2018 class was an unprecedented bust (especially on offense)

2018 was looked at as a program changing type class coming off a successful year. Absolute failure in recruiting, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not a big manny fan, but this is what he's working with, these are the current seniors Richt left him with. The WR class has been beat to death with how bad it turned out. But everything except TE was a failure. The OL recruiting is maybe the most damaging aspect of this class and why we have struggled so badly the last couple of years.

The last two classes need to be the heart of this team, because these guys are not it.

10/13 on offense have either transferred or are warming up the bench as seniors.

WRs - Wiggins, Pope, Hightower, Ezzard - All busts. 2 transferred. 2 benched.
RBs - Lingard, Harris - One transfer, one average acc back
OL - Reed, Campbell, Scaife - 3 dudes who can't start on our garbage OL. Busts.
QB - Jarren w - Bust, transfer
TE - Brevin, Mallory - Brevin is one of the only players worth a **** in this class, Mallory still hasn't done much for all the hype.
FB - Realus George - transfer

Defense:
DL - Nesta, Miller, Rousseau, Joyner - Better group. Good finds in Miller and Rousseau.
LB - GIl Frierson - Needed to pick up one true LB in this class. Recruiting Failure.
S - Gurvan Hall - JAG
CB - Blades, Ivey, Bethel - 2 JAGs and a transfer

K -Baxa (LOL)
My goodness. To see them all laid out like that is depressing.

Advertisement
Mallory does suck at blocking, so don't have him at the line all the **** time.

Throw him out wide like they did with Njoku. I don't want to hear how they don't remember that or can't do it (of course they can) as Manny was here at the time.

Granted, Bama has the talent to largely negate that and literally sat their linebackers back to negate King and our backs, plus Mallory if he rolled out.

Mallory can play and I'm not going to judge him off of this game. We just need to be more creative with him and it doesn't take an X's and O's genius to do it.

Advertisement
Atleast we can see that kam and James can play. Taylor got rave reviews in camp. The receivers seem like ballers. Thad and brown we shall see. OL wait and see. Davis and Ishmael as an end class is maybe questionable. Linebackers? Does chase smith count as a backer? Etc

2021 is looking up. 2020 seems to already be making an impact. Restrepo scored our only td. Chaney seems like dude. Redding was on the field against bama. Rivers can be that guy. That was also rumphs last class. clarke Harrell dunson and then Banda with tae balom and Washington. Remains to be seen

2018 was looked at as a program changing type class coming off a successful year. Absolute failure in recruiting, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I'm not a big manny fan, but this is what he's working with, these are the current seniors Richt left him with. The WR class has been beat to death with how bad it turned out. But everything except TE was a failure. The OL recruiting is maybe the most damaging aspect of this class and why we have struggled so badly the last couple of years.

The last two classes need to be the heart of this team, because these guys are not it.

10/13 on offense have either transferred or are warming up the bench as seniors.

TE - Brevin, Mallory - Brevin is one of the only players worth a **** in this class, Mallory still hasn't done much for all the hype.

Defense:
DL - Nesta, Miller, Rousseau, Joyner - Better group. Good finds in Miller and Rousseau.
LB - GIl Frierson - Needed to pick up one true LB in this class. Recruiting Failure.
S - Gurvan Hall - JAG

K -Baxa (LOL)
Jesus Christ I wasn’t thinking about that! That whole class was a bust besides almost 3 guys! That is ****** horrible & atrocious

Advertisement

Defense:
S - Gurvan Hall - JAG

K -Baxa (LOL)
what a set back for the program

Throw him out wide like they did with Njoku. I don't want to hear how they don't remember that or can't do it (of course they can) as Manny was here at the time.

Granted, Bama has the talent to largely negate that and literally sat their linebackers back to negate King and our backs, plus Mallory if he rolled out.

Mallory can play and I'm not going to judge him off of this game. We just need to be more creative with him and it doesn't take an X's and O's genius to do it.

Ive seen plenty of below-average blocking TE's, who are used as move guys, that aren't made to play in-line like Mark Bavaro. I'd bet Mallory would thrive at a place like Oklahoma.

Advertisement
this reminds me a lot of those Erickson classes of the 90's that had for every Ray Lewis or Warren Sapp, dozens of other washouts and flat out busts..

I’m NOt sure how you blame richt when this happens every time we have a good class Or a five star, this is a lack of development that has been around for 15 years. 2008 class led to Shannon being fired, golden had good classes fall apart and be busts. This is exactly why I don’t get a rager like most fans when we have good classes, history tells me it won’t pan out

Advertisement
The problem isn’t that the class was full of busts. It’s that, at the time, it was our highest rated class in a while. It’s why you can’t have one class that’s “going to turn it all around”. You need to play the numbers game and load up every year. You can’t assume players are going to be stars and stop recruiting certain positions because you’re “set” there. It’s why I prefer how we’ve operated recently. Oh, we signed the nation’s top safety last year? Well, let’s sign the nation’s top safety this year and let them battle it out. Oh, we have three CB commits so we can shut it down? Nah, let’s see if we can sign another super blue chip corner and take it from there. We have two freshman blue chip quarterbacks already on the roster? Let’s sign another one. If guys end up transferring down the line, so be it. You can’t ASSUME that because you signed one guy, that position is set for the next three years.

It's the main reason why Manny keeps saying he wants a class full of guys who love football and love to train.
He wants guys obsessed with the game. If you just look at the effort on the off-season that the 2018 class put in, is minimal, Donaldson, after 4 years finally started working harder in the off-season after all these years.
It's the case of hard work beats talents, mind you at the highest level you have a combination of both and a culture of both. Mark Richt was bringing talent and speed, and I believe Manny is bringing in the hard work. I still believe in CMD as a HC that he can get us to a high level, just has schematic issues in my opinion, outside of that, he runs a good tight program and really has a handle on it, at least from the outside in.
He knows what hands to shake, what babies to kiss and how to coach speak and get the kids excited. I'm in no way a slurper, I just realize is crazy hard to going from good to great, its the biggest jump. From average to above average ain't that hard, its the next step that's hard.

Ive seen plenty of below-average blocking TE's, who are used as move guys, that aren't made to play in-line like Mark Bavaro. I'd bet Mallory would thrive at a place like Oklahoma.

Mallory was actually really smart when he came in and mentioned Njoku role and Brevin playing the herndon role was one of the reasons he came to miami, always felt that was a player who knew his strength and weakness and pretty self aware. Problem is that staff is gone and every coach doesnt know how to use players in certain ways.

Advertisement
Back