2018 Pass Rush

Let’s think a little before we claim to have 3 first round picks on dline. I’m trying to remember when we had 3 at the same time. We had so many greats it seems we should have. I got Jerome Brown and Maryland in 86, but I don’t think there was a third. Stubbs went in 2nd I think. Tez, RIP, came in the next year I think. Maybe the great team butch left us? Anyway, when we have 3 first round picks on our dline, we will know it. Right now we have forgotten what one looks like.
"first round talent", among other hyperbolic statements gets thrown around here like people don't actually know what the combination of words mean.

Advertisement
Saw a couple of "way too early" mock drafts for next year that had Joe Jackson going in the first round.

Think Garvin is as talented a freshman as I've seen here on the D-line in a long, long time. He had speed and power coming off the edge last year I felt was even better than JJ's

Jury is still out on Willis, havent seen him play nearly enough to know how good he really is.

So don't think it's a stretch to say we have three guys with first round talent, but all of them still have a ton to prove.

Last edited:
C-OSVaFXsAAPsca.jpg

Advertisement
Defense should be great and I agree with OP that the pass rush should be the best it’s been in 20 years. The only concern I have is at nose where that dummy would’ve helped solidify the defense as a legit championship D.

2018 pass rush - do we see a difference in the holding calls or do we basically get none like 2017? If the holding calls are made, we improve!

I think the pass rush will be better (hopefully that means less blitzing) but I don't see the run stoppers up front that we had last season. Norton, Moten, Thomas and Toolbox were all very good against the run. Right now it looks like they've got a lot of guys who can get up field and into backfields but not a bunch of guys who can hold up at the point. Everybody loves sacks and tfls but there's so much more that goes into stopping the run besides shooting gaps.

I actually think the infusion of twitchy, long athletes will have a real impact(a positive one) on this defense. IMO, secondary/LB speed wasn't that great last year by UM standards and while most of these 1st and 2nd year players aren't going to start they will have specific roles and make an impact...

and nowadays with the tempo of many offense, you better have a rotation where you have the luxury of playing 18, 19 guys consistently. I finally see where the drop off from the first unit to the second unit isnt that great athletically( or at least that's my opinion/hope)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the pass rush will be better (hopefully that means less blitzing) but I don't see the run stoppers up front that we had last season. Norton, Moten, Thomas and Toolbox were all very good against the run. Right now it looks like they've got a lot of guys who can get up field and into backfields but not a bunch of guys who can hold up at the point. Everybody loves sacks and tfls but there's so much more that goes into stopping the run besides shooting gaps.

Agree with this. Pass rush should be more explosive with Garvin, and Jackson but I expect the run defense to take a step back. It's one thing to unleash these guys on passing downs, its another thing to ask them to hold the point of attack in the run game and still keep that explosiveness on passing downs.

Looking at our D-Line, I actually think that this years team will be even better. Jackson and Garvin with an extra year of training will be better than CT9 and Trent Harris who had a lot of pass rush attempts. Rousseau- if the spring is any indication should be as good or better than Garvins freshman year. On the j terror Willis, Bethel and Silvera actually may have more pass rush upside than McIntosh and Norton.

While we will miss them because of their experience, I feel that this years unit will be more productive.
That is a very real possibility.

What's the scoop on the dline grad transfer from Illinois? Tito somebody..
Wasn't he the dude who chucked the flag back at the ref last year?

Watching the Spring Game - the run D looked stout. I think the Striker position will really help us against spread teams. Also I saw a big improvement from Shaq and Pink on run fits. The depth at LB is better with Steed and Jennings so there won’t be as big of a drop off when they’re in. DJax and JJ will be strong against the run in base D.

Advertisement
Top 5 DE: Joe Jackson
Top 5 DT: Gerald Willis
Top 5 LB: Shaq
Top 5 Corner: Michael Jackson
Top 5 Safety: Johnson

The defense is loaded with talent
Love Willis but he ain't a top 5 DT in country and has shown nothing to prove it. He may very well be after this season but that's a very bold statement.

Let’s think a little before we claim to have 3 first round picks on dline. I’m trying to remember when we had 3 at the same time. We had so many greats it seems we should have. I got Jerome Brown and Maryland in 86, but I don’t think there was a third. Stubbs went in 2nd I think. Tez, RIP, came in the next year I think. Maybe the great team butch left us? Anyway, when we have 3 first round picks on our dline, we will know it. Right now we have forgotten what one looks like.

Don't have to think back that far:
2001-2002

2004 1st Rd Vince Wilfork (2001-02)
2003 1st Rd Jerome McDougle (2001-02)
2003 1st Rd William Joseph (1999-02)

2003 3rd Rd Andrew Williams (2001-02)
2003 4th Rd Jamaal Green (1999-02)
2003 5th Rd Matt Walters (1999-02)
2000 1st Rd Damione Lewis (1997-2000)

1995 1st Rd Warren Sapp (1992-94)

1995 2nd Rd Patrick Riley (1991-94)
1997 1st Rd Kenard Lang (1994-96)
1997 1st Rd Kenny Holmes (1993-96)

1986, 1988
1991 1st Rd Russell Maryland (1986-90)

1991 2nd Rd Shane Curry (1988-90)
1990 1st Rd Cortez Kennedy (1988-89)
1990 3rd Rd Jimmie Jones (1986-89)
1990 3rd Rd Willis Peguese (1986-89)
1990 3rd Rd Greg Mark (1986-89)
1989 1st Rd Bill Hawkins (1985-88)
1988 2nd Rd Danny Stubbs (1984-87)
1987 1st Rd Jerome Brown (1983-86)
1987 3rd Rd Dan Sileo (1986)

I love our defense everywhere. Derrick Smith is the most intriguing piece to me. I think he’s going to be a true fan favorite when his time is up here. Major steal.

That entire striker position group was a brilliant move by Manny; to use what you have and get the best players on the field... Theses guys are gonna play fast and free.

Advertisement
Our front line DL will be the best in the country. 3 first round talents with Garvin, Jackson, and Willis (although Willis' personal issues probably won't do him any favors come draft time). Ford the most physically impressive of them all. We've got solid depth at DT with Willis and veteran Tito behind them, both of whom have logged huge minutes. Plus D Jackson, Patchan, and FR sensation Rousseau at DE.

By November, we're going to be adding Silvera and Miller into the mix as well, just when we'll need them the most.
I love our line especially our ends. But Clemson is sitting on 3 1st rounders.
With that said I do think Joe and Garvin are prototype DEs and could go 1st round.

2018 pass rush - do we see a difference in the holding calls or do we basically get none like 2017? If the holding calls are made, we improve!

It's literally not possible for it to get any worse because I think there were only a handful of holding calls made all season even though the DL were being held on almost every play. So, if we even get 10 holding calls this season it will be an improvement.

It's literally not possible for it to get any worse because I think there were only a handful of holding calls made all season even though the DL were being held on almost every play. So, if we even get 10 holding calls this season it will be an improvement.
There were 5 accepted holding penalties called on opposing offenses last season. 3 regular season, and 1 each against Clemson and Wisconsin. 10 would be a 100% improvement.

Advertisement
Back