2014 3-4 depth chart

NorthFlaCane

Senior
Counting commits (and suspected leans), and not assuming anything about underclassmen, this is what the 3-4 should look like next year:

3/4 defense
DEChickilloPelon?HamiltonThomas
NTWycheValentineMooreKingJenkins
DEPierreKamaluMoten
OLBMuhammedHoilettHarrisSmith
ILBKirbyArmbristerBlue
ILBPerrymanGraceYoung
OLBMcCordFigueroaOwensMcCray
CBHowardDortchJackson?
FSBushBurnsMayes
SSJenkinsCarterGayot?
CBGunterElderBethel
NBCrawfordLewis
Assumptions
1. Burns to safety
2. Turner out of class
3. New commits: Pelon, Jackson, Gayot
4. Perryman doesn't go pro

Advertisement
1. Moving Bush to safety isn't too far fetched, we'd have a pretty reasonable 4 man rotation at safety that is far better than what we had this year
2. We're dying for defensive ends and a nose tackle that's ready to play
3. Overall, linebacker will be an upgrade, but still thin

I think Burns stays at CB.

Also, Chad Thomas is being recruited for the OLB role. And I don't think Valentine plays nose. My guess is he plays DE like Moten.

And I know you said no assumptions, but all signs points to DP going pro (even though I don't think he should).

I think Burns stays at CB.

Also, Chad Thomas is being recruited for the OLB role. And I don't think Valentine plays nose. My guess is he plays DE like Moten.

And I know you said no assumptions, but all signs points to DP going pro (even though I don't think he should).

I haven't heard Thomas say he was going to play OLB. I thought he said he was going to play a role similar to Chickillo. Valentine has nose tackle size and we're not exactly deep at that position.

DP will probably go pro, but there's still a chance.

One player I forgot was Demetrius Jackson, who will probably play OLB.

Advertisement
DE Chickillo
NT Wyche
DE Pierre Kamalu
OLB Muhammed
ILB Kirby
ILB Figueroa
OLB McCord
CB Howard
FS Bush
SS Gunter
CB Burns
NB Elder

D-End
Anthony Chickillo 6’4” 277lbs-don’t gain any weight-work on speed and quickness
Ufomba Kamalu 6’6” 285lbs-work on strength at the point of attack-refine pass rush
Anthony Moten 6’4” 279lbs-possible red shirt or show that potential as a back-up
Nose Tackle
Michael Wyche 6’4” 325lbs-his strength at the point of attack is his best attribute, could be good
Earl Moore 6’1” 302lbs-Strong as an ox-if he can learn to play with leverage his height is actually a big advantage.
Corey King 6’1” 296lbs-Just like Moore, leverage is key because his height is an advantage
Courtel Jenkins 6’2” 318lbs-hopefully red shirt for the future, like his height/size combo
D-End
Olsen Pierre 6’5” 305lbs-work on strength at the point of attack
Jelani Hamilton 6’5” 285lbs-fully recover from injuries, work on strength at the point of attack
Travonte Valentine 6’4” 297lbs-possible red shirt or show that potential as a back-up
Jack Backer
AQM 6’4” 240lbs-gain 10-20lbs without losing any quickness, work on diagnosing plays and pass rush
Chad Thomas 6’5” 240lbs-same as above
Trent Harris 6’2” 226lbs-gain 15-20lbs, use elite first step or possible redshirt
ILB
Jermaine Grace 6’1” 210lbs-gain 15-20lbs, keep quickness, beat out Kirby
Raphael Kirby 6’1” 235lbs-work on diagnosing plays/tackling
Juwon Young 6’2” 228lbs-good reaction/instincts put them to good use
ILB
Alex Figuero 6’3” 235lbs-build on your experience this year
Jawand Blue 6’0” 232lbs-take the next step
Darrion Owens 6’3” 216lbs-gain 15-20lbs without losing quickness, use coverage skills
Thurston Armbrister 6’3” 233lbs-work on tackling
OLB
Tyriq Mccord 6’3” 235lbs-refine pass rush, work on diagnosing plays, tackling, coverage
Mike Smith 6’2” 210lbs-gain 15-20lbs without losing any quickness, use pass rush skills
Terry Mccray 6’2” 215lbs-redshirt or back-up, good pass rusher
Demetrius Jackson 6’3” 230lbs-possible redshirt
CB
Antonio Crawford 5’11” 187lbs-best tackling corner-83% solo tackles-good in coverage
Tracy Howard 5’11” 184lbs-elite in coverage, work on tackling
Larry Hope 6’0” 183lbs-take the next step
SS
Ladarius Gunter 6’2” 196lbs-Good coverage, not afraid of contact, sure tackler, exactly what Miami needs at Strong Safety
Deon Bush 6’1”203lbs-Fully recover from injury and Sophomore slump
Jamal Carter 6’1” 207lbs-take the next step
Ray Lewis III 5’9” 185lbs-show me those instincts and sure tackling
FS
Rayshawn Jenkins 6’1” 208lbs-build on solid Sophomore season
Deon Bush 6’1” 203lbs or Jamal Carter 6’1” 207lbs
Ryan Mayes 6’2” 180lbs-gain 15-20lbs possible redshirt
CB
Artie Burns 6’0” 190lbs-take the next step after a solid Freshman year
Corn Elder 5’10” 173lbs-keep using that elite athleticism/competitiveness to build on solid Freshman year

