2008 Class Revisited

Ghandi

Junior
Since the spring is almost here, I wanted to look back at the last time Miami has a good amount of talent - on paper of course - coming on campus. I'll focus on two position groups (QB and WR) since they where extremely bloated relative to the spots they usually take on the roster.

I also started looking at LB, but got sad when I found out that Gavin Hardin died.

Looking at the film on the WR's we recruited in 2008, the signs where there that they may been overrated at the time. When you look at the OL class we brought in, the high-end kids are killing their contemporaries in all-star games. Now let's see them do it in college.

QB -
4* Jacory Harris - solid starter, gave me a memory for a lifetime when he threw that rainbow to Benjamin at Doak. Led Miami to a 9-4 season and threw for 3k yards. Also threw 17 INT's that single handedly gave away the Clemson and UNC games that year. When he took that hit at UVA, I thought I'd seen the first death in a modern CFB game. Now is a fire rescue.
3* Taylor Cook - how a guy this big had the softest arm I've ever seen is beyond me. Transferred to Rice and then has seemingly disappeared. I may be spelling the name wrong, but this dude doesn't even have a CFB reference tab.
3* Cannon Smith - never played a meaningful down in Miami, transferred to Memphis. It looks like he jumped on the green energy train in 2014, but not much out there on him.

WR -
4* Aldarius Johnson - Highest rated of the WR, but perhaps the worst one. Excellent hands, but no ability to separate (even in high school). Runs a training facility and his son is a class of 2026 kid.
4* Davon Johnson - Injuries derailed his time at Miami, but like Johnson, had a hard time getting open at the college level. Was coaching at FMC, but not sure what he's currently up to.
4* Tommy Streeter - Second best of the bunch, had a break out season as a Jr (posted 800yds and 8 TD's in Folden's constipated offense.Left early and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Claims to have a super bowl ring, but I'm not sure what he was on the active roster for. I see a few tryouts, but only 2 games in the NFL w/ Jacksonville.
4* Travis Benjamin - Best of the bunch by far, and I thought he was @DMoney's lover with the way he used to post about him.. Kid could shake loose in a phone booth. 9yr NFL pro who was still running by people in 2021. Not sure if he hung it up, but it looks like he's going to give it another go in 2023.
3* LaRon Byrd - Played well as a Sophomore in spots, but progress slowed as a Jr and apparently got hit by the Al Golden Dim Mak in 2011. Played 2 seasons in the NFL and most recent was running a non-profit in Louisiana.
3* Thearon Collier - Played well as a Freshman, but then fell off of a cliff as a Sophomore. Transferred to USC, but not sure if he ever got in a season there. Probably smoking a bowl somewhere as I type this.

Advertisement
Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

Advertisement
Advertisement
I remember watching Aldarius, aka Glue hands, and wondering just how he was going to deal with much faster/quicker/technical dbs.

Also, wasn't there another WR? Kendall Thompson or something
Kendal Thompkins, he was solid, the 3rd WR from MNW in that class. I believe he was one of the last guys to get a scholarship in that class. I liked him as a slot guy, but he was just solid at best. On paper that 2007 Northwestern squad was about as stacked a team as I've ever seen.

Streeter was on IR that year with the Ravens; he would have gotten the ring.

Cook eventually became a tight end for Rice after he transferred.
2010: 32 of 57 passes for 409 yards and three touchdowns (QB)​
2011: 133 yards receiving (TE)​
2012: 134 yards receiving (TE)​

More on Streeter:
2012: 6th round draft choice by the Ravens. Spends first year on injured reserve after injuring foot
2013: Cut by Ravens, signed by Tampa Bay to their practice squad
2014: Cut by Tampa Bay, signed to Miami Dolphins practice squad. Cut by Miami, signed by Jaguars to practice squad. Promoted later to active squad
2015: Signs with Miami Dolphins, is hurt and goes on IR and is then released in injury settlement
2016: Signs with Hamilton in the CFL, later part of four player trade with Saskatchewan

Streeter left after a strong 2011 season, being projected to be a 3rd - 6th round draft choice. He obviously slipped to the bottom end of that spectrum, leaving his margin of making a roster low. As shown above, he had some bad luck with injuries.

