2018 Recruiting

As long as the school gets off fairly easy, then the cruits will come back around. We bout to have a pretty good season.

Advertisement
eric ayala announces tonight at 5. We are one of three schools anyone got the scoop?

Ayala is announcing Saturday afternoon. He’s down to Oregon, Maryland and us.

Devon Dotson is announcing Friday and took his final official to Maryland on Wednesday. Still, I’d be surprised to see DD not wind up at Kansas. But, if he somehow picks Maryland that would affect Ayala I would think. Oregon needs guards too but are still in it for RJ Barrett, Luguentz Dort and Will Richardson.

The whole FBI investigation has basically killed our recruiting. Jules Bernard picked UCLA and our chances to land a guard, let alone a recruit, are what they are. That being said, if we get Ayala somehow, that might indicate that things are getting better or that Ayala likes the program enough to overlook the noise.

Question for Charlie, does basketball have a rule similar to football about how many kids you can sign each year? Would Miami consider signing nobody this year, and then shoot for a Fab Five in 2018?

Advertisement
Question for Charlie, does basketball have a rule similar to football about how many kids you can sign each year? Would Miami consider signing nobody this year, and then shoot for a Fab Five in 2018?

It doesn't seem like there is a limit on how many you can sign (Duke signed 7 in 2017), but I don't know about not signing anyone this year.

Honestly, wouldn't it probably be best just to go after graduate transfers if the top recruits don't change their mind?

We were recruiting at a high level before this. No need to take 2 or 3 stars. Regroup and focus on the next class, it sucks but that is the way I see it.

Honestly, wouldn't it probably be best just to go after graduate transfers if the top recruits don't change their mind?

We were recruiting at a high level before this. No need to take 2 or 3 stars. Regroup and focus on the next class, it sucks but that is the way I see it.

Yeah would be better to have one ****** year with some last second grad transfers than filling 3+ spots with ****** players for the next 4 years.

It doesn't seem like there is a limit on how many you can sign (Duke signed 7 in 2017), but I don't know about not signing anyone this year.

We could go that route, but we'd be awfully thin next year.

Advertisement

Good question. Kentucky seems to sign a ton each year with how many go pro.

Man, those allegations did a number on us...hopefully we get Ayala and some transfers

Advertisement
Well we got Miles Wilson. He'll be eligible next year. If we can get 1 more player that would be cool but our team is really young so if he's the only guy we get, we can just focus on getting Vernon Carey jr the next year.

ORI I don't believe there is a limit, we've brought in 4-5 kids in a class and with only 13 scholarships it really comes down to managing your open slots. South Carolina over signs all the time and then tells kids to kick rocks. So much love for Frank Martin yet he is constantly showing kids the door.

Well we got Miles Wilson. He'll be eligible next year. If we can get 1 more player that would be cool but our team is really young so if he's the only guy we get, we can just focus on getting Vernon Carey jr the next year.

The 18-19 squad currently looks like:

Wilson - So. or Jr?
Gak - So.
Lykes - So.
Waadrenburg - So.
Huell - Jr
Miller - Jr.
DJ - Jr.
Amp - Sr.
Izundu - Sr.

Newton graduates after this year. I'm not including Brown and Walker in the above because they are more than likely NBA bound. After excluding them, that only leaves us with 9 scholarship players for next season. If we can't sign any decent high school kids in this class due to the FBI probe, we have to look at getting at least 1 or even 2 transfers for depth purposes. You can't go into a season with only 9 scholarship players, especially with only 3 guards.

Advertisement
Although unlikely, unfortunate and unexpected, this is one of the many reasons you don’t save scholarships. Two years in a row we saved a scholarship. Use them all, even on a filler (low quality grad transfer like Thomas).

As it stands right now, going into the next season (2018-19):

- We have one open ship not being used
- Newton is gone
- Brown could be gone
- Walker could be gone
- Huell could be gone (not saying likely, just could)

My guess is at least 4 will be gone. We could also lose a kid via transfer, you never know. We should not use all 4 scholarships on 2018 HS Seniors. At most, I would use 2. Assuming we have 4 open scholarships (Unused One, Newton, Brown and Walker), I would do the following:

- (1) 2018 HS Senior PG
- (1) 2018 HS Senior SG/SF
- (1) 2018 JUCO / Immediately Eligible Transfer Guard
- (1) 2018 Transfer Not Eligible

Last edited:
JUCO is an option though it's very hard to get them admitted academically. Need to aggressively work the grad transfer market and hope there are a couple of HS seniors looking to sign in the spring for us to target.

The worst part about this is that there's no chance this is wrapped up this year with any hopes of salvaging this recruiting class. All of our recruiting momentum is gone.

L and his lawyer can say all the right things in the media, but without an official all-clear from the FBI it's really empty words to recruits and their parents.

Advertisement
Back