2006 Season

Exactly. I think the lack of skill on the outside is 06 was overstated. Granted it wasn’t elite those guys were good enough. That oline was the issue tho. And also not having a bell cow or a sspecial back. Even under butch the offense was always predicated on a strong run game then take shots

Oddly both Coop and Baby J are among top 10 all-time rushers, but both played 4 years and their season averages were lousy. The only elite back we had between Gore and Duke was Lamar Miller.

Advertisement
He did. He started all of them. They all sucked. Did you SEE Martell play QB?

Enos has been an HC and worked under Saban. He'll get decent work again, while Jon Richt is out there saying "I coached Malik Rosier at QB."
He played Martell on one drive. It was disappointing. Perry looked like crap too.

He was calling the same ****** plays at the end as the beginning. That's not adapting. If anyone hires him as an OC, I'll be surprised. QB coach maybe, but even that I'd be suspect.

He played Martell on one drive. It was disappointing. Perry looked like crap too.

He was calling the same ****** plays at the end as the beginning. That's not adapting. If anyone hires him as an OC, I'll be surprised. QB coach maybe, but even that I'd be suspect.

You know how this works. Guy with decent career gets fired from big job after spectacular failure. Goes to small, nothing school for a year, makes drastic improvement, gets next middling job for 2-3 years, does well enough, gets back to decent work again.

He won't be an OC anywhere noteworthy this year, but he'll wind up as an OC at something like a Tulane or Bowling Green a few years down the line.

You know how this works. Guy with decent career gets fired from big job after spectacular failure. Goes to small, nothing school for a year, makes drastic improvement, gets next middling job for 2-3 years, does well enough, gets back to decent work again.

He won't be an OC anywhere noteworthy this year, but he'll wind up as an OC at something like a Tulane or Bowling Green a few years down the line.
It's not impossible, but he's in his mid 50's and not getting younger.

Advertisement
Here is what we rolled into 2006 with, and this is why we failed:

Lance Leggett
Junior
247 Ranking: 5 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 13
Receiving Yards: 584

Sam Shields
Freshman
247 Ranking: 4 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 13
Receiving Yards: 501

Ryan Moore
Senior
247 Ranking: 5 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 5 (was suspended first 8 games of the season)
Receiving Yards: 251

Darnell Jenkins
Junior
247 Ranking: 4 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 3
Receiving Yards: 183 (suffered torn ACL in week 3)

Khalil Jones
Sophomore
247 Ranking: 3 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 11
Receiving Yards: 51

George Robinson
Freshman
247 Ranking: 2 Stars
Total Games in 2006: 0
Receiving Yards: 0 (Tore ACL in October practice and was redshirted)

It's not that Leggett, Shields, or Jenkins were not talented....it's that there were too few overall players to field an effective offense. With Robinson and Jenkins off the board by October, that left Miami with just three scholarship receivers (plus TE Greg Olsen) to go into the second half of the year...at least until Ryan Moore returned. Just three And it's no surprise that Miami, which started out at 5-2 began to grind to an absolute halt.

Yes, Miami made due by converting defensive back Ryan Hill into a wide receiver (71 yards in 2006), but the Hurricanes simply ran out of bodies at wide receiver. Again, they were far more suited to run the triple option offense than they were to run a conventional passing attack.

Coker went hard after Preston Parker and Sam Shields in 2006, but lost the former to FSU. In 2005 it was lower ranked recruit Bruce Williams (I believe), who flipped from Miami to Syracuse of all places. Coker only recruited four wide receivers in three years (Shields, Jenkins, Jones, and Robinson). Only two wide receiver signees in three years that could be considered blue chips. It was a complete failure and it crippled the 2006 Hurricanes. Absolutely embarrassing from a recruiting standpoint, and not fair for the rest of the team to go into the season that badly undermanned at such a key position.

I'm telling you - the talent pool in Florida strangely ran dry during that time.

Go back and look at the 2004 - 2006 recruiting classes.

With the exception of Antonio Brown who everyone missed on - if you could've taken any 3 WR's in the entire state of Florida over those 3 years - who would you have taken?

We. Lost. To. FIU. GTFO.

Did you experience that game? Because I did, and this is what happened off the field and only to me:

