2018 Recruiting

Heartening to hear some actual names visiting other than McGusty. The departure of Lonnie and Bruce being official should have a positive effect on recruiting -- with all that PT now up for grabs. What transfers want to hear!

Advertisement
Showing some interest in Dion Wiley from Maryland. Grad transfer so would be able to play right away. Averaged 6 ppg as a part-time starter last year

Showing some interest in Dion Wiley from Maryland. Grad transfer so would be able to play right away. Averaged 6 ppg as a part-time starter last year
Living in Maryland, I've seen him play a lot, and he'd be a great pickup. One of the best players (Lamar Butler) on Coach L's GMU Final Four team was from same hometown (Oxon Hill, MD) as Wiley.

AS A REDSHIRT JUNIOR (2017-18): Appeared in 28 games making a career-best 16 starts…averaged 5.8 points and 1.8 rebounds…finished with career-high 36 three-pointers, shooting .367 from three-point range…Tied season-high with 13 points, while grabbing three rebounds and two assists vs. Northwestern (2/19)…Posted 10 points, five rebounds and four assists against Northwestern (2/11)…Finished with eight points and two threes made in back-to-back games against Indiana (1/22) and #6 Michigan State (1/28)…Scored 10 points on 4-for-5 shooting against Iowa (1/7)…Recorded career-high four assists along with nine points against New Mexico (11/25)…Posted 11 points on 4-7 shooting performance vs. Butler (11/15)…Scored 13 points on 5-8 shooting night vs. UMES (11/12).

Does he have to sit out, or is he eligible to play this year?

It is unclear. Last year was his 4th season/year at FGCU. That doesn't mean he graduated or graduates in May/Summer.

Perhaps, if he doesn't graduate, he can get a waiver (to be closer to home) since it would be his 5th year (next season). This assumes he doesn't graduate in May/Summer.

Advertisement
It is unclear. Last year was his 4th season/year at FGCU. That doesn't mean he graduated or graduates in May/Summer.

Perhaps, if he doesn't graduate, he can get a waiver (to be closer to home) since it would be his 5th year (next season). This assumes he doesn't graduate in May/Summer.

Johnson? He's a grad transfer and eligible next year.

Johnson? He's a grad transfer and eligible next year.

Where did it say that? This article had some interesting quotes:

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sp...r-zach-johnson-others-leaving-fgcu/478790002/

If he completes quite a bit of summer course work, the 6-1 Johnson whose 16.1-point average trailed only Goodwin last season, Johnson could play another season with another team next season as a graduate transfer.

"We've given Zach permission to talk to other schools at this point," Kavanagh said. "He's still in the element of if he wants to be a graduate transfer, he has to graduate first. That's where there's a second layer to it."

Kavanagh said Johnson came into Alico Arena last week to "find out how the (graduate transfer) rule worked and what opportunities and options he has." Kavanagh told him to take care of his grades and if he is able to graduate during the summer, "he would have other opportunities, and we would hope that he would stay, but he would have earned those other opportunities."

Last edited:
Living in Maryland, I've seen him play a lot, and he'd be a great pickup. One of the best players (Lamar Butler) on Coach L's GMU Final Four team was from same hometown (Oxon Hill, MD) as Wiley.

AS A REDSHIRT JUNIOR (2017-18): Appeared in 28 games making a career-best 16 starts…averaged 5.8 points and 1.8 rebounds…finished with career-high 36 three-pointers, shooting .367 from three-point range…Tied season-high with 13 points, while grabbing three rebounds and two assists vs. Northwestern (2/19)…Posted 10 points, five rebounds and four assists against Northwestern (2/11)…Finished with eight points and two threes made in back-to-back games against Indiana (1/22) and #6 Michigan State (1/28)…Scored 10 points on 4-for-5 shooting against Iowa (1/7)…Recorded career-high four assists along with nine points against New Mexico (11/25)…Posted 11 points on 4-7 shooting performance vs. Butler (11/15)…Scored 13 points on 5-8 shooting night vs. UMES (11/12).
A great pickup in the sense that he'd be another body to fill out the roster. 6 points a game? Whatever.

A great pickup in the sense that he'd be another body to fill out the roster. 6 points a game? Whatever.

We could do much better. I would ONLY take him to avoid a 3rd straight season of leaving a scholarship open. But we can do much better.

Advertisement
Consider the level of competition some of these xsfers played. Not saying they aren't better players but ... Wiley faced Big 10 competition. VERY different going up against an Izzo or Beilein defense and some team from the Atlantic Sun or other mid-major conference. Wiley, believe me, can hit the 3 ball and is used to playing in front of 17,000 hostile fans and against Top 10 teams. I'd take the FGCU kid over Wiley but ... just saying.

Consider the level of competition some of these xsfers played. Not saying they aren't better players but ... Wiley faced Big 10 competition. VERY different going up against an Izzo or Beilein defense and some team from the Atlantic Sun or other mid-major conference. Wiley, believe me, can hit the 3 ball and is used to playing in front of 17,000 hostile fans and against Top 10 teams. I'd take the FGCU kid over Wiley but ... just saying.

And we need someone who can actually play quality burn and actual minutes and Wiley didn’t do that against worse competition.

Obviously if Wiley or nothing...

Robert Morris sophomore Dachon Burke (17.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg) told ESPN he has already heard from St. John’s, Wichita State, Miami, Nevada and St. Bonaventure. Just got his release yesterday.

Per Goodman

Seems like business is picking up

And we need someone who can actually play quality burn and actual minutes and Wiley didn’t do that against worse competition.

Obviously if Wiley or nothing...
If it's Wiley or nothing .... we're in huge trouble. With the cloud lifted, Coach L should be able to bring in better options than Dion. Hopefully, he's no better than a third guy we'd sign.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We have 4 open scholarships and little hope to add a HS recruit.'

You absolutely take a kid like that. We need bodies

We need guys that can actually play quality minutes. At this point, we can get much better than him. Again, if at the end, it is him or nothing, I’d go with him.

McGusty, Mack, Johnson, T. Smith and Burke are all better options (these are some of the guys we’re allegedly on). In fact, I don’t understand why we’re not going over Alvarez (2018 HS Local Recruit). I’d rather have him Wiley.

I also understand he is here for only one year but again, I would rather have someone else at this juncture.

So agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Coach is probably looking at what a Wiley might do next season (with multiple Big 10 seasons behind him) as opposed to a true freshman who may need a year or so to get settled in.

Robert Morris sophomore Dachon Burke (17.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg) told ESPN he has already heard from St. John’s, Wichita State, Miami, Nevada and St. Bonaventure. Just got his release yesterday.

Per Goodman

Seems like business is picking up
Burke just signed with Nebraska.

Advertisement
Back