2018 MLB Draft Thread

A really good (ie quiet) Day 2 of the draft is now complete. Looking great with Cecconi, Gates, and Del Castillo. While it's worth watching the latter two in rounds 11 and 12, the focus shifts to the current players. Cabezas and Gonzalez should go fairly early on Day 3 and sign. Bartow will likely go a bit later, and I would be surprised if he didn't sign. Reyes is a question mark. I feel good about Veliz coming back. Keysor (JUCO) might be worth keeping an eye on as well. Adding Cecconi, Gates, and Keysor while keeping Veliz would erase most of my concerns about next year's pitching staff.

Hopefully, Jeb will get a late call.

Did you forget about McKendry? He was arguably our best pitcher this year.

Advertisement
Did you forget about McKendry? He was arguably our best pitcher this year.
Nope. I’ve got him mentally penciled into the Friday spot (especially if he can stop throwing pickoff attempts into the outfield). Those are just guys who are draft eligible.

Nope. I’ve got him mentally penciled into the Friday spot (especially if he can stop throwing pickoff attempts into the outfield). Those are just guys who are draft eligible.

Awesome, man the more I look at it, this team next year could be pretty **** good. We obviously need all the freshman this year to take a step up; especially Toral. I think he'll have a bounce back Sophomore season.

10 rounds in and both FSU and UF have had five players drafted while 9 players have already been drafted from lesser programs in the state, and we don't have a single Cane that a MLB team feels is worth investing in yet. It's fair to say we've been deficient in talent. The 14-16 classes just weren't good enough, and the jury is still out on last years class. Let's hope we get the top undrafted talent left in this class on campus.

10 rounds in and both FSU and UF have had five players drafted while 9 players have already been drafted from lesser programs in the state, and we don't have a single Cane that a MLB team feels is worth investing in yet. It's fair to say we've been deficient in talent. The 14-16 classes just weren't good enough, and the jury is still out on last years class. Let's hope we get the top undrafted talent left in this class on campus.

I've been told that it's all because we lost Kep Brown.

Advertisement
In a surprise, Bartow is the first Cane off the board at 341 to the Nationals.

Advertisement
Bartow will leave at that draft spot. That stings, honestly. We are going to be completely overhauling that bullpen right now and I'm pretty interested in what they're going to do from the right side as I'm not a huge fan of the right-handed pitching recruits outside of Cecconi.

Bartow will leave at that draft spot. That stings, honestly. We are going to be completely overhauling that bullpen right now and I'm pretty interested in what they're going to do from the right side as I'm not a huge fan of the right-handed pitching recruits outside of Cecconi.
Assuming the rotation is some combo of McKendry, McMahon, Veliz, and Gates/Cecconi that should leave Federman and Keysor to come out of the bullpen as the main RHPs. McKendry,McMahon, Veliz, or Cecconi could also fill that role if Federman or Keysor ends up in the rotation. A healthy Maury is also a wildcard in the mix. Have to get Veliz and Keysor through today of course.

In a surprise, Bartow is the first Cane off the board at 341 to the Nationals.

He did touch 96 on the radar gun at the ACC tournament. Good luck to him, but I still hope he comes back.

He needs to develop a better change-up and more movement on his fastball. He could get top 10 round money if he did that, senior or not. With the money MLB throws at free agents who are very high risk investments, a few hundred thousand on a mid 90's fastball is not a big investment.

He did touch 96 on the radar gun at the ACC tournament. Good luck to him, but I still hope he comes back.

He needs to develop a better change-up and more movement on his fastball. He could get top 10 round money if he did that, senior or not. With the money MLB throws at free agents who are very high risk investments, a few hundred thousand on a mid 90's fastball is not a big investment.

College Juniors get 100,000 or more where Bartow got drafted. College seniors get 2,000-5,000 dollars and a plane ticket (unless they are a very high pick). He would be smart to take it.

Advertisement
College Juniors get 100,000 or more where Bartow got drafted. College seniors get 2,000-5,000 dollars and a plane ticket (unless they are a very high pick). He would be smart to take it.

I know that is the conventional wisdom, but there are Sr college pitchers going in the middle rounds - they have to get somoething close to slot value, don't they?

End of Round 15. I think we're starting to get into the territory where it's worth discussing whether or not Romy should return. He's got early Day 2 upside if he can put it together. With Cabezas, I think we're still in take the money and run territory.

Advertisement
Tend to agree with PGrady24 on Bartow. It's not worth the gamble that he can get into the 6th round or higher.

Given that Bartow went a little higher than I would expect and the lead time between Days 2 and 3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals had a pretty good idea of what number he would accept.

Advertisement
Back