2018 Pass Rush

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
Looking at our D-Line, I actually think that this years team will be even better. Jackson and Garvin with an extra year of training will be better than CT9 and Trent Harris who had a lot of pass rush attempts. Rousseau- if the spring is any indication should be as good or better than Garvins freshman year. On the j terror Willis, Bethel and Silvera actually may have more pass rush upside than McIntosh and Norton.

While we will miss them because of their experience, I feel that this years unit will be more productive.

Advertisement
Looking at our D-Line, I actually think that this years team will be even better. Jackson and Garvin with an extra year of training will be better than CT9 and Trent Harris who had a lot of pass rush attempts. Rousseau- if the spring is any indication should be as good or better than Garvins freshman year. On the j terror Willis, Bethel and Silvera actually may have more pass rush upside than McIntosh and Norton.

While we will miss them because of their experience, I feel that this years unit will be more productive.

Chad and Norton will be missed against the run.. we need the line to step up in that regards.. Good thing in the spring game we did just that

We might have the best defense in the country.
I love your optimism but something tells me you are being sarcastic. I'm a realist. I think our defense will be sufficient to dominate at times but I highly doubt BEST will be used to describe it. All I want is consistency and max effort. If we see that from this unit we will all be quite happy. JMO

Our front line DL will be the best in the country. 3 first round talents with Garvin, Jackson, and Willis (although Willis' personal issues probably won't do him any favors come draft time). Ford the most physically impressive of them all. We've got solid depth at DT with Willis and veteran Tito behind them, both of whom have logged huge minutes. Plus D Jackson, Patchan, and FR sensation Rousseau at DE.

By November, we're going to be adding Silvera and Miller into the mix as well, just when we'll need them the most.

Advertisement

If our guys stay healthy, we can be as good as last year. We don't have quite the depth of last year, so avoiding injuries will be key.

Really think youre selling Toolbox Trent short. He cleaned up alot of messes and I think we will miss him more than anyone else on the defensive side.

I agree everyone is talking about RJ and Norton. But we're really really gonna miss Trent and Thomas, even moreso. We don't have anyone besides Dem Jackson to replace Thomas' skillset and Trent was 100% reliable. You don't easily replace these talents.

In fact if you gave me a choice, i'd rather have Thomas (or Trent) back over one of those DTs. That would put Patchan and Rousseau into 3rd string and cleanup duty, which is perfect for both Patchan's injury history and Rousseau's youth.

Trent, J Jackson, Garvin, and D Jackson to rotate. Patchan and Rousseau to clean up. This would be the best DE rotation in the country bar none.

Trent had a good year, but I think that Jackson will be better taking some of his reps. Athletically Trent and Chad were not that great. Chad was great at setting the edge and I’m hoping DJax can do that this year. Garvin and Jackson are freaks - the kind of players we need to keep bringing in for depth.

Advertisement
Yeah but one of the DT's get nicked up and we are in a world of hurt, we will end up putting Patchan and Jackson into the rotation at DT.

We will be OK, but the lack of depth is not how you want to go into the season.

I love our defense everywhere. Derrick Smith is the most intriguing piece to me. I think he’s going to be a true fan favorite when his time is up here. Major steal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We will miss Major 9, Chad set the edge for this DLine against the run game, didn't always get a bunch of Sacks but was very disruptive in his pressures. His IQ & experience will be missed on the Defense.

With that said, if Roussea continues to develop under Coach Simpson he could be that X factor that gives another matchup nightmare coming off the edge.

JJack, Garvin, DJack (when healthy), Patchan (if he stays healthy) Willis & Bethel are proven guys who can get it done getting after the QB. What we need is for Ford to take that next step (which he will imo), for Tito to be of service contributing whatever he can & for Silvera to be ready to go despite not being an EE (which I believe he will). As far as Miller & Tyreic Martin, anything we get out of them this year is a plus.

I have faith that Coach Simpson will get these boys to maximize their potential, I wish RJ & Nort woulda came back their Senior year, but we can still be productive without them.

I think you guys forget how good DJaxx is. Guy was leading the team in sacks before he got hurt if I'm not mistaken.

Guys get hurt. Its guaranteed. Lack of experienced depth is an issue at DT. Not to mention we are heavily counting on a RSr who sat out two seasons and has questionable mental stability. I hope he can channel those demons to consistently be the beast that he is advertised to be and our 1-2 yr players step up, but I am legitimantly concerned here.

I love your optimism but something tells me you are being sarcastic. I'm a realist. I think our defense will be sufficient to dominate at times but I highly doubt BEST will be used to describe it. All I want is consistency and max effort. If we see that from this unit we will all be quite happy. JMO
Top 5 DE: Joe Jackson
Top 5 DT: Gerald Willis
Top 5 LB: Shaq
Top 5 Corner: Michael Jackson
Top 5 Safety: Johnson

The defense is loaded with talent

Our front line DL will be the best in the country. 3 first round talents with Garvin, Jackson, and Willis (although Willis' personal issues probably won't do him any favors come draft time). Ford the most physically impressive of them all. We've got solid depth at DT with Willis and veteran Tito behind them, both of whom have logged huge minutes. Plus D Jackson, Patchan, and FR sensation Rousseau at DE.

By November, we're going to be adding Silvera and Miller into the mix as well, just when we'll need them the most.
Let’s think a little before we claim to have 3 first round picks on dline. I’m trying to remember when we had 3 at the same time. We had so many greats it seems we should have. I got Jerome Brown and Maryland in 86, but I don’t think there was a third. Stubbs went in 2nd I think. Tez, RIP, came in the next year I think. Maybe the great team butch left us? Anyway, when we have 3 first round picks on our dline, we will know it. Right now we have forgotten what one looks like.

Advertisement
Back