2018 MLB Draft Thread

Advertisement
Now we wait to see where Reyes slots in. Really no clue on that one. It wouldn't surprise me if we went in the early 20s, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get drafted.

Fingers crossed on Bargfeldt getting a shot. Like I said last year, if injury prone fellow soft tossing lefty Eric Erickson could get drafted....

Advertisement
Even in the fourth or fifth round? What round would a senior have to be taken in, per the rules, to be assured a decent bonus then?
Probably the 5th or 6th round before teams are explicitly making senior discount picks. That's probably also the point when their fear of losing the total slot value of the pick from their bonus pool is closer to your fear of not getting signed.

Probably the 5th or 6th round before teams are explicitly making senior discount picks. That's probably also the point when their fear of losing the total slot value of the pick from their bonus pool is closer to your fear of not getting signed.

That makes sense if I understand it - so they lose that slot value from their pool if they don't sign a kid selected in those high rounds?

Advertisement
Who cares if any of the juniors sign? None of these guys are Miami caliber players.

Based on the '18 team's performance, I can see making that generalization. That said, I'd take Cabezas or Bartow back, and Romy was a Cape Cod All Star - just have to think there is untapped potential there with the bat.

It'd be up to him and Gino (or new hitting coach?) to fix whatever went wrong this year.

But I also expect all of them to sign, so it's likely a moot point.

Assuming the rotation is some combo of McKendry, McMahon, Veliz, and Gates/Cecconi that should leave Federman and Keysor to come out of the bullpen as the main RHPs. McKendry,McMahon, Veliz, or Cecconi could also fill that role if Federman or Keysor ends up in the rotation. A healthy Maury is also a wildcard in the mix. Have to get Veliz and Keysor through today of course.

I'm not that high on Keysor. Think he's just a serviceable arm. I do not believe you have anything to worry about with the draft on him. Yes, you have Federman to fill a bullpen swing role (or closer) but you really need at least two other righty arms. Keysor is probably one of them, then you need another guy to step up.

The rotation is great on paper, so it's a smaller worry, but we need the coaching staff to develop someone. Perhaps Maury is the guy that fills that role.

Advertisement
Given that Bartow went a little higher than I would expect and the lead time between Days 2 and 3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals had a pretty good idea of what number he would accept.

Every single team knows what it'll take to sign every player they draft. That's how it works. They always talk to their representative ahead of time and the scouts put a dollar value on every player they turn in.

Players with a favorable report get cross-checked by an area scout, who turns it into his national cross-checker. The national cross-checker decides whether to check him based on the dollar value turned in. The execs may see the first or second round picks.

After that, they contact a bunch of guys and know their bonus expectations to sign and if it's within a range they can accept they take them. Guys with major bonus demands will generally still get picked late and a team will know what it would take to sign them if they end up with more money than expected or another guy backs out on a deal and decides to go to college they'll throw some money at the later guy right before the deadline and make them turn it down.

In the 11th round they called Bartow or his reps, asked how much, he gave them a range, they said they'll take him. He's signing.

After the 15th, things get a little more 80/20 of signing. I'd expect both Romy and Cabezas sign rather quickly, but that's more educated guess based on precedence.

Every single team knows what it'll take to sign every player they draft. That's how it works. They always talk to their representative ahead of time and the scouts put a dollar value on every player they turn in.

This is absolutely not true. It is probably true for guys who are potential top ten round picks, but in the 38th round teams are taking the athletes who are available, whether they've had conversations or not. Every year you hear guys say they were drafted by a team that didn't show any interest leading up to the draft.

That makes sense if I understand it - so they lose that slot value from their pool if they don't sign a kid selected in those high rounds?
The team loses the slot value of any pick they can't sign in the Top 10 rounds. The Astros screwed that up massively when they couldn't get Brady Aiken to sign at the post-draft physical injury discount they wanted with the first pick, and ended up unable to sign a couple other kids.

Advertisement
This is absolutely not true. It is probably true for guys who are potential top ten round picks, but in the 38th round teams are taking the athletes who are available, whether they've had conversations or not. Every year you hear guys say they were drafted by a team that didn't show any interest leading up to the draft.

Lance is 100% accurate. Maybe you are talking about senior signs or late round guys, but any pick with financial meaning (100k or more), the player or agent is contacted prior to the selection. 100% of the time.

This is an interesting one:
26 773 -- Pineda, Leudeny ASA College Miami RHS R/R JC J1 -- 6' 1 205lbs DOB: 01/29/96

Anyone know what ASA College Miami is? Never heard of it.

Advertisement
Back