2018 cornerbacks

jnf2257

Junior
I know we are all tired of the "next year's class" talk... but I thought this was interesting and a good sign for us bringing in a good defensive back class next year.

In 2017, there were 5 cornerbacks in the ESPN 300 from Florida.

In the 2018 class, there are 11 (!!) cornerbacks in the ESPN 300 from Florida. We already have two committed with Jobe and Frierson and essentially a third in Al Blades. I'm not counting anybody from IMG in these lists.

Yes, Rumph is going to have to recruit better. But we are off to a good start and the sheer quantity of talent down here should have everyone at least a little optimistic were going to have a great DB class. We won't be the only ones, either.

Advertisement
I think Frierson is being looked at as a safety.

I feel confident in depending on Blades and Ivey. Jobe will be a circus, so will Campbell who is very well regarded, and of course Surtain. Asante Samuel is interesting as he doesn't appear to be a take yet and doubts exist about his heigth.

How our secondary does in 2017 will have a major impact on how well we do recruiting DBs next cycle. We have some good names committed right now and a few more that are highly interested but they will be picked off if we don't give them a reason to stay.

That being said I think our DBs will eat this coming season. Basing this off of the fact that we will have a ridiculously talented front 7 next year and that bodes well for the guys in the back (even if they are young and inexperienced). Same thing happened in 2002 when we lost 3 guys to the first round. We replaced with Taylor, Rolle, and Jennings (they all became 1st rounders as well). They had an easier transition because they played behind the classic Miami front 7 that terrorizes offenses. Now that we are back to playing that style expect to see us reloading in the secondary and not rebuilding anymore.

And for all of those hating on Coach Rumph, do not sleep on this man's ability to coach. Just look at how much better our secondary was at tackling and not giving up huge plays week after week this season. The difference was night and day. If you can't see the difference you can't be helped.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Anybody following them on Twitter yet and dissecting their tweets?

We truly could have a special class in the defensive backfield if our staff can step up. And running back. And wide receiver. Legit top 5 class with the south Florida talent available. Our coaches have to take the next step if we want to get back into the national picture

Advertisement
Advertisement
Next year will be an amazing db class not just for the guys everybody knows but the handful that every year blowup in the summer so Rumph has to improve with another year of coaching to prove to recruits and cleanup.

I cut Richt a lot of slack in 2017. The only thing i really blame the staff for was not having a backup plan for McFarland. But if we can't close on 6 legitimate 4star types at CB and S in 2018, he must be put on the hot seat.

Anybody following them on Twitter yet and dissecting their tweets?

I follow all the top 2018 DBs on twitter. As far as I can tell Blades is all Cane as he should be. Frierson is the new DJ Dallas as the ambassador of recruiting. Jobe also seems to be with us, was even tweeting disappointment when Henderson finally signed with Gators.

There are a lot of top guys in Florida this year. We have a good chance with many of them but anything can change. Around this time last your CJ Henderson was committed to us. It will take work but we should get a bunch of these guys.

I cut Richt a lot of slack in 2017. The only thing i really blame the staff for was not having a backup plan for McFarland. But if we can't close on 6 legitimate 4star types at CB and S in 2018, he must be put on the hot seat.

What if he wins 11 games this year? Lol some of you guys are ridiculous.

Advertisement
Back