1. Saw a bunch of my “acquaintances” (friends that were always UM fans until they smelt the blood in the water and wore FIU colors) at the game;
2. My wife trying to take my attention away from these said acquaintances so I wouldn’t get in a fight with them;
3. Her sister trying to reassure me that “we” will win;
4. My drunk cousin feeding me beers telling me no way we lose this game, why are you being so amargado?
5. My answer to my cousin, “I can’t believe this guy doesn’t just run the ball every ******* down.“
6. My cousin, “Papo, here’s a special beer only brewed in Wynwood’s witch’s ***.
7. Me: “Awesome! Cuz, maybe he should just challenge Butch Davis to a time-out challenge. Winner takes game ”
8. ****, it’s now half way through the 3rd quarter, good night sweet prince. 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻all from Wynwood’s witch’s ***.
9. Wife and SIL, “why are you so serious?”
10. Me: ”I just want to get the **** out of here.”
11. Wife: “****, he’s drunk. He never leaves games early.”
12. SIL: “Can we get Ice Cream?”
13. Me: “****, your ice cream. Get my cousin and his gf and put me in my car before I have to deal with traffic on top of this bull****.”
14. SIL: “he’s just drunk.”
15. Me: “Get me the **** out of here and **** your strawberry ****** *** ice cream.”
16. Car silence
17. SIL: “are we getting ice cream?”
18. Me: “maybe you, I’m going home and jumping in my pool maybe drown myself.”
19. Wife: “We. Are. Just. Going. To. Drop. Him. Off. First. Before. We. Get. Ice. Cream.”
20. SIL: “Do you want us to get you ice cream?”
21: Me: “ I want you to hook up with Manny Diaz so you can **** up his life as my as he ****ed up my life tonight.”
22. Woke up next morning at SUNRISE after sleeping on patio furniture with my cousin as our SO’s were sleeping inside.
23. Still had a better night than Manny Diaz.

This sh it is GOLDEN LOL :rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg:

I'm telling you - the talent pool in Florida strangely ran dry during that time.

Go back and look at the 2004 - 2006 recruiting classes.

With the exception of Antonio Brown who everyone missed on - if you could've taken any 3 WR's in the entire state of Florida over those 3 years - who would you have taken?
It’s still a failure on Coker’s part, as he could have landed wide receivers from out of state. At least get a couple of three star players to provide depth and hope that one overperforms. The Hurricanes up to the 2006 were national title contenders...we should not have been losing recruiting wars to Syracuse. It’s inexcusable how poorly he went about recruiting wide receivers and quarterbacks. That should have been his strength!

Instead...even as we are attriting wide receivers early to the NFL (Parish, Moss, Hester) and losing them to transfers (Jolla) we sign NO wide receivers in 2005 and successfully land one in 2006 (Shields). And Robinson (2 star player) was brought in as a last second fill in because Preston Parker went to FSU.

Coker’s net that he cast for wide receivers was about as large as the net one might use to fast has butterflies with.

Last edited:
It’s still a failure on Coker’s part, as he could have landed wide receivers from out of state. At least get a couple of three star players to provide depth and hope that one overperforms. The Hurricanes up to the 2006 were national title contenders...we should not have been losing recruiting wars to Syracuse. It’s inexcusable how poorly he went about recruiting wide receivers and quarterbacks. That should have been his strength!

Instead...even as we are attriting wide receivers early to the NFL (Parish, Moss, Hester) and losing them to transfers (Jolla) we sign NO wide receivers in 2005 and successfully land one in 2006 (Shields). And Robinson (2 star player) was brought in as a last second fill in because Preston Parker went to FSU.

Coker’s net that he cast for wide receivers was about as large as the net one might use to fast has butterflies with.

I agree it was a failure from Coker, and the 2005 class was a disaster. But it went way beyond WR.

The 2005 class didn't have a QB, RB, or WR in it. You absolutely can't have a recruiting class in any year with no skill position players.

In 2003 & 2004 we landed

QB - Kyle Wright (5 Star), Kirby Freeman (4 Star)
RB - Tyrone Moss (5 Star), Charlie Jones (5 Star)
WR - Lance Leggett (5 Star)

It was misses at all offensive positions. My point is, Coker's only defense in hindsight is - if his net were as wide as the entire state of FL, he wasn't going to find a QB, RB, or WR in 2004 & 2005 that would've made a difference. Preston Parker wouldn't have made a difference in 2006.

Now - if in 2004 & 2005 Coker said "these 5 Star Florida WR & RB's aren't good enough, I'm leaving the state to get my skill position players for the next 2 years" - would he have been correct? Yes. Would the Miami fanbase have gone apesh*t and lynched him before he got to the 2006 season? Yes.

Advertisement
The delta is that in 2006 we were wondering "what the **** happen?". Now it is "will this ever end?" or for some of us, "why should I still care?"
It’s a good point. Sometimes I wonder if it’s a cumulative effect but ****, when you lose to the worst GT team in years, Duke, and FIU....man....

List your top 3 “we’ve reached rock bottom” moment of the last 16 years
3.) FIU
2.) FSU at home 14
1.) BC closing the orange bowl

**honorable mention 07 no names on the back of the jerseys💀

List your top 3 “we’ve reached rock bottom” moment of the last 16 years
3.) FIU
2.) FSU at home 14
1.) BC closing the orange bowl

**honorable mention 07 no names on the back of the jerseys💀

UVA closed out the Orange Bowl. IIRC we finished that season with a road game at BC.

How can the 2014 FSU game be considered a rock bottom? It was a moral victory if you believe in moral victories. (Although everybody played FSU close that year.)

Advertisement
UVA closed out the Orange Bowl. IIRC we finished that season with a road game at BC.

How can the 2014 FSU game be considered a rock bottom? It was a moral victory if you believe in moral victories. (Although everybody played FSU close that year.)
Go take a look at the visitor list for that game. Had a great chance to create great momentum for the program and got walked all the way down

Clemson in 2015 was rock bottom to me. It was a pivot point, or an exclamation point perhaps. Two programs that on paper had similar talent. Two programs that left the game heading in clearly opposite directions. One regime had its team pointed towards a national championship. The other had fallen through on its promise and had its team heading towards long-term irrelevancy.

Advertisement
It’s a good point. Sometimes I wonder if it’s a cumulative effect but ****, when you lose to the worst GT team in years, Duke, and FIU....man....
We can only hope there is a bottom somewhere. I try to take solace in the fact that it took facing the closure of the football program to taking one last shot. The decision to hire Howard was actually huge. The man had outstanding pedigree and came with high price, for that time. Money was found(even a little of my own) and the deal done. Maybe the ACC will threaten to throw us out and recreate that level desperation.

The Phillips vs Meriweather thread made me look back at the 2006 Season.

This is just a history lesson and reminder that no matter how bad last season felt - it's actually better now than it was 15 years ago.

In 2006 we went 7-6 with a roster that had

- Jon Beason, Greg Olsen, Brandon Meriweather, Kenny Phillips, Calais Campbell, Sam Shields (5 Pro Bowl players)
- We were ranked #12 pre-season
- We lost 4 games where the defense gave up 13, 14 17, and 17 points
- Opponents scored 20 or less in 11 out of 13 games
- We scored 20 or less in 8 out of 13 games
- QB's threw 15 TD's & 15 INT's
- Offense scored 19.6 pts per game (only season under 20 ppg since 1979)
- We beat Houston by 1. We beat Nevada by 1. We beat Duke by 5. Duke was 0-12 that year.
- Wake Forest won the ACC
Did we lose to FIU?

Did we go 0-2 against Conference USA?

Did we start a losing streak against MFing Duke?

Did we only beat CMU at home by **** hair?

Did we lose to a completely rebuilding GT on its first year moving away from the triple option?

Did we lose to possibly the worst VT team we have ever faced at home?

Did our HC start the season saying the coastal was the floor for this season?

The coastal is Manny Diaz's ceiling 100%.

Sorry, try again.

This was by far the worst season since we became The U.

And what do we do?

Put more lipstick on this stinking pig and think things are really going to change.

Sorry, but I just can't get excited about spring or next season knowing that we will definitely win enough games against the worst schedule I have ever seen just to keep this incompetence here longer.

Then we get to break in a new QB to open the 2021 season against Baga, a game we have all had circled since it was announced, and we will be nowhere close to them, and get set back another 3+ years with that loss and the national perception of the program being that we can never compete with any of the big boys and will confirm to all of college football and every big time recruit that we are now just a Wake Forest / Vanderbilt level program and fine being so.

Rip The U...

Why rehash this misery from well over a decade ago?

Are we going to create similar threads on how bad almost every season since 2006 has been?

I'll start by creating a thread "2007 season." Then I'll create a "2008 season" thread. Will that make the OP happy?

Did we lose to FIU?

Did we lose to a completely rebuilding GT on its first year moving away from the triple option?

Did our HC start the season saying the coastal was the floor for this season?

The coastal is Manny Diaz's ceiling 100%.

Sorry, try again.

This was by far the worst season since we became The U.

And what do we do?

Put more lipstick on this stinking pig and think things are really going to change.

Sorry, but I just can't get excited about spring or next season knowing that we will definitely win enough games against the worst schedule I have ever seen just to keep this incompetence here longer.

Then we get to break in a new QB to open the 2021 season against Baga, a game we have all had circled since it was announced, and we will be nowhere close to them, and get set back another 3+ years with that loss and the national perception of the program being that we can never compete with any of the big boys and will confirm to all of college football and every big time recruit that we are now just a Wake Forest / Vanderbilt level program and fine being so.

Rip The U...
I know there's recency effect. But to give context.

Did we lose to FIU?
No. We beat an FIU team that was 1-23 from 2006-07. We got in a brawl with them because we were so frustrated we were only winning 7-0 at halftime.

- No. We beat a CUSA team by 1, and a WAC team by 1

- No. Duke was 1-23 2006-07. Duke was 2-33 2005-2007. Duke took us down to the last play of the game in 2006. We did go on a 4 game losing streak after beating FIU & Duke who were both 0-12 in 2006. FIU & Duke were both 10 times better in 2019 than they were in 2006.

Houston, Duke and Nevada were all closer games than CMU in 2006

VT won 8 games last year. They've won 7 or less in 4 of their last 8 seasons. This was one of VT's better teams recently.

In 2006 we lost 6 games. We had lost 10 games in the previous 6 years.
In 2019 we lost 7 games. We had lost 6 games the year before.

2006 was a shock because we were legit NC contenders at the start of the year. 2019 was just more of the same of who we've been since 2006.

Advertisement
Back