2018 - Top Targets So Far (Defense)/ Potential Offers

For LB, get me Yasir Abdullah. That kid's a beast.

Does anyone worry this kid might be a tweener like Wilder was. I don't know if we can afford taking another guy like Wilder we need some true LBs.

How is he a tweener? He weighs 195 lbs and has Jermaine Grace type speed.

Once he adds 15-20 lbs, he's the perfect fit for OLB in this defense.

Just because Carol City chooses to use him at DE doesn't make him a tweener

Hope to see him more at LB than to really say if he's not then.

Advertisement
Idk why y'all keep penciling in Russell from carol city in this class. Elite ballers only

Cb
Blades
Campbell
Dj Ivey
Surtain or someone else*

Combo fs/cb
Josh jobe

Safety
Frierson
Hall

This is what our db backfield should look like in this class

Surtain doesn't seem very likely to be in this class at all. And we're going to take more than 2 at safety. Jobe could be either a safety or corner, but its also a big question if we can even keep him.
However if we do get Jobe then we either need another corner and he plays safety or we need another safety and he plays corner. So basically imo this comes down to asante samuel or Russell.

Added Silvera as a commit. Would love to see a DT class of..

- Nesta Silvera

- Davontae McCrae (IMO he gets an offer soon)

- Jamarcus Chatman

- 1 of Randy Charlton or Taron Vincent (longshot)

Advertisement
Gotta be somewhere between 25-30

If the roster remained intact and nobody left for the NFL early we'd only have 14 spots. Attrition is expected but we'd need to lose 11 guys to get to 25. 30 is definitely not happening.

It will be 25+. We will see 3-5 more underclassmen leave before Fall, and the same number after next season. It will happen naturally after depth charts start to form up. Just at QB we should expect 2-3 transfers between now and Fall 2018. We will also have 2-3 players go early to the NFL. ... Which means we start with 22-27 spots before managing kids out. Plenty of space for this class. Maybe not 30, but definitely 25+.

I agree with this however I believe the coaches are planning for 7 DBs in this class. 2018 should be a full class and it needs to be because of all the great talent and the fact that Richt seems to be getting his recruiting "bump" with this group. We can't afford to be passive. If there is dead weight to be cut then this is the time to cut it. 2018 could be the class that puts us back among the elite in terms of overall talent on the rooster so we need to make it count.

Defensive Board shapes up a little more after the weekend (updated OP)

- Briggs with an offer at DT
- Russel Commits at S

DE and LB class is still wide open

Added Silvera as a commit. Would love to see a DT class of..

- Nesta Silvera

- Davontae McCrae (IMO he gets an offer soon)

- Jamarcus Chatman

- 1 of Randy Charlton or Taron Vincent (longshot)

Replace Davontae McCrae with Jordan Davis out of North Carolina and that's a fantastic DT class.

Advertisement
Joyners junior season. Complete stud:

[HUDL]video/3/4763401/58321b29c124d813c8236fcd[/HUDL]

Advertisement
[MENTION=3341]FreePawn[/MENTION] is this kid an academic nightmare or something?

Seems like that's usually what goes in to these guys not getting much attention. I don't want to speculate but just seems odd.

[MENTION=3341]FreePawn[/MENTION] is this kid an academic nightmare or something?

Seems like that's usually what goes in to these guys not getting much attention. I don't want to speculate but just seems odd.

I don't think so. All his tape is basically him blitzing from the outside like a 3-4 OLB. Doesn't really fit our system. He looks like a classic tweener. Which would explain why he doesn't have any big time offers.

Advertisement
@FreePawn is this kid an academic nightmare or something?

I don't think so. All his tape is basically him blitzing from the outside like a 3-4 OLB. Doesn't really fit our system. He looks like a classic tweener. Which would explain why he doesn't have any big time offers.
I think a kid his size that gets to the QB is a fit for any system.

Classic tweener? He has at least as much athleticism as Wilder but is 30lbs heavier with a frame to easily carry more weight. Any college coach worth his salt will rightly believe he can teach Joyner to play LB.

As always, there will be plenty of players this year who emerge between their junior and senior seasons. Joyner will be one of them. Not everyone is a household name before their sophomore year. This kid's talent will either get him a UM offer or UM will regret it in a few years.

Did a little shuffling to the OP. Moved Campbell to our #1 target at CB cause I think he is and should be.

At LB, it sounds like the staff really wants Reese, Louis, and Sherwood (grow out of the S spot). Ideal LB IMO - Reese, Louis, Abdullah, and Sherwood as a S/LB tweener

Not sure what the DE board looks like right now, but time will tell us

Advertisement
Back