2000 Miami

I’m still extremely bitter about that season, and always will be. Still waiting for someone to explain to me how we BEAT the Criminoles, yet they were chosen to go to the NC game over us. Then they get there and look like a little league squad. If you think about it, they stole that opportunity from us, then they stole the 02’ game from us against the Suckeyes. There’s a very real possibility we could have been three-peat champions.

Advertisement
I’m still extremely bitter about that season, and always will be. Still waiting for someone to explain to me how we BEAT the Criminoles, yet they were chosen to go to the NC game over us. Then they get there and look like a little league squad. If you think about it, they stole that opportunity from us, then they stole the 02’ game from us against the Suckeyes. