2019 recruiting

Advertisement
For those of you who follow recruiting closely, what type of class are looking at? What names are we in a good spot for?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Is A. Walker in addition to Carey?

Obviously this is a big assumption we get Carey but even without him we you have (potentially at PF in 2019):

Sr: Huell
Rd-Jr: Waardenburg
Rd-So: Gak (can be a C)

Now obviously Huell could leave and Gak can play C but if Carey comes and Huell stays, Walker appears to be a candidate for a redshirt or some burn at C next year. I imagine if Huell and Carey are here next year, they may play a lot at the same time too.

If you think about it, we could have 7 open scholarships before next season.

1. There are 5 open scholarships for next year.
2. Huell may go pro.
3. There is a chance that one kid leaves or gets booted (it happens quite frequently, more than 1 per season average).

Advertisement

2. Huell may go pro.
3. There is a chance that one kid leaves or gets booted (it happens quite frequently, more than 1 per season average).
That big number pretty much dictates one or more Grad Xsfers or JuCos to try to "balance out" the team class-wise,.

Wong, both Walkers, and Carey would be huge then figure out the rest. Losing Johnson, Amp, and Izundu to graduation. Huell (Hernandez) may test the waters again.

Advertisement
That big number pretty much dictates one or more Grad Xsfers or JuCos to try to "balance out" the team class-wise,.

And you need to have 4-5 of them signed before transfer season. You can’t go into transfer season with so many questions.

Here is a potential breakdown:

- 4-5 HS Seniors (5 if elite kid like Carey wants in)
- 1 Grad Transfer/Big Man (replacing Huell if he leaves)
- 1 Transfer/JUCO (best player available that might have to sit out)

-

Of the HS Seniors, assuming nothing crazy happens:

1 PG
1 SG
1 SG/SF
1 PF/C

If you can get Carey, add him to the list but I would still try to being in something like the above. 1-2 of these guys might benefit with a redshirt.

2. Huell may go pro.

I would prefer the Canes use all six scholarships on Freshman instead of transfers (not grad transfers) who will get kicked off the team.

Wong, Anthony, Both Walkers, Carey, Kai Jones or Damari Monsanto would be a great recruiting class. Even if Carey and Anthony are one and done (I am sure they are) then the Canes will have 2 additional scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

Advertisement
I would prefer the Canes use all six scholarships on Freshman instead of transfers (not grad transfers) who will get kicked off the team.

Wong, Anthony, Both Walkers, Carey, Kai Jones or Damari Monsanto would be a great recruiting class. Even if Carey and Anthony are one and done (I am sure they are) then the Canes will have 2 additional scholarships for the 2020 recruiting class.

Do you understand why there is a major issue taking 6 HS Seniors?

With Dewan almost certainly leaving after this year and Izundu a senior, we really need to land a grad transfer PF/C. That should be 1 spot. Then take 1 regular transfer, and hopefully 4 HS guys (Wong, both Walkers, Carey hopefully)

Do you understand why there is a major issue taking 6 HS Seniors?

That is an old school philosophy but I respect your opinion. It is not 6 freshman who need to develop and be really good in 4 years. All 6 on my list can play and contribute immediately. 2 could/should (Anthony and Carey) start because they are that talented and they will probably only be in school one year, which is fine with me.
Either it be a grad transfer, transfer or freshman, the individual still needs to learn the offense.

Unless you're Duke or Kentucky, signing 6 HS seniors in one recruiting class means you are in for a rebuild.

Advertisement
Back