2018 - Top Targets So Far (Defense)/ Potential Offers

Gerald Willis should already be viewed as an early draft entry he not staying another season

Advertisement
Advertisement
DE - Chatfield
ILB - Perryman

Bump, Chatfield should be on the radar for potential DE, love his film.

Also Traquan Butler could get looks at CB. New transfer into Southridge, been picking up a lot of steam on the 7 v 7 circuit recently.

Last edited:
Advertisement
DE: After taking only 2 last year and losing Chad Thomas and Trent Harris after this year, I think we take somewhere around 3 DEs

- Greg Rousseau
- Stacy Kirby
- Kayode Oladele
- Nik Bonitto
- Max Wright
- Andrew Tuazama
- Dorian Hardy

Potential Offers -

- Jason Mercier
- James Head
- Randy Charlton
- Jarrett Jackson
- Andrew Chatfield

Verdict: IMO we don't need to leave SoFla for true DEs this year. I hope we offer guys like Mercier, Head, Charlton, etc.

DT: Need at least 3 and one or two who are studs and can potentially play right away.

1. Taron Vincent
- Nesta Silvera
- Jordan Davis
- Michael Thompson
- Jamarcus Chatman
- Ronnie Perkins
- Robert Cooper (FSU Commit)

Potential Offers - Davontae McCrae

Verdict: Need Kool to work his magic in this cycle. Would love to land a top rated DT like Vincent but its going to be tough. Maybe Kool can use his St Louis connections to land a guy like Thompson or Perkins. I think McCrae should get an offer. Perfect athletic DT for Kool's system. Most targets will be OOS guys though.

LB: 2 or 3

- Rosendo Louis
- Donovan Georges (UGA Commit)
- David Reese
- Cameron Jonas
- Jamien Sherwood (maybe a S not a LB but somewhat of a tweener)

Potential Offers - Yasir Abdullah

Verdict: Seems like Louis and Georges are our top targets for ILB. Would love to land either one. Need to offer Abdullah. Him and Reese would be the perfect OLB for this class. Again, no need to leave SoFla here.

CB: 3 or 4

1. Josh Jobe (Commit)
2. DJ Ivey (Commit)
3. Al Blades
4. Pat Surtain Jr.
5. Tyson Campbell
6. Marquez Ezzard
7. Miguel Edwards

Potential Offers - Asante Samuel Jr., Divaad Wilson (UF Commit), Lamont Finnie

Verdict: I'm sure I'm missing some names here, but as we know the 2018 DB class is loaded. IMO, Jobe, Ivey, Blades, and Asante Samuel is the perfect CB class. Maybe add Campbell as a S/CB hybrid. I think Surtain is all LSU.

S: 3 or 4

1. Gurvan Hall
2. Gilbert Frierson (Commit)
3. Tyreke Johnson
4. Randy Russell

Verdict: Hall = perfect SS, Frierson = perfect FS, Russell = perfect in the box S. Close up the S class with those 3

Great lists. I may get blasted for this but I prefer Jobe at Safety. Sure he will make a fine CB however. A safety class of Hall, Frierson and Russell would be unreal and would only be topped by a CB class of Blades, Ivey, Jobe and Campbell.

As far as Surtain being all LSU, I don't get the appeal of that program to out of state kids whatsoever. Yes they have churned out many NFL players I get that but what else do they have going for them? Location? No way! Baton Spooge is a dump. Education and value of an LSU degree? Don't make me laugh. I can see how a Florida kid could be drawn to Alabama because they are a dominant program that competes for national titles on a yearly basis. I can see how a Louisiana kid could be attracted to LSU since that is the school there. What I can't fathom is how a Florida kid like Patrick Surtain Jr with his pick of any university in the country could be attracted to LSU. The kid could go to Miami, FSU, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio St, Alabama, USC etc..... literally anywhere but he is all in on LSU? Makes no sense to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As far as Surtain being all LSU, I don't get the appeal of that program to out of state kids whatsoever. Yes they have churned out many NFL players I get that but what else do they have going for them? Location? No way! Baton Spooge is a dump. Education and value of an LSU degree? Don't make me laugh. I can see how a Florida kid could be drawn to Alabama because they are a dominant program that competes for national titles on a yearly basis. I can see how a Louisiana kid could be attracted to LSU since that is the school there. What I can't fathom is how a Florida kid like Patrick Surtain Jr with his pick of any university in the country could be attracted to LSU. The kid could go to Miami, FSU, Clemson, Michigan, Ohio St, Alabama, USC etc..... literally anywhere but he is all in on LSU? Makes no sense to me.

His family is from there... surtain's dad was born in Louisiana.. only reason why they are in Florida now is because that's where surtain played in the NFL with the dolphins and they just stayed down in south florida after his career was over. Miami definitely has a chance rumph and surtain's dad are really close

Idk why y'all keep penciling in Russell from carol city in this class. Elite ballers only

Cb
Blades
Campbell
Dj Ivey
Surtain or someone else*

Combo fs/cb
Josh jobe

Safety
Frierson
Hall

This is what our db backfield should look like in this class

For LB, get me Yasir Abdullah. That kid's a beast.

Does anyone worry this kid might be a tweener like Wilder was. I don't know if we can afford taking another guy like Wilder we need some true LBs.

How is he a tweener? He weighs 195 lbs and has Jermaine Grace type speed.

Once he adds 15-20 lbs, he's the perfect fit for OLB in this defense.

Just because Carol City chooses to use him at DE doesn't make him a tweener

definitely want Silvera in this class. That dude is going to be our replacement for Norton eventually. Need one of the bigger DT's that can easily cary 300+ lbs as opposed to solely the smaller DE type DTs....not that I don't love having those guys. ultimately after Norton and Moten leave, and with Jenkins already gone, we don't have really anyone that can fill that need as of right now; only Fines.
If Norton and McIntosh were both to leave, we'd have to rely on Willis (natural 3tech) staying or Fines to play that 1 tech as of today.

Advertisement
Back