2017 MLB Draft Thread

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Time to find out how much we're going to get screwed.
Rounds 1-2 Tonight at 7pm
Rounds 3-10 Tomorrow
Rounds 11-40 Wednesday

Draft eligible current players
Johnny Ruiz Senior
Carl Chester Junior -12th Round- 349th Pick- Rays
Edgar Michelangeli R-Senior
Chris Barr R-Senior
Michael Mediavilla Junior
Jeb Bargfeldt Junior
Hunter Tackett Junior
Daniel Epstein R-Sophomore
Alex Sanchez R-Sophomore
Michael Perez R-Junior
Barry Buchowski Senior
Cooper Hammond R-Junior
Joe Gomez Senior
Michael Burns R-Junior
Ryan Guerra Senior
Enrique Sosa R-Senior
James Davison Junior
Jesse Lepore Junior - 24th Round- 716th Pick- Rockies

Recruits (BA Rankings)
Connor Allen 1B 6-4 210 (441)
Dylan Cloonan LHP 6-2 190
Jeremy Cook LHP 6-1 190
Jeter Downs SS 6-0 180 (54)- Comp Balance Round A- 32nd Pick- Reds
William D. (Willie) Escala SS
Daniel Federman RHP 6-0 195
Emanuel Fernandez LHP 6-3 210
Raymond Gil 3B 6-2 180- 37th Round- 1101st Pick- Athletics
Tony Jenkins OF 6-1 175
Brandon Kaminer LHP 6-1 170
James Marinan RHP 6-5 220 (59)- 4th Round- 130th Pick- Dodgers
Christopher McMahon RHP 6-2 190 (77)- 33rd Round- 980th Pick- Braves
Tyler Paige SS 5-10 185
Joseph Perez 3B (99) - 2nd Round- 53rd Pick- Astros
Isaac Quinones C 5-9 175
Gabriel Rivera OF 6-0 202 (330)
Alex Ruiz 3B 6-1 195
Joseph Sparber C 6-2 210
Alejandro Toral 1B 6-2 220 (200)
Robert Touron RHP 6-2 175- 37th Round- 1097th Pick- Reds
Mark Vientos SS 6-4 190 (40)- 2nd Round- 59th Pick- Mets
Freddy Zamora SS 6-1 175

Last edited:
Advertisement
So long Jeter Downs. Drafted 32nd by the Reds. Is it just me, or do the Reds sign a lot of our players/prospects?

Maybe off topic a bit, but the braves drafted Kyle Wright..

Advertisement
Joe Perez is gone. Astros drafted him 53rd as a 3B which limits the impact of his Tommy John. Slot is $1.3 million.

Last edited:
That's it for tonight. We're through pick 75 (Comp Balance Round B). So far we're more or less at the expected level of screwed, and now in the range Marinan and McMahon would expect to be selected in. Big names to watch tomorrow are Toral and Chester. We really need Toral.

I was really hoping we would get Perez to campus, but all three of the guys drafted tonight are gone.

Teams always know the ballpark number it is going to cost to sign a guy and anyone drafted on night one will sign for the most part. Anyone who doesn't is an outlier.

Advertisement
Glad to see Jeter Downs get drafted as high as he did, wish it was to the Marlins, that kid is going to be a good prospect.

Glad to see Jeter Downs get drafted as high as he did, wish it was to the Marlins, that kid is going to be a good prospect.

Na dude, we really need pitching...I was hoping they would take a pitcher projected to be fast to the bigs with that comp pick. Lord know we need the help.

Last edited:
Advertisement
any idea on the financial situation of the 3 remaining targets??

I saw somewhere that it is becomingly likely for Toral to make it to campus. It is said he wants 1st RD $. The other two should be drafted quickly today and they are gone. Rounds 1-8 are the danger rounds and last year all but 1 player selected did not return for college.

on MLB network last night they said all but 3 from rounds 1-10 signed. I was thinking rd. 8 too but it looks like the whole day today could be trouble

Advertisement
I wonder where the first draft eligible player on the roster will get picked. I don't recall a year with fewer Canes pro prospects.

Na dude, we really need pitching...I was hoping they would take a pitcher projected to be fast to the bigs with that comp pick. Lord know we need the help.
Trevor Rogers was a **** good pick for the Marlins at 13, Lefty with some good stuff.

Peter Gammons on MLB Network said he was his favorite Pitcher in the whole draft & he would've taken him with a top pick.

I agree we need more pitching, it's just that Downs is a local kid from Pace who has great upside & will be in the bigs 1-2 years tops.

Not saying we should've taken him at 13, but was hoping he'd be available in the 2nd, he's gonna be a big time Infielder.

Advertisement
Back