2014 3-4 depth chart

Am I the only one who doesn't like Chad Thomas in either of his likely 3-4 roles here?

Obviously, him bulking up like Chick to be a 3-4 DE sounds like a horrible idea to me. And him standing up and possibly dropping at OLB doesn't seem right for him either.

He really seems like the prototypical 4-3 DE to me.

You're not the only one. I'd love to see McCord, AQM, Thomas, Chick, Kamalu as 4-3 DEs.

Pierre, Moore, Wyche, Pelon, Moten, Valentine, Jenkins as the DTs oooooowwwwwwweee

Advertisement
Am I the only one who doesn't like Chad Thomas in either of his likely 3-4 roles here?

Obviously, him bulking up like Chick to be a 3-4 DE sounds like a horrible idea to me. And him standing up and possibly dropping at OLB doesn't seem right for him either.

You're not the only one. I'd love to see McCord, AQM, Thomas, Chick, Kamalu as 4-3 DEs.

Pierre, Moore, Wyche, Pelon, Moten, Valentine, Jenkins as the DTs oooooowwwwwwweee

I could get down with that. Except Pelon (IF he comes) is only 275 I believe. He'd be a SDE for us along with Chick and Kamalu.

4-3

WDE-McCord, AQM,Trent Harris, Mike Smith, Demetrius Jackson
DT-Wyche, Moore, Valentine
DT-Pierre, Hamilton, Moten, Jenkins
SDE-Chick, Kamalu, Pelon, Thomas (once he gets bigger), Hoilett

That looks real good to me.

Last edited:
DE Chickillo Hamilton Pelon? Thomas
NT Pierre Wyche Valentine Moore King Jenkins
DE Kamalu Moten
DE/OLB McCord Muhammed Hoilett Harris Smith
ILB Armbrister Blue
ILB Figueroa Grace Young
OLB Perryman Kirby Owens McCray
CB Howard Dortch
FS Bush Burns Mayes Jackson?
SS Jenkins Carter Gayot?
CB Gunter Elder Bethel
NB Crawford Lewis

I had to make my own and adjust a little.

Perryman has always been our coverage linebacker. The only time he is relativly in the box is during nickel packages really or a 20s, 30s personnel.

Our team doesn't like to play new kids, so I don't see Wyche getting a start Olsen should be able to hold it. He did for parts this season.

If J.C. comes I just see him going to safety. Comes down hard for the run.

Just looking at this Chart though shows to me again. Depth will be our problem this year. The positions I don't see a problem with depth wise is CB, DE/OLB, and OLB if Perryman returns. Our lack of depth killed us this year and it looks like it will do it again next year.

Chad Thomas will be on the field in game one. By then he should be plenty strong.

I could get down with that. Except Pelon (IF he comes) is only 275 I believe. He'd be a SDE for us along with Chick and Kamalu.

4-3

WDE-McCord, AQM,Trent Harris, Mike Smith, Demetrius Jackson
DT-Wyche, Moore, Valentine
DT-Pierre, Hamilton, Moten, Jenkins
SDE-Chick, Kamalu, Thomas (once he gets bigger), Hoilett

That looks real good to me.
Let me go ahead and take Pelon off this.

Hopefully I don't have to take Wyche off eventually.

Advertisement
If perryman leaves (which I expect him to do), on paper our front 7 looks a lot worse than last year. Our DBS should be fine tho

Does anyone feel like the problem is too much of our players have to drastically change their body types to fit in No D scheme? It may take 2/3 years to get used to their new physique. Most of our players are natural 4-3 players and us using 3-4 is gonna take atleast 3-4 more years to get all them right.

Golden's failures in recruiting has led us to this. How can you look at this depth chart, look at the fact that we're breaking in a new QB, and expect to win more than 8 games next year?

Meanwhile FSU looks strong as ever.

I guess that's what having recruiting classes ranked in the 20's for 3 out of the last 4 years will do. SMH.

The worst part is - it couldn't be any easier to recruit a solid juco DT here. **** depth chart means immediate playing time, still noone wants to come play for Golden/Donofrio/Jethro. SMDH

Advertisement
Golden's failures in recruiting has led us to this. How can you look at this depth chart, look at the fact that we're breaking in a new QB, and expect to win more than 8 games next year?

Meanwhile FSU looks strong as ever.

I guess that's what having recruiting classes ranked in the 20's for 3 out of the last 4 years will do. SMH.

The worst part is - it couldn't be any easier to recruit a solid juco DT here. **** depth chart means immediate playing time, still noone wants to come play for Golden/Donofrio/Jethro. SMDH

Not sure what you expected from him. His first class had nobody committed and he had to scramble with only 6 weeks to try and build relationships with players.

With the NCAA investigation plaguing the last 2 classes, we lost quite a few players that would have come if not for the negative recruiting. Lat years class was full of South Florida players that were full of drama.

There have wen a lot if players not buying in and getting kicked off. In the long run we'll be better off getting more talented players that are about football and winning.

This class is loaded with studs

DE/Hybrid OLB
Thomas 5* - game changing talent who will play year 1
Jackson 4* - Sky high ceiling who will be a terror after 1-2 years to develop
Harris 4* - explosive first step and non-stop motor

DT
Valentine 4* - Man-child that has talent to be All-American
Moten 4* - Very technically sound and uses hands well. Prototypical 3-4 DE or SDE in 4-3 under
Jenkins 3* that has seen his stock explode after senior season

OLB
Owens 4* - explosive athlete that is a great tackler, can rush te passer as play in coverage
Smith 4* - knows how I get to QB. Explosive off the snap with ability to bend and get under OT's

ILB
Young 4* - Big, athletic thumper in the middle. Has the speed/strength to get early playing time
McCray 3* - hybrid player who had a great senior season. Could play inside or out.

This class will be the one to allow this team to begin to be a perennial powerhouse and challenge FSU and Clemson for ACC Championships and eventually The National Championship.

Well with our apparent struggles to find another JUCO NT, will this staff adjust its philosophy to better suit the personnel? It doesn't look like we will have the horses at NT to run that 2 gap 3-4 full time next year. In fact on the surface it looks like if we try, our defense will be even more brutal, unless the staff magically finds another ready to roll starter at NT for September. On the other hand we do have the horses to run an attacking style 4-3. Al's fourth year here, he is gonna have some tough decisions to make......

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back