2014 DT Clark Likes Miami

View as article
What is wrong with parent trying to send their kids away? That is good parenting. Allow the kid to sink or swim on his own. This has nothing to do with recruiting or the university of Miami.

Noiw if the parent is pushing kid to go to a certain school, that will be something to look at

Advertisement
What is wrong with parent trying to send their kids away? That is good parenting. Allow the kid to sink or swim on his own. This has nothing to do with recruiting or the university of Miami.

Noiw if the parent is pushing kid to go to a certain school, that will be something to look at

How bout supporting your child with their decision, weather it leaving or staying home to go to college. Pushing your kid to go "away" when they would like to stay close to home and get a top notch education is not good parenting.

Depends on your definition of "away." Is the experience that different between going "away" to FSU and going "away" to Coral Gables?

I'm going to get ragged for this post but here goes.
For those of you who didn't grow up in Miami during the late 70's early 80's I'll let you in on something. Miami is one of the most racist cities in America. We don't have a melting pot. It's always been a boiling pot. in the 80's we seemingly had race riots every couple years, and I'm not talking 10 people protesting, I mean full on race riots.
The last restaurant to integrate in America was the old Biscayne Cafeteria in Coral Gables on the Miracle Mile.
I remember before I left Miami in 2000, my brother and I were going to play a poker tournament and his wife said to be careful because there was this **** gang out there whose membership requirement was to kill a black, a latin and an asian. Not many of us Asians around in Miami so she wanted us to be careful.
Miami is crazy.
For all you Cuban Americans out there, during the 90's the Cuban American official endorsement for president went to....,David Duke big poobah of the Ku Klux Klan.
I ran a marketing program for the Omni Hotel in Miami years ago and they were holding the national golden gloves tournament in Miami and the boxers were all staying at the Omni, not even sure it's still called the Omni, but one day in the elevator there was me and some seriously tough looking guys and one of the boxers looks at the other and asks, "you been outside of the hotel?"
The other one says, "**** no, this city scares the **** out of me."
Let's face it all those parents of recruits in Miami are my age and had a love/hate relationship with the city of Miami. Most anyone who had the financial means or opportunity moved away from Miami when they could. It's just the way it was. Miami is a great city to vacation in, especially if you are like me and have had a life long fondness for latinas, but when you look at it from an objective view it's easy to see why parents would want there kids to get away. Maybe they want their kids to get away from negative influences, of which there are plenty in Miami.

On the flip side Coral Gables is not Miami. It's Miami like Beverly Hills and Westside L.A. is Los Angeles. My parents live on a Gables estate and are huge supporters of the University, but their Miami is a million miles away from some parent in Overtown. They can live anywhere but love Miami and who wouldn't when you have all the money in the world and live in paradise. Unfortunately every family in Miami and America is not like that living in an insulated bubble without a care in the world. Most people live in the real world, and the reality of Miami is oftentimes scary.

Last edited:
Advertisement
^Chicago, New York, and LA are all way worse in the aspects you describe. Miami has big city problems like every other big city, and this city has calmed considerably since the late 80's/early 90's. The inner-city is still going to inner-city, but that is fairly typical.

Anyways, hopefully our sanctions are out by NSD 2014, because we really need to clean up next year. We're seeing a lot of attrition in this year's class due to the looming threat of sanctions hitting 2013 recruits during their first or second year and hanging over them their entire career, but provided the NCAA actually ends this investigation (and hands out whatever sanctions they are going to hand out) at some point within the next year, 2014 kids will most likely not have any reservations about coming here. It's the unknown that scares the kids, history tells us that once the sanctions are handed out, kids will come into a situation no matter how dire it may be (within reason, obviously kids don't want to go to Penn State, but part of that is also saving face).

It looks like we may miss out on some big time guys this year, but we can attempt to make amends for that in the next class, and getting some highly rated DT's for once (regardless of how inaccurate lineman projections are) can go a long way for us in the future. DT isn't really much of a priority this year (outside of the JUCO ranks) due to the amount of young up-and-comers we have on the roster, but if we are going to miss out on the young guys this season who will be ready to contribute full time in 2015, we need to grab a couple more next year to make up for it.

I wouldn't blame any DL for not wanting to come here. We had 13 **** sacks man! we had 4 games with ZERO sacks. at bc, at nd, home vs unc, and home vs usf.

Facts

4 other games 1 sack or less at ksu, at gt, home vs Virginia Tech, and at Duke

That reeks! No other way to say it.

Thats due to lack of talent and depth. Get the studs in here and the sack/pressure numbers will increase over night!

^Chicago, New York, and LA are all way worse in the aspects you describe. Miami has big city problems like every other big city, and this city has calmed considerably since the late 80's/early 90's. The inner-city is still going to inner-city, but that is fairly typical.

Anyways, hopefully our sanctions are out by NSD 2014, because we really need to clean up next year. We're seeing a lot of attrition in this year's class due to the looming threat of sanctions hitting 2013 recruits during their first or second year and hanging over them their entire career, but provided the NCAA actually ends this investigation (and hands out whatever sanctions they are going to hand out) at some point within the next year, 2014 kids will most likely not have any reservations about coming here. It's the unknown that scares the kids, history tells us that once the sanctions are handed out, kids will come into a situation no matter how dire it may be (within reason, obviously kids don't want to go to Penn State, but part of that is also saving face).

It looks like we may miss out on some big time guys this year, but we can attempt to make amends for that in the next class, and getting some highly rated DT's for once (regardless of how inaccurate lineman projections are) can go a long way for us in the future. DT isn't really much of a priority this year (outside of the JUCO ranks) due to the amount of young up-and-comers we have on the roster, but if we are going to miss out on the young guys this season who will be ready to contribute full time in 2015, we need to grab a couple more next year to make up for it.

I think Golden and his staff are doing a remarkable job recruiting. With all the crap hanging over the Program's head, it's incredible that we can get anybody, not to mention top guys. Having national recruits considering us speaks volumes to the staff and the direction of the program which is way up despite crippling adversity.

I live in LA right now and venture into South Central often to look at real estate and I can tell you LA is nothing like Miami. Miami's bad areas rival or exceed any major city in this country. LA is like a country club compared to Miami. New York has been getting cleaned up dramatically. South side Chicago is bad but it's just a different culture than Miami. More community than war zone.

I'm not saying Miami is horrible. I'm just saying there is an underlying racism in Miami that is different then elsewhere. Maybe it's the heat and the sauna like humidity. Maybe it's just the hot bloodedness that seems so prevalent in Miami. Maybe everyone is just so ****ed off at the Rodan sized mosquitos they take it out on the first available target. I wish I knew. I just know that it's there.
Like I said, I love and hate Miami. All except the Canes. I've watched every second of every Canes game since Howard came to Miami. I mean every second right up to the glorious or bitter end. Not in person unfortunately but every way I could. I watched some great games and some tragic ones, and have cheered every second. I may dislike a lot about Miami the city, but I do love my Canes and always will.

Advertisement
I wouldn't blame any DL for not wanting to come here. We had 13 **** sacks man! we had 4 games with ZERO sacks. at bc, at nd, home vs unc, and home vs usf.

Facts

4 other games 1 sack or less at ksu, at gt, home vs Virginia Tech, and at Duke

That reeks! No other way to say it.

U arent making any sense.

Advertisement
Back