2017 MLB Draft Thread

Chester should come back for his senior year.

If he goes today, he shouldn't. Johnny Ruiz is the posterboy for how a senior season can go wrong. If doesn't, he probably should but might also go the Hayward route of getting started in pro ball.

If he does come back, Morris needs to keep him in the leadoff spot all year. I imagine the splits between leading off and not leading off in his stats this year are probably huge.

Advertisement
on MLB network last night they said all but 3 from rounds 1-10 signed. I was thinking rd. 8 too but it looks like the whole day today could be trouble

Round 9 and 10, and to an extent 7 and 8, are so under-slot college senior heavy that the 8th tends to be the cutoff.

Advertisement
Seven rounds done and no Toral or McMahon. Looking increasingly likely that they come to campus, especially Toral. We can really use his middle of the order bat. McMahon would become an instant weekend starter IMO.

No Toral, McMahon, or Chester through Round 8. I'd be stunned if we don't get Toral at this point, and McMahon dropping this far looks like a signability issue too. Toral would be our biggest position player get since Zack Collins, and McMahon would be our best pitching prospect since Andy Suarez.

Ruiz went 28th round to the Tigers if memory serves me correctly.

It was actually the Astros.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Glad to see Jeter Downs get drafted as high as he did, wish it was to the Marlins, that kid is going to be a good prospect.

I've known Jeter for years. He has always been a good kid with a professional mindset. It would have been too perfect if he went to the Marlins. Went to school for three years right down the road from Marlins Park before he transferred to Pace. Same school Adrian Del Castillo ('18 commit) went to in Middle School.

It might take a year or so, but he'll be a Top 150 prospect. Just needs to get coached up with his bat speed. Always thought it was a tick slow. If he could get it up, he could be a nice defense first line drive guy.

Last edited:
Into the run on Seniors. 7 of the first 8 picks in the 9th Round have been Seniors.

Glad to see Jeter Downs get drafted as high as he did, wish it was to the Marlins, that kid is going to be a good prospect.

I've known Jeter for years. He has always been a good kid with a professional mindset. It would have been too perfect if he went to the Marlins. Went to school for three years right down the road from Marlins Park before he transferred to Pace. Same school Adrian Del Castillo ('18 commit) went to in Middle School.

It might take a year or so, but he'll be a Top 150 prospect. Just needs to get coached up with his bat speed. Always thought it was a tick slow. If he could get it up, he could be a nice defense first line drive guy.
That's great to hear, I'm a big fan of his game, I think he'll do great in Cincinnati's system.

Even though he was a Miami signee, I never expected him to step foot on campus, kid is too talented.

MLB.com Scouting Report on Chris McMahon:
High school players in the Northeast can often be tough to evaluate because of the weather, with scouts not really getting a chance to see talent from the region in action until later on in the spring. But when McMahon, who lives about an hour west of Philadelphia, finished his basketball season and touched 95 mph in his first outing, it raised what was already a solid Draft stock. McMahon's size, build and stuff all point to a future starting pitcher. He'll show he can touch that 95 mph with his fastball fairly regularly and will sit in the 92-93 mph range consistently. It's a fastball that has life down in the zone when he keeps it to his arm side. While he can force his breaking ball at times, he'll show a good feel to spin it and will flash an above-average curve on occasion. He has a solid changeup as well, with good action to it, especially when he sells it well and powers through it. He throws strikes with all three of his offerings. In 2015, Mike Nikorak was taken by the Rockies in the first round out of the Pennsylvania high school ranks. While McMahon doesn't quite have the size or plus breaking ball Nikorak had entering the Draft, there's enough projection here for teams to consider trying to sign him away from his Miami commitment in the early stages of the Draft.

Advertisement
MLB.com Scouting Report on Toral:
Toral was a "famous name" heading into this Draft season, one who swung the bat well on the summer showcase circuit and looked like he could be one of the more intriguing high school power bats this June. A rough spring has limited the buzz around him and a strong commitment to Miami is definitely coming into play. Over the summer, Toral showed the ability to use the whole field when he was at the plate and would consistently drive the ball to left-center field. He spent much of the spring trying to pull the ball too frequently and it impacted his production, keeping him from tapping into his raw power. As a first baseman only, one with limited range but solid enough hands and feet to be capable there, Toral has to hit to have value. Toral reminds some of Yonder Alonso when he was coming out of the Florida high school ranks. Alonso went to Miami and emerged as a first-round pick three years later, a path many think or hope Toral will take as well.

Thanks for all the good info Scane. It is nice to read some informative information on here instead of the unreadable gibberish/garbage of Jagr/Antwan.

Advertisement
Thanks for all the good info Scane. It is nice to read some informative information on here instead of the unreadable gibberish/garbage of Jagr/Antwan.

Way to add something to the thread. Looks like you're still bitter that I called this season five years ago while you were cheerleading for Jim Morris and Al Golden.

The 11th round is the unofficial "take a shot" round and actually has far more talent drafted in it than the 9th-10th rounds. After the 10th round you get a free 100k that doesn't count against the bonus pool, and teams can go up to 5% over their bonus pool amounts without incurring any draft pick penalties (the penalty is simply a dollar-for-dollar tax). This means that teams take tough signs in the 11th, get the free 100k, throw some of their 5% at them and hope they bite.

There is no loss of bonus pool money if a pick after the 10th round doesn't sign. Teams like the Reds and Twins can take a lot of their leftover money and still throw a million dollars at a draft pick after the 10th.

All of this to say, most likely players not selected yet will make it to campus at this point.

If we can get them to campus we might get some pop back in the lineup between Toral, and Rivera.

That's great to hear, I'm a big fan of his game, I think he'll do great in Cincinnati's system.

Even though he was a Miami signee, I never expected him to step foot on campus, kid is too talented.

To the best of my knowledge, he would have had to go much much later for him to end up at Miami. With that said, when he committed and when he signed, he had all of the intentions in the world of coming here, but as the process went on, it was obvious he was going no later then R2 with some late projections saying he was an easy R1 pick.

Either way, good kid who deserves that 2.1M or whatever he is going to get. He earned it.

Advertisement
Back