2019 recruiting

Advertisement
This is actually some bull****. Enaruna should've come here, he wouldve been a starter by the end of the year. Now he's gonna be wasting a year stuck in the bench.

I could not agree with you more. Playing time should always come before tradition or anything else. It will be interesting to see if he stays or transfers after a year.

The Miami backcourt is very good with Lykes, Vasiljevic, Wong, Beverly and McGusty. The question marks remain in the frontcourt with Miller (skill development), Wardeenburg (toughness and aggressiveness), Gak (injury recovery), Stone (injury recovery), Walker (inexperience) and Brooks (redshirt).

Advertisement

The Miami backcourt is very good with Lykes, Vasiljevic, Wong, Beverly and McGusty. The question marks remain in the frontcourt with Miller (skill development), Wardeenburg (toughness and aggressiveness), Gak (injury recovery), Stone (injury recovery), Walker (inexperience) and Brooks (redshirt).

Agreed. I would like one more wing for depth purposes, but this backcourt is talented and has diverse weapons.

The frontcourt, on the other hand, is an unmitigated disaster.

How good would it have been to land Kerry Blackshear? The VT transfer to UF is picked by one publication I saw as a potential SEC POY.

How good would it have been to land Kerry Blackshear? The VT transfer to UF is picked by one publication I saw as a potential SEC POY.

That is not as bad as thinking, what if Vernon Carey and CJ Walker had committed to Miami. The 2019 recruiting class would be considered the best recruiting class ever at Miami and Sweet Sixteen would be the minimum expectation as Miami would be a preseason top 15 team.

I have stopped thinking about those things at this point but it is interesting how one player changes the entire perception of a team.

Funny, he is an SEC POY candidate but he probably would not be first team all-ACC. Interesting.

Advertisement
I guess it's a down year for the SEC.

Still, I'd rather have had Blackshear than Carey or CJ Walker. If he's just the same player he was at VT, we might've had him for two years (as I think he's just a rising Junior).

DANTE SITUATION SHOULD CLEAR UP IN THE RELATIVELY NEAR FUTURE
Crtft2pp2aiwxwzxvxab

N'Faly Dante (Nick Lucero/Rivals.com)
Is there anything new to report on the current status of 2020 five-star N’Faly Dante and a potential move to 2019? No not really. But, I would look for something to happen in the relatively near future.

Currently a top-10 player in the senior class, it is looking more and more likely that Dante will enroll as a member of the class of 2019 and play this season as a freshman. First, though, he’s got the Nike Skills Academy in Los Angeles this weekend. Within a week, maybe two, we’ll hear an answer as to exactly where he ends up.

As of today, I’m seeing this more and more as two-horse race between Kentucky and Oregon and I’ve logged my FutureCast for Kentucky. However, the Ducks are very much in the thick of it and there are certainly others who feel that the Ducks are the team to beat. Bottom line, he’s still undecided so things can change here over the next few weeks.

Whichever program gets him will be getting an athletic, physically put together low post presence who protects the rim, scores on the block and has really developed his touch over the last year.

I know Miami offered him for the 2020 recruiting class but they still have 2 scholarships available for the 2019 recruiting class. He is probably a one and done kid so this move would not affect the 2020 recruiting class.

Advertisement
I feel dumb asking but perhaps i'm not alone:

So we offer a scholarship to John Doe, good ofc for 4 years but what if he is a one and done and is off to the NBA after 1 year. Do we somehow immediately (year2,3,4) get a scholarship "back" to reuse on someone else, or does a limited scholarship "slots" approach mean it is frozen the entire 4 years nonetheless? TY.

So we offer a scholarship to John Doe, good ofc for 4 years but what if he is a one and done and is off to the NBA after 1 year. Do we somehow immediately (year2,3,4) get a scholarship "back" to reuse on someone else, or does a limited scholarship "slots" approach mean it is frozen the entire 4 years nonetheless? TY.

You get the scholarship back if the player leaves early. But you actually raise an interesting point. If a program lost the scholarship for 4 years, regardless if the player left early, it would definitely prevent one or two programs from gobbling up all the one-and-done talent every year.

****, I wasn't thinking about that... but the Dukes and NC and Ariz and all would have to take less one and dones, and spread the talent around/ when I am NCAA commish i'm implementing it at once!

Advertisement

Actually, scholarships are renewable on a yearly basis so truthfully, a scholarship is only a one year commitment from the school. That is how schools who take one and done players always have scholarships available.

I am not advertising Miami to become that type of school as it is hard to build chemistry in 6 months and quite frankly, some one and done players are not that good and should not be considered one and done.

It really comes down to how you project a player will develop in your program. For example, if a school has 5 available scholarships (ie Miami in 2020 potentially) then I would take 1 one and done player, 2 top 50 kid who could turn pro in 2 or 3 years and 2 top 100 kids or in-state kids who might be with the program for 4 years. That ensures you have a talent throughout the roster. If a school has 4 scholarships available then I would take 1 one and done player, 2 top 5 kids who could turn pro in 2 or 3 years and 1 top 100 or in-state kids for the full four years.

Of course, if your recruiting year does not work out as planned then go the grad transfer route and add another scholarship freshman to the upcoming recruiting class.

It is safe to say, these three have become a good recruiting class that will get better with more playing time and experience.

Advertisement
Back