2018 MLB Draft Thread

Lance is 100% accurate. Maybe you are talking about senior signs or late round guys, but any pick with financial meaning (100k or more), the player or agent is contacted prior to the selection. 100% of the time.

Except that’s not what he wrote. He wrote that they know the number for every guy they draft. That is not true. The truth, which is what I wrote and what you agreed with, is that they know the number for guys who are going to cost some money. They don’t know the number for the project they draft in the last round.

Advertisement
“Every single team knows what it'll take to sign every player they draft.”

Factually inaccurate.

“Every single team knows what it'll take to sign every player they draft.”

Factually inaccurate.

Every team pretty much knows what kids will sign for in the top 10 rounds. They are not taking a player that wont sign. If they pick the player in top 10 rounds there is usually some sort of agreement. Now sometimes kids back out (Gerrit Cole and yankees) or medicals change things but teams wont mess with their bonus $.

The late round/senior guys are filler players on the rookie rosters.
Except that’s not what he wrote. He wrote that they know the number for every guy they draft. That is not true. The truth, which is what I wrote and what you agreed with, is that they know the number for guys who are going to cost some money. They don’t know the number for the project they draft in the last round.

There is no "number" for the late round guys. They either sign for the minimum or they don't. If they choose not to sign, then that team can sign more free agents after the draft is over to fill out Rookie League/Low A rosters.

Lance's point was that the Nationals would not draft Bartow in the 11th round unless they knew how much he would sign for. Same for Cabezas. Same for Romy.

Advertisement
This is an interesting one:
26 773 -- Pineda, Leudeny ASA College Miami RHS R/R JC J1 -- 6' 1 205lbs DOB: 01/29/96

Anyone know what ASA College Miami is? Never heard of it.

It's a newer JUCO in Miami. They have a football program too.

Looking through the media guide, our last Junior not to sign in the 20th round or better was Eric Erickson in the 20th in 2009. The highest more recently was Ruiz in the 28th in '15 and Radziewski in the 29th in '13. It only worked out for Radziewski who went in the 9th round the following year. Erickson was drafted in the 34th three years and multiple arm injuries later.

Advertisement
None of our signees have been picked since Brennen Davis in the 2nd. Looks like we may get some talent to campus this year. I just hope the top projected players in this years class fair better than the guys who were projected to come in hot for the 2017 class.

Advertisement
With our luck the
None of our signees have been picked since Brennen Davis in the 2nd. Looks like we may get some talent to campus this year. I just hope the top projected players in this years class fair better than the guys who were projected to come in hot for the 2017 class.
With our luck, they go the JC route.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back