lets learn from this experience and add 3 grad transfers to the roster to have 13 available players.

Advertisement
Back