2000 Miami

Advertisement
What??.......I'll give you Sonny Lubick...but that's it...
2000 staff had the best
OL Coach
RB Coach
DB/ST Coach
WR Coach in UM History....
Tuberville is that dude on defense. Dennis calling the offense inspires more than Larry. I'm going 1991 all day with a gun to my corpus callosum.

Everyone is.

Tuberville is that dude on defense. Dennis calling the offense inspires more than Larry. I'm going 1991 all day with a gun to my corpus callosum.

Everyone is.
Lol....Stop it....It was Lubicks Defense...Tuberville???????...MFer was a LBer coach in 91/92....When he did become a DC @ UM (93) he sucked.

Advertisement
We failed in that game, but let's also examine the record.

The worst team Dennis lost to was ranked #17 at the time and ended up 7-5 (Washington 1994). He lost to two national champs (Alabama and Nebraska). 11-0 WVU away and 12-1 champ FSU regular season '93. Dude is so beyond the best coach in the program's history, and yet this site clowns on him.

I'm tired of it.
Arizona 29, Miami 0

That stated, I do give Dennis Erickson a lot of credit as a game day coach. Recruiting and discipline not so much. He inherited most of his best players of his era. He left the program in a deep hole that took Butch five years to get out of.

Arizona 29, Miami 0

That stated, I do give Dennis Erickson a lot of credit as a game day coach. Recruiting and discipline not so much. He inherited most of his best players of his era. He left the program in a deep hole that took Butch five years to get out of.
63-9. 2 titles. 1 runner up.

Greatest coach of all time.

Advertisement
Arizona 29, Miami 0

Miracle they got that far. Thank Dennis.

2000 squad didn’t help itself with a close 42-31 win against a bad Louisiana Tech team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami was a 30 point favored in that game, maybe even 40. I think that Tech team finished 2-9. That and the loss at Washington kept Miami out of the BCS game. Yes, we beat FSU but we also lost.

How about 85-89? Beat Tennessee in the Sugar bowl and #2 Miami likely wins the national title or splits it with #3 Oklahoma who beat #1 Penn State in the Orange Bowl. Then beat Penn State like they were supposed to in 1986. A bad first half, a horrible fumble/loss of downs call that should’ve been a touchdown, and a missed two point conversion cost Miami the 1988 Notre Dame game and another undefeated season. I’m confident we would’ve beaten West Virginia. Miami won titles in 87 and 89.

Could have been 5 in a row, and throw in 1991’s NC it’s 6 out of 7. Heck, watch the 1990 Texas massacre and you know Miami would have beaten anyone in the country that day. Two regular season losses at BYU and ND made Miami undeserving.

I don’t think Miami really had a chance against Bama in 1992. The team was running on fumes and was out partying the night before (or so I read).

These r all true & good points, particularly ‘85-89; but, there’s a part of the 2000 team that often is not mentioned in the debate of why we should’ve went to the BCS Championship game over FSU. It’s not that we just beat FSU, we also beat VT. We’re the only team in the era of the BCS to have one loss or less, beat the AP’s two top teams in the same season & not make it to the championship game.

FSU didn’t face another a top 3 team all year, yet we faced two of them, and won both games, including beating the #2 team by 3 scores. We beat the #2 team AFTER that LA Tech game; in fact, to close the 2000 season, which included VT, our avg. margin of victory was 30 points! VTs lone defeat that yr was against…..us.

So yes, we played around w/ our food in the LA Tech game, but it’s unjustifiable to put a team who lost to their opponent above when the records were the same. The reason y UDub didn’t get put over was b/c they had a bad schedule. They played zero top 10 teams on the season. We played two top teams, won & had w/ the same win/loss record as those teams. The common denominator? We beat them.

So to me, regardless if we won by 9 or by 1 to LA Tech, there’s no viable excuse for this. That’s y the BCS was created to eliminate the bull chit human error that came from poll voters.