Miami has an abundance of good/great corners so I moved the biggest/best tackler to Strong Safety which has been a huge weakness on this team for 2 years. This also allows Burns to start. I feel as though this would be Miami’s best combo of tackling/coverage in the Linebacker unit which has also been a major problem. The D-Line should be pretty good if Miami can find just a solid starter/backup at NT.

This was part of a write up I did on the defense, this is what I would like to see.

Advertisement
The problem with moving Gunter to safety is that he's a senior and you're right back to having a thin spot there next season.

The problem with moving Gunter to safety is that he's a senior and you're right back to having a thin spot there next season.

Why you still have Bush, Carter, Ray Lewis III, Jenkins + whoever comes this year and next year.

Bush, Jenkins, Carter + freshman + Lewis isn't a great situation - it's not awful, but if we moved Burns in 2015 we'd have 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 2-4 sophomores or freshman (depending on who redshirts and who we take) - that's the setup you want, upperclassmen in the 2 deep, young guys only breaking through on talent

Advertisement
The coaches obviously aren't worried about safety as much as we are or we'd be recruiting alot more reaches

Advertisement
Gunter is a baller at cornerback. Leave him there where he excels

Burns, Howard, Gunter, Crawford, Elder too many talented CBs to get on the field. Safety is a big problem. Gunter is 6'2" he could show his versatility for the NFL and help the team. Or Crawford who is physical and is good in coverage, those would be my top 2 choices to move. Prefer Burns as a shutdown corner with Howard on the other side.

Perryman isn't coming back and DL is, yet again, still atrocious.
It's unbelievable - what used to be DL U is now nothing.

I don't blame a single kid for not wanting to play DL here. (or defense at all for that matter)

Gunter is a baller at cornerback. Leave him there where he excels

Burns, Howard, Gunter, Crawford, Elder too many talented CBs to get on the field. Safety is a big problem. Gunter is 6'2" he could show his versatility for the NFL and help the team. Or Crawford who is physical and is good in coverage, those would be my top 2 choices to move. Prefer Burns as a shutdown corner with Howard on the other side.

i agree to an extent...u want the competition and may the best player win, not necessarily the most talented. Why I'm sticking with Gunter.

Burns received a lot of valuable experience and showed flashes of greatness and not so great times. At this point in time I do not feel comfortable with him starting on the other side of Howard. Burns will def. play at cb a good bit next year but the top two should be Gunter and Howard with Burns starting his Jr and Sr years.

Granted this discussion is much too early to talk about, perhaps Carter will step up, hopefully Bush is healthy and ready to go and Rayshawn Jenkins continues to improve.

Advertisement
Back