Advertisement
Kendal Thompkins, he was solid, the 3rd WR from MNW in that class. I believe he was one of the last guys to get a scholarship in that class. I liked him as a slot guy, but he was just solid at best. On paper that 2007 Northwestern squad was about as stacked a team as I've ever seen.
Kendal played in the Arena Football League, and was active there up to 2019.

Since the spring is almost here, I wanted to look back at the last time Miami has a good amount of talent - on paper of course - coming on campus. I'll focus on two position groups (QB and WR) since they where extremely bloated relative to the spots they usually take on the roster.

I also started looking at LB, but got sad when I found out that Gavin Hardin died.

Looking at the film on the WR's we recruited in 2008, the signs where there that they may been overrated at the time. When you look at the OL class we brought in, the high-end kids are killing their contemporaries in all-star games. Now let's see them do it in college.

QB -
4* Jacory Harris - solid starter, gave me a memory for a lifetime when he threw that rainbow to Benjamin at Doak. Led Miami to a 9-4 season and threw for 3k yards. Also threw 17 INT's that single handedly gave away the Clemson and UNC games that year. When he took that hit at UVA, I thought I'd seen the first death in a modern CFB game. Now is a fire rescue.
3* Taylor Cook - how a guy this big had the softest arm I've ever seen is beyond me. Transferred to Rice and then has seemingly disappeared. I may be spelling the name wrong, but this dude doesn't even have a CFB reference tab.
3* Cannon Smith - never played a meaningful down in Miami, transferred to Memphis. It looks like he jumped on the green energy train in 2014, but not much out there on him.

WR -
4* Aldarius Johnson - Highest rated of the WR, but perhaps the worst one. Excellent hands, but no ability to separate (even in high school). Runs a training facility and his son is a class of 2026 kid.
4* Davon Johnson - Injuries derailed his time at Miami, but like Johnson, had a hard time getting open at the college level. Was coaching at FMC, but not sure what he's currently up to.
4* Tommy Streeter - Second best of the bunch, had a break out season as a Jr (posted 800yds and 8 TD's in Folden's constipated offense.Left early and had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Claims to have a super bowl ring, but I'm not sure what he was on the active roster for. I see a few tryouts, but only 2 games in the NFL w/ Jacksonville.
4* Travis Benjamin - Best of the bunch by far, and I thought he was @DMoney's lover with the way he used to post about him.. Kid could shake loose in a phone booth. 9yr NFL pro who was still running by people in 2021. Not sure if he hung it up, but it looks like he's going to give it another go in 2023.
3* LaRon Byrd - Played well as a Sophomore in spots, but progress slowed as a Jr and apparently got hit by the Al Golden Dim Mak in 2011. Played 2 seasons in the NFL and most recent was running a non-profit in Louisiana.
3* Thearon Collier - Played well as a Freshman, but then fell off of a cliff as a Sophomore. Transferred to USC, but not sure if he ever got in a season there. Probably smoking a bowl somewhere as I type this.
Taylor cook switched to TE and got picked up by the Panthers. Don’t think he made a regular season roster

Advertisement
That sorry pitiful mf’s father is the founder and FedEx. He married the Collins Touhy who is the real life sister depicted in the movie The Blind Side. Her family used to own “like a million Taco Bell’s”. He doing aiight.

Well aware who his father is. Cool, that’s great and good for him.

He still was a sorry pitiful mf when it came to playing the sport of football.

Randy took what, 8 receivers in 2008? We ended up with Travis Benjamin and one year of Tommy Streeter.
In part, That was to make up for the fact that Coker had recruited so few in his time at Miami. Shannon oversigned though and it had repercussions that continued until 2014.

What made less sense was Randy also signing something like NINE linebackers in 2008.

In part, That was to make up for the fact that Coker had recruited so few in his time at Miami. Shannon oversigned though and it had repercussions that continued until 2014.

What made less sense was Randy also signing something like NINE linebackers in 2008.

Only one guy worked out - Spence. The other one was terrible here (Brown) but it wasn’t a talent thing. I think he was as just homesick.

Advertisement
Back