2014 3-4 depth chart

That NT position is downright scary next year. I see alot of depth chart predictions having Wyche is our starting NT next year!? And I have heard many reports that he is still VERY raw. Moore and King are still question marks and Valentine just is not ready. I just cant see how we can run any form of a 3-4 next year. (Unless we get Pelon but many have said he is not a NT) This will be a very interesting offseason on the Dline as usual. Smh.

Advertisement
Then again, a 3-4 NT isn't asked to do much more than take up space. Wyche certainly has the size for that.

Moore will be in his 3rd season next year, and that's usually when dline are physically mature enough to be consistent contributors. He got bad reviews as a freshman, but most interior lineman get bad reviews as freshman. He could be alright.

They could also move Pierre over to NT. He's got the size and is physically mature. We seem to have a little more depth at the ends than at NT.

I wouldn't call the dline trash, it just doesn't have a tremendous amount of depth. Chickillo can play when you keep his snap count down, Kamalu has shown some flashes, Hamilton could finally be all the way back from his injury (and in his 3rd year of lifting as well), it seems likely we'll get this Pelon kid with the visit. And if we go to a 4 man line guys like Muhammed and McCord would slide down to end.

I don't understand why we run this up-tempo offense with this complete lack of depth on defense. If we tried to keep the defensive snaps low, we'd see much better performance.

I don't understand why we run this up-tempo offense with this complete lack of depth on defense. If we tried to keep the defensive snaps low, we'd see much better performance.

Miami has always had a 'quick-strike' offense full of playmakers, thus we can score at any given time... With that being said, I believe we went up-tempo in some cases this year just to get Morris and the O into a rhythm and not necessarily to score at will.

Advertisement

Miami has always had a 'quick-strike' offense full of playmakers, thus we can score at any given time... With that being said, I believe we went up-tempo in some cases this year just to get Morris and the O into a rhythm and not necessarily to score at will.

I know we've always scored quickly, but most of that was due to the talent of our skill position players and not the pace our offense desired to play. Those same teams were capable of putting together a 5-6 minute drive when the situation warranted it. Of course, part of our problem this year was our inability to convert on 3rd down.

You mention guys like Moore and Pierre as backup NTs, but that just isn't their skill-sets. Moore is what, 6'1 310? He doesn't seem like a 3-4 NT to me. Pierre also seems more natural as 4-3 DT playing the 3-technique.

Again, we don't have the personnel to properly run this 3-4 we seem ****-bent on playing.

Moore has worked himself into the mix at NT the last few weeks. Wyche/Moore could end up being good enough next year. I wouldn't mind going back to a 4-3 to maximize the ability of 17 and 98.

It's not perfect, but those guys can contribute is all I am getting at. Jenkins certainly looks like a natural NT, Valentine will have the size once he matures, Wyche has the size.

And look at Moore, that guy is a fireplug. He's not a 4-3 DT at all, he's a nose. He's just not overwhelmingly huge, but north of 300 is plenty big, especially when there's another offseason strength program to build his body.

Advertisement
Moore has worked himself into the mix at NT the last few weeks. Wyche/Moore could end up being good enough next year. I wouldn't mind going back to a 4-3 to maximize the ability of 17 and 98 and 91 and 71.

Word.

Perryman is the biggest turning point here. If he stayed, I think he and Kirby man the middle. Then you have Figs and McCord outside. If he goes, there is a big void obviously. I think Figueroa has to move inside in that event (he may anyway) because he has the size. I simply don't think they'll play a 220 lb Grace inside given Golden's obsession with size, but he could play outside.

I don't see a scenario in which McCord and Muhammad both start. I think they'll actually end up playing the same position, but McCord is farther along as a position player. He'll be the new and improved Shayon Green IMO. I think Muhammad will play the same role as this year--pass rusher primarily. Beyond that, he might back up McCord. I think he'll put on a ton of weight this offseason and be the biggest gainer--probably come into next year around 255-260.

We must also acknowledge that depth charts aren't that critical in current Miami football. Dono has shown us that he wants to play a hundred different guys with specialty personnel at all levels, so one static 3-4 chart isn't that meaningful IMO.

I know we've always scored quickly, but most of that was due to the talent of our skill position players and not the pace our offense desired to play. Those same teams were capable of putting together a 5-6 minute drive when the situation warranted it. Of course, part of our problem this year was our inability to convert on 3rd down.

Once again NFC is on point.
If you going to go fast paced offense you better score with a high frequency.. Problem is we didn't.
Look at Auburn. There defense was porous but their offense scored at a high rate and converted on 3rd downs and kept the ball 30 minutes on average.
I keep saying if this offense could have done the same results would have been different.

Advertisement
Chickillo – Kamalu – Moten
Moore – Wyche – Valentine
Pierre – Hamilton - Jenkins

Muhammad – Thomas – Hoilett - Harris
Kirby – Armbrister – Blue - Owens
Perryman – Grace – Young - McCray
McCord – Figueroa – Smith - Jackson

Gunter – Crawford – Dortch -Lewis
Bush – Carter - Fentress
Burns – Jenkins - Hope
Howard – Elder –Bethel - Mays

Why Burns to FS? Jenkins played well at FS. SS is our problem. So we pray Bush is healthy and improves on the sophomore slump?

Advertisement
Am I the only one who doesn't like Chad Thomas in either of his likely 3-4 roles here?

Obviously, him bulking up like Chick to be a 3-4 DE sounds like a horrible idea to me. And him standing up and possibly dropping at OLB doesn't seem right for him either.

He really seems like the prototypical 4-3 DE to me.

Why Burns to FS? Jenkins played well at FS. SS is our problem. So we pray Bush is healthy and improves on the sophomore slump?

I'm not down on Jenkins, I just don't know what else we're going to do at safety. Maybe move someone else? Actually recruit a safety? I just don't know.

I hope we bring in a safety. Burns can be a more athletic Antrel Rolle for us if he's allowed to develop at CB.

Chickillo – Kamalu – Moten
Moore – Wyche – Valentine
Pierre – Hamilton - Jenkins

Muhammad – Thomas – Hoilett - Harris
Kirby – Armbrister – Blue - Owens
Perryman – Grace – Young - McCray
McCord – Figueroa – Smith - Jackson

Gunter – Crawford – Dortch -Lewis
Bush – Carter - Fentress
Burns – Jenkins - Hope
Howard – Elder –Bethel - Mays

Secondary looks good for the most part, and DPs not coming back do you can take him off. The rest looks good on paper at a few spots.

Advertisement
Back