2006 Season

bshaw28

Junior
The Phillips vs Meriweather thread made me look back at the 2006 Season.

This is just a history lesson and reminder that no matter how bad last season felt - it's actually better now than it was 15 years ago.

In 2006 we went 7-6 with a roster that had

- Jon Beason, Greg Olsen, Brandon Meriweather, Kenny Phillips, Calais Campbell, Sam Shields (5 Pro Bowl players)
- We were ranked #12 pre-season
- We lost 4 games where the defense gave up 13, 14 17, and 17 points
- Opponents scored 20 or less in 11 out of 13 games
- We scored 20 or less in 8 out of 13 games
- QB's threw 15 TD's & 15 INT's
- Offense scored 19.6 pts per game (only season under 20 ppg since 1979)
- We beat Houston by 1. We beat Nevada by 1. We beat Duke by 5. Duke was 0-12 that year.
- Wake Forest won the ACC

Advertisement

This is just a history lesson and reminder that no matter how bad last season felt - it's actually better now than it was 15 years ago.

- Jon Beason, Greg Olsen, Brandon Meriweather, Kenny Phillips, Calais Campbell, Sam Shields (5 Pro Bowl players)
- We beat Houston by 1. We beat Nevada by 1. We beat Duke by 5. Duke was 0-12 that year.

I believe we beat Duke by 5 with about half a roster...they probably should have won but Willie Cooper's slow *** picked them off on the goal line and ran it back the other way before the turf monster (predictably) brought him down. I remember pirating the feed in my dorm room, as the only one on my floor (everyone else was smart and ****ed off to the beach for the day).

Memories.

Advertisement
Neither Nix nor Richt lost to FIU.

Neither Nix nor Richt are currently employed in real football either.

I think you/Canes fans are putting WAY too much stake into that FIU loss. Enos knew he was fired at that point and was mailing it in. All the available QB's were probably at the lowest point in their 'Canes careers.

We would've played better if we didn't field the offense and just put the D in their place, which was basically the game anyway. Meanwhile, it was probably the biggest game FIU has ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, it was a horrendous, awful loss. But it's not like we were even fielding an offense at that point.

How is that worse than having a losing record, a loss to FIU, a loss in a bowl to a Go5 and possibly no draft picks?

Nor is Dan Enos to the best of my knowledge.

Because comparing a guy that was recently fired to two guys who have been out of work for years is totally reasonable.

Enos sucked, but at least he had real credentials. Nix was the OC for a school that barely played offense and 'lil Richt had done nothing but ride Daddy's coattails his whole life.

Advertisement

Brutal.

But not worse than '19.

How is that worse than having a losing record, a loss to FIU, a loss in a bowl to a Go5 and possibly no draft picks?

Because that team had that much talent and still went 7-6 while like you said we might not have any draft picks and went 1 game worse

Eitherway it’s unacceptable and both seasons sucked

Larry Coker failed to recruit wide receivers at a replacement level from 2004 onward. Going into that summer, we had six scholarship wide receivers. One of them - Ryan Moore - was largely unavailable. A cornerback (Hill) and a punter (Monroe) were converted to wide receivers.

Miami was suited to run a triple-option offense - not a passing attack.

It's the biggest sustained recruiting failure I've seen, as it crippled Miami's offense once Devin Hester and SInorice Moss departed for the NFL. And it squandered the last traditionally great Miami defense.

Advertisement
Because comparing a guy that was recently fired to two guys who have been out of work for years is totally reasonable.

Enos sucked, but at least he had real credentials. Nix was the OC for a school that barely played offense and 'lil Richt had done nothing but ride Daddy's coattails his whole life.
You're not wrong, but Enos will be lucky to work as an OC again.

Regardless of whether he knew he was gone and mailed it in, the end of the season is going to hurt him. If he knew Williams was a flop, he should have started one of the others. I'd at least have more respect for him if he at least looked like he tried to win.

Advertisement
Because that team had that much talent and still went 7-6 while like you said we might not have any draft picks and went 1 game worse

Eitherway it’s unacceptable and both seasons sucked
But that teams talent meant that a turnaround should’ve been likely whereas now we don’t have that luxury.

Neither Nix nor Richt are currently employed in real football either.

I think you/Canes fans are putting WAY too much stake into that FIU loss. Enos knew he was fired at that point and was mailing it in. All the available QB's were probably at the lowest point in their 'Canes careers.

We would've played better if we didn't field the offense and just put the D in their place, which was basically the game anyway. Meanwhile, it was probably the biggest game FIU has ever seen.

Don't get me wrong, it was a horrendous, awful loss. But it's not like we were even fielding an offense at that point.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. We just went 1-2 against G5 opponents. We are the first P5 team to lose to FIU in their history. We lost to a 3-9 GT team. We struggled against CMU. Our O got shut out by LA Tech in a bowl game, and if I’m not mistaken, we’re the first team to get blanked in the Independence Bowl.

2006, 5 of our 6 losses came to top 25 teams. The lone “bad” loss was against 5-7 UVA

We followed that lost by beating #18 BC to become bowl eligible and won our bowl game.

Make no mistake about it; we tricked off the 2006 season w the caliber of NFL players on the roster, but this past season was a low point in our history. No comparison.

Advertisement
Back