2018-2019 Schedule

these days it's hard to get a quality OOC opponent on the board as a stand alone. Most will do so only in a mini tournament like they play up here at MSG or Barclays. We played Providence a couple years back but could only get them to play us through that type of venue. Last year we went lighter because we had the Hawaii tourney and a young team. Let's see what else we land.

Advertisement
these days it's hard to get a quality OOC opponent on the board as a stand alone. Most will do so only in a mini tournament like they play up here at MSG or Barclays. We played Providence a couple years back but could only get them to play us through that type of venue. Last year we went lighter because we had the Hawaii tourney and a young team. Let's see what else we land.

Nobody is asking for a stand alone. You do a home and home. Somehow Gonzaga, Duke and MSU can schedule a few quality OOC teams each year. Others do it as well. It isn't that hard.

-

(As for a neutral site) Then do that.

I don't think people would mind if we played Providence or other quality teams at neutral games 1-2 times per year.

We're required to play the same crap opponent two times each year.

Don't they pair the teams based on the previous year's standings? So since we finished third in the ACC we'll play the third place team from the Big Ten? If that's the case I think it'll be Ohio State. I might be making that up though.

While I also get bored with all the crap OOC games, I can't point to a season where such scheduling came back to haunt us. The ACC is so good, the RPI (and now the quadrant business) will be respectable anyway.

Don't they pair the teams based on the previous year's standings? So since we finished third in the ACC we'll play the third place team from the Big Ten? If that's the case I think it'll be Ohio State. I might be making that up though.
My understanding has always been that the ACC-B1G Challenge's schedule was determined by several factors. The first is the projected order of finish for the upcoming season as determined by the coaches (I think). Since the order of these predictions doesn't change radically from year to year, the same teams are often paired together. The second factor is that no team has to play on the road for more than two consecutive years. Also, a school can request a change for extenuating circumstances, and, if there are teams which are participating in early season tournaments together, they won't play each other. It has been suggested by some that ESPN insists on certain matchups to increase ratings. I am a bit skeptical of this since the process creates some pretty appealing contests all on its own. Typically, the biggest complaints come from the mid tier teams, of both conferences, who want an upper tier team (or, more likely, a traditional power) to play in their arena. Last year, you may recall, Minnesota fans were upset. They thought Duke should have been visiting them, and they had no idea how good Miami would be.

Advertisement

That has nothing to do with what I am talking about. I am talking about playing a school twice in one year (like Charlotte).

While I also get bored with all the crap OOC games, I can't point to a season where such scheduling came back to haunt us. The ACC is so good, the RPI (and now the quadrant business) will be respectable anyway.

Perhaps in 14-15, losing to Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky didn’t help then. Maybe if you beat one of them, it makes a difference. It certainly didn’t look good losing to the non-NCAAT teams.

My understanding has always been that the ACC-B1G Challenge's schedule was determined by several factors. The first is the projected order of finish for the upcoming season as determined by the coaches (I think). Since the order of these predictions doesn't change radically from year to year, the same teams are often paired together. The second factor is that no team has to play on the road for more than two consecutive years. Also, a school can request a change for extenuating circumstances, and, if there are teams which are participating in early season tournaments together, they won't play each other. It has been suggested by some that ESPN insists on certain matchups to increase ratings. I am a bit skeptical of this since the process creates some pretty appealing contests all on its own. Typically, the biggest complaints come from the mid tier teams, of both conferences, who want an upper tier team (or, more likely, a traditional power) to play in their arena. Last year, you may recall, Minnesota fans were upset. They thought Duke should have been visiting them, and they had no idea how good Miami would be.

Thanks. Makes sense.

Perhaps in 14-15, losing to Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky didn’t help then. Maybe if you beat one of them, it makes a difference. It certainly didn’t look good losing to the non-NCAAT teams.

That's fair. Could be.

Advertisement
Where did you see that they're playing Yale and where are they playing them?

All Jon Rothstein does all day is tweet OOC games when he hears about them, where players are transferring and if players are staying in the draft or going back to school.

NC State-Vandy also on that day, and St. Johns-Ga Tech on another day the AAA. Why we're playing Yale? Who knows? The day is 12/1.

Just two years ago, Yale was in the NCAAT, beating Baylor in the First Round and losing to Duke by only 7 in the Round of 32.

Advertisement
All Jon Rothstein does all day is tweet OOC games when he hears about them, where players are transferring and if players are staying in the draft or going back to school.

NC State-Vandy also on that day, and St. Johns-Ga Tech on another day the AAA. Why we're playing Yale? Who knows? The day is 12/1.
Okay thanks! I live in CT so I was hoping it'd be at Yale. I know it's highly unlikely but it'd be nice someday!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back