Advertisement
These r all true & good points, particularly ‘85-89; but, there’s a part of the 2000 team that often is not mentioned in the debate of why we should’ve went to the BCS Championship game over FSU. It’s not that we just beat FSU, we also beat VT. We’re the only team in the era of the BCS to have one loss or less, beat the AP’s two top teams in the same season & not make it to the championship game.

FSU didn’t face another a top 3 team all year, yet we faced two of them, and won both games, including beating the #2 team by 3 scores. We beat the #2 team AFTER that LA Tech game; in fact, to close the 2000 season, which included VT, our avg. margin of victory was 30 points! VTs lone defeat that yr was against…..us.

So yes, we played around w/ our food in the LA Tech game, but it’s unjustifiable to put a team who lost to their opponent above when the records were the same. The reason y UDub didn’t get put over was b/c they had a bad schedule. They played zero top 10 teams on the season. We played two top teams, won & had w/ the same win/loss record as those teams. The common denominator? We beat them.

So to me, regardless if we won by 9 or by 1 to LA Tech, there’s no viable excuse for this. That’s y the BCS was created to eliminate the bull chit human error that came from poll voters.
I hear ya, and agree. To be clear, I’m not trying to justify the slight, just understanding why.

Would have loved to have seen a CFP with Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, and Washington!

By the time the end of the year rolled around the 2000 team was the best team in the country. They would’ve beaten Oklahoma, no question in my mind. And the game was in crappy weather, if I recall, so it may have ended closer than it would have otherwise.

The 2001 team didn’t have Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne, but Andre Johnson came of age. Jon Vilma more than adequately replaced the most decorated single-season defensive player in college football history, CFB HOF Dan Morgan. I always felt James Jackson was somewhat underrated, but we had Portis, Frank Gore, and MacGhee in 2001.

Those 2000-2002 teams came a bad early season game at a very good Washington team (2000) and the worst call in college football history against Ohio State (2002) from three consecutive undefeated national championship seasons. The 2001-2002 teams were so great they made Larry Coker look good.

A roster brought to you by the best evaluator in college football history.

35-2

Any questions?
**** YEAH JAMES JACKSON WAS UNDERRATED!!!

SIGNED,

HIS BROTHER

Advertisement
I hear ya, and agree. To be clear, I’m not trying to justify the slight, just understanding why.

Would have loved to have seen a CFP with Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, and Washington!

Oh no doubt, & I certainly didn’t take it that way. However, I have heard apologist for the decision to choose FSU over us as that very reason. If we lived in the Bowl Coalition era, where human eye balls & style points were used to gage who deserved to be crowned Nat’l Champion at the end of the season, I would be like that’s fair; but, the BCS was to eliminate that confusion.

Furthermore, like I told a Washington fan who attended my school (& almost got his *** beat as he started becoming disrespectful), our worst “win” was against LA Tech; we then come right back & blow out the #2 team, so maybe that was a fluke game, u know looking past ur opponent. If we beat LA Tech by that margin to end the season, I’m a reasonable fan; I could possibly reason why FSU would be taken over us, being they smoked #4 UF & we struggled to beat a sub .500 team to end the season. That wasn’t the case, though.

UDub fans say it should’ve been them over both, & I kindly reminded that while they point to our 9 point win over a sub .500 team, they won 3 of their games by a total of 9 points against all 3 teams being sub .500.

Lol....Stop it....It was Lubicks Defense...Tuberville???????...MFer was a LBer coach in 91/92....When he did become a DC @ UM (93) he sucked.
Youre an outstanding Canes historian. We have tremendous mutual respect. But I will live and die by Dennis' name.

Youre an outstanding Canes historian. We have tremendous mutual respect. But I will live and die by Dennis' name.
Not the mess he left I can't...Am I Happy we Won 2 during his tenure??...Absolutely...but once JJs kids were gone, and we had to rely on "His" lack of recruiting, not to mention his loss of institutional control, it was all but over. The CFB world caught up to his Off scheme (see BYU in 90...Bama in 93) as well. His stubbornness in the NC vs Bama, to not have a better game plan was stupidity. And the players out partying until 4 a.m the day of the game made things even worse.

Advertisement
Back