2008 Class Revisited

Advertisement
2008. The class that was going to resurrect Miami football. Always staggering to look back and see how little we got from those NW kids, based on the expectations going in.

Then there‘s Lavonte David, who was also at NW but was a 2 star that no one talked about and I think went JUCO. He goes on to be an All-American, multiple year Pro Bowler, and Super Bowl winner.

You just never know.

Saw Travis Benjamin in Eddie Vs in downtown Las Olas on V-day a few weeks ago. Still got a Maybach. I said what’s up and Go Canes and he said Fa sho. Seems like he’s staying super low profile. You would have thought he was just a regular cat with dreads if you didn’t see him hop in his Maybach right out front. Lol.

Kendal Thompkins, he was solid, the 3rd WR from MNW in that class. I believe he was one of the last guys to get a scholarship in that class. I liked him as a slot guy, but he was just solid at best. On paper that 2007 Northwestern squad was about as stacked a team as I've ever seen.
He may have been where Green Tree All American originated

Every report we got was how he dominated practices

Advertisement
I would’ve liked for Jacory and those guys to play in a spread/air raid type offense

Jacory could see it, but he couldn’t physically do what his mind was seeing. He was also insanely confident which led to him throwing a ton of picks at Miami.

If he had a stronger arm, he would’ve been an NFL player. Kid could read the field and anticipate, but couldn’t physically execute it.

Advertisement
I missed on a ton in this class, but one hit was Streeter over Aldarius. It’s the reason I drove the Cook over Yearby train years later.

Always be wary of highly rated local guys with average explosiveness. Tracy Howard had the same red flag. Early bloomers get pushed up due to local reputation.

Advertisement
I missed on a ton in this class, but one hit was Streeter over Aldarius. It’s the reason I drove the Cook over Yearby train years later.

Always be wary of highly rated local guys with average explosiveness. Tracy Howard had the same red flag. Early bloomers get pushed up due to local reputation.

Agreed; but in Tracy’s defense…I will never, EVER forget how D’No was upset w/ him for using his instincts to jump a route for a pick 6 against UVA. He was literally never the same. Tracy was put in a horrible position; ****, all them boys were. B/c of his lack of explosion, being off the ball 10 yrds did him no favors. He needed to be in a bump & run system where he could mitigate the opposing WRs speed by bumping his progress off the L.O.S.

D’No was an absolutely horrible fit as a DC here, both schematically & personality.

We took five receivers from Miami-Dade County and missed TY Hilton.

We took eight players from Miami Northwestern and missed Lavonte David.

Was about to post the tidbit about TY.

What makes that miss hurt is that he wasn't exactly an under the radar guy. He was definitely under recruited (maybe because of his size) but he could fly. Everyone who followed Dade County football at the time knew TY was a beast. Stud basketball player as well.

There’s a few of them this cycle (not just locally)

I’m really curious to see if they participate in camps and how they do just before their Sr years

Advertisement
That sorry pitiful mf’s father is the founder and FedEx. He married Collins Touhy who is the real life sister depicted in the movie The Blind Side. Her family used to own “like a million Taco Bell’s”. He doing aiight.
The point he was trying to make is he's a terrible football player. We didn't need the family history.

Advertisement
Back