2018 MLB Draft Thread

Advertisement
This is an interesting one:
26 773 -- Pineda, Leudeny ASA College Miami RHS R/R JC J1 -- 6' 1 205lbs DOB: 01/29/96

Anyone know what ASA College Miami is? Never heard of it.

Its a junior college located in a strip mall near Bokampers.

Seriously.

The draft is officially done. A little disappointed we didn't get Davis, but from a recruiting class standpoint the draft went about as well as could be hoped. We'll have to see what Reyes (and to a lesser extent Gonzalez and Cabezas) decide.

Assuming we can get Cecconi and Del Castillo to campus, seems like a good class on paper (although still seems a little light on offense potential).

Hopefully Veliz can find his control and stay healthy. Reyes should come back.

I'll do an article on the recruits once we see who is coming to school and who is signing, but for the most part it's a solid class. We weren't going to spend a lot of resources on offensive recruiting since we have so many position players coming back, but first glance feels like we are one arm short from the right-side and one left-handed power bat short offensively.

Still time to add a couple of recruits this summer depending on what current rosters players decide (i.e. transferring or not) and what the drafted players decide.

Advertisement
Six Canes selected in 2018 MLB draft

Gonzalez and Cabezas are set to sign immediately. Bartow and Reyes say they haven’t decided.

Great work as usual by Josh White. Definitely one of the more dedicated and plugged in WVUM broadcasters in recent years.

Good stuff - I'm impressed w the timeliness of his information and the reactions from the players. The MSM could learn a thing or two.

Every team pretty much knows what kids will sign for in the top 10 rounds. They are not taking a player that wont sign. If they pick the player in top 10 rounds there is usually some sort of agreement. Now sometimes kids back out (Gerrit Cole and yankees) or medicals change things but teams wont mess with their bonus $.

Exactly what I said. Like, literally, exactly what I said.

Advertisement
“It feels surreal,” Reyes said. “You work your entire life for this one day. Just to get an opportunity to get to play professional baseball and live out your dream is a blessing. It feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.”

So we have all these players drafted but still can't beat FAU...

FAU had as many players drafted as we did, and they were generally earlier than our players. So yes, we are behind FAU talent wise. Even Miami Dade CC had 5 players drafted. This draft doesn't reflect that we had much veteran talent on our roster.

Last edited:
FAU had more players drafted than we did, and they were generally earlier than our players. So yes, we are behind FAU talent wise.

I agree FAU is talented but I don't think we can only look at draft picks as a talent indicator. We had 6 freshman starting and those guys can't get drafted for 2 more years. I think we can agree that FAU does a very good job identifying talent and developing their guys. They have a very good program.

Advertisement
I agree FAU is talented but I don't think we can only look at draft picks as a talent indicator. We had 6 freshman starting and those guys can't get drafted for 2 more years. I think we can agree that FAU does a very good job identifying talent and developing their guys. They have a very good program.

I agree that the draft isn't the only lens I'd use to determine our talent level relative to FAU. I'd say the fact that we went 0-3 against them this year is an even better indicator that at the moment, their program has surpassed ours.

I'd say the fact that we went 0-3 against them this year is an even better indicator that at the moment, their program has surpassed ours.

A moment, in the context of a program, is called a team.

If you do this silly song and dance every year where every team that won a series or made the regional is a better program than your analysis will become meaningless.

A moment, in the context of a program, is called a team.

If you do this silly song and dance every year where every team that won a series or made the regional is a better program than your analysis will become meaningless.

It's not just a series. They fared better in the draft as well. And had much better records than us the last two years, to go with an entrenched coach who is improving their program. At the least I'd say they have equaled us at this point. I'm a glass half full guy, but this isn't really acceptable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back