2019 recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
These are some of the comments that have fueled speculation on Zion's strategy;

"Brian Windhorst pointed out that not hiring an agent or signing a shoe deal keeps Williamson’s college eligibility intact, as long as he pulls his name out of draft consideration by June 10, the early entrant withdrawal deadline that comes 10 days before the draft itself."

" ... when Williamson learned that the Pelicans got the No. 1 pick, he “kind of looked like he had been hit by a truck.”

" ... as the New York Times’ Marc Stein noted Wednesday, leaving open the option to (return to Duke) could give him leverage with the Pelicans"

Many draftees in all sports have successfully called the bluff of teams they were drafted by: Steve Francis, Dominique Wilkins, John Elway, Eli Manning, Eric Lindros, J D Drew, etc.

Considering Miami lost 7 to 10 games by 10 points or less last season, I feel they have added more scoring and depth to the roster to compete in a weaker ACC. With a strong non-conference schedule, no injuries and players play up to their abilities, I see no reason why this group will not make the NCAA tournament.

Looks like it’s probably a tournament team. We should be able to have a 10 man rotation but our frontcourt is nowhere near as good as it was last year. We have nothing but bigs who should probably be the 2nd big off the bench for a mid tier ACC team. I think our guard play is good enough to get us there but I would definitely not say we are a shoe in for the tournament

Advertisement
Looks like it’s probably a tournament team. We should be able to have a 10 man rotation but our frontcourt is nowhere near as good as it was last year. We have nothing but bigs who should probably be the 2nd big off the bench for a mid tier ACC team. I think our guard play is good enough to get us there but I would definitely not say we are a shoe in for the tournament
So ... since we're so heavily Guard/Wing-oriented, shouldn't we expect to see a pressing defense and a baseline-to-baseline, faster-paced offense this season? I would've said "fast-breaking" instead of "fast-paced" offense but to fast break, you need someone who can sweep the defensive glass and provide the outlet pass. Also, need depth. Not sure we have those components but ... we surely do not have any inside game..

No doubt that most recruits want to play that UNC style, as opposed to a slow half-court game. If we can transition more to that style, could have the added benefit of helping our HS recruiting.

Our guards have to be able to turn the corner on the ball screen and get into the lane to create shots not just for themselves but for the other wing in the corner for a 3 point shot or the big rolling to the basket.

The ball screen offense was ineffective last season because DJ and Anthony Mack could not turn the corner and get into the lane. Only Chris Lykes and Zach Johnson could do that. Compared to two seasons ago when Miami always had three guards who could get into the lane (Bruce Brown, Lonnie Walker, Jaquan Newton, Chris Lykes in some combination).

Miami will be back to that next season with Chris Lykes, Kam McGusty, Isaiah Wong and Harlond Beverly. Keith Stone may be able to do that also from the forward position. I wish Tristan Enaruna would have committed because he can also create shots.

I agree, Miami needs to press and play more uptempo to get more guys shots and playing time. Not 7 seconds or less but more uptempo.

What our offenses have come down to (with the exception of the 2012-13 team that won the ACC and the ACC Tourney) is ball screens to open up three point shooting. We epitomize the old "Live by the 3, Die by the 3" maxim.

Lykes may have been able to, as you put it, "turn the corner and get in the lane," but was that really a good thing? Usually, he ended up eating leather when he took it to the rack. Zach is gone and Lykes, while exciting as ****, exhibited unexpectedly poor 3 point shooting last season, along with the expected defensive deficiencies.

The problem with Lykes is that he wants to prove he is not too small on every play. He gets too deep and puts himself in bad situations. Hopefully he will "turn the corner" and learn from his mistakes.

It would be nice if we could play more high low basketball or get something from a post player but our staff have not developed anyone to fill that role.

Also, Miami has some guys whose contribution is questionable until seen: Sam Wardenburg and Rodney Miller.

Advertisement
Can't disagree with any of that. I'm expecting Lykes to put up better numbers from beyond the 3 point arc this coming season (wherever that arc now may be located). I think our thin roster led to too many forced shots by him last year. Hopefully, with the help on the way, that won't be the case this campaign.

These are some of the comments that have fueled speculation on Zion's strategy;

"Brian Windhorst pointed out that not hiring an agent or signing a shoe deal keeps Williamson’s college eligibility intact, as long as he pulls his name out of draft consideration by June 10, the early entrant withdrawal deadline that comes 10 days before the draft itself."

" ... when Williamson learned that the Pelicans got the No. 1 pick, he “kind of looked like he had been hit by a truck.”

" ... as the New York Times’ Marc Stein noted Wednesday, leaving open the option to (return to Duke) could give him leverage with the Pelicans"

Many draftees in all sports have successfully called the bluff of teams they were drafted by: Steve Francis, Dominique Wilkins, John Elway, Eli Manning, Eric Lindros, J D Drew, etc.

I thought you were being sarcastic with your prior comment.

I don't think he'll return to Duke but I'm not at all sure he'll ever suit up for the Pelicans.

Advertisement

I wonder if this will cause Tristan Enaruna to decommit as it looks like he is already not in the rotation at Kansas. Miami still has plenty of minutes available.

Advertisement
Back