2014 Brooklyn DT Thomas Holley offered

As much as it pains me to admit, the FSU offer tells me that this kid is probably legit. FSU has been killing it at DL recruiting for a few years now.

Advertisement
Eh... you know, IM not a huge fan of DL from the Northeast. There are SO many **** big and nasty DTs in the South, that I would focus on Texas, LA, GA, and FL for kids to play DT.

IIRC, UF's monster double first round DT's are from NYC and Phiily, fwiw.

Bones Jones' brothers, Terrance Knighton, Dominique Easley, Kwakou Robinson, Antonio Dixon, Scott Vallone have come from NY in the past decade.

Antonio Dixon?
Seriously?

and it runs all the way from the northeast to Miami

199.jpg

I grew up and live in NYC. I can tell you that, fair or not, to NYC folks Tallahassee and FSU might as well be the University of the toothless Appalachian Mountain People. UF too. It's just not on our academic, social, or comfort radar.

Miami on the other hand is a place were comfortable with.

Is it gonna become a regularity for us to fight f$u for ny prospects lulz

Appears that way. Luckily for us, I really can't see a kid from NY deciding to live in Tally over Miami that often. If he's spent his whole life in NY, Miami is a much more comfortable transition than some podunk piece of **** hellhole.

Yeah no way a NYC kid picks that ****hole over miami

Advertisement
Eh... you know, IM not a huge fan of DL from the Northeast. There are SO many **** big and nasty DTs in the South, that I would focus on Texas, LA, GA, and FL for kids to play DT.

Bones Jones' brothers, Terrance Knighton, Dominique Easley, Kwakou Robinson, Antonio Dixon, Scott Vallone have come from NY in the past decade.

I thought Dixon was from MIami

I grew up and live in NYC. I can tell you that, fair or not, to NYC folks Tallahassee and FSU might as well be the University of the toothless Appalachian Mountain People. UF too. It's just not on our academic, social, or comfort radar.

Miami on the other hand is a place were comfortable with.

Truth.

Appears that way. Luckily for us, I really can't see a kid from NY deciding to live in Tally over Miami that often. If he's spent his whole life in NY, Miami is a much more comfortable transition than some podunk piece of **** hellhole.

i hope you're right, but the "podunk Tallahassee [or Gainesville]" argument has not held up all that well in the past. Think of Eddie Goldman from DC, UF's Floyd from Philly, or Marvin Austin who went to Chapel Hill. Whether UM fans want to admit it or not, city-based recruits often end up in small college towns.

It brings to mind the argument that UM is a better school academically than FSU. For the vast majority of the top level recruits, the difference is negligible, if not nonexistent. these kids (and their families) are just thrilled to see them heading to a 4-year school to get a degree, irrespective of the US News rankings.

i hope you're right, but the "podunk Tallahassee [or Gainesville]" argument has not held up all that well in the past. Think of Eddie Goldman from DC, UF's Floyd from Philly, or Marvin Austin who went to Chapel Hill. Whether UM fans want to admit it or not, city-based recruits often end up in small college towns.

It brings to mind the argument that UM is a better school academically than FSU. For the vast majority of the top level recruits, the difference is negligible, if not nonexistent. these kids (and their families) are just thrilled to see them heading to a 4-year school to get a degree, irrespective of the US News rankings.

All execellent points and realities that many here dont like to admit. Fact is all this "were ranked above FSU' stuff doesnt mean sh8t to 90% of these kids. Its all about where they think they can win, and have fun, and play/excel to the next level.

Advertisement

I said NYC ***** keep up.

Why, because we've been so successful with that approach for the past decade?

LOL.

Offer every single baller DT you can find who can fog a freakin mirror and sort it out before signing day.

Advertisement

I said NYC ***** keep up.

fair enough. the reason why i branched out to other big cities is that I'm just not aware of many big-time prospects coming out of NYC. i suppose you could analyze this theory concerning basketball recruits, as a ton of studs come out of NYC. without looking at the data, i'd suspect many of them end up going to great programs, despite them being in small college towns (e.g. Kentucky, Syracuse, Duke, UNC, etc...).

LOL.

Offer every single baller DT you can find who can fog a freakin mirror and sort it out before signing day.

Didnt we pretty much do that last year?

How man DTs from Texas, LA or the South do we have? We went all the way to f*cking Nevada for a DT, and the rest were from Florida. We havent gone after any notable Texas DTs since Butch was here. If you recall Butch was ALL OVER Texas and the South looking for DTs.

I'd say that in 3 years Golden has proven that he will go to pretty much anywhere after DLs. He has offered EVERYONE that he thinks can play.

Advertisement

Count me as 100% opposite you on this. I'd be skeptical of the NE for skill positions like DB, WR, RB (save NJ, which has real competition and generates players much more productively than the rest of the NE).

But for linemen, it's a different matter. Yes, there are many in SEC country, none of whom we get. But with linemen, it's about projection and evaluation more than competition at the HS ranks. Plenty of linemen from FLA end up being overrated. We've had our share. So location isn't a separator. Big guys generally look good in HS, anyhow, given their relative physical advantages. For those spots, i'd focus on just evals, not location, try to get the kids to a camp, and go from there.

LOL.

Didnt we pretty much do that last year?

How man DTs from Texas, LA or the South do we have? We went all the way to f*cking Nevada for a DT, and the rest were from Florida. We havent gone after any notable Texas DTs since Butch was here. If you recall Butch was ALL OVER Texas and the South looking for DTs.
How does that help your argument? If you're just worried we won't sign DL from outside of Florida, then you're talking about a different issue. And our chances with a NE kid are going to be much etter than our chances from a SEC country kid.

Kid is going against lineman much smaller than him, so he shows out. Has no moves, its straight bull rush too.

I am sure that they can work on that, but from the film on Hudl, wasn't overly impressed.

I thought Dixon was from MIami

He played at Milford for a prep year. A slip.

Advertisement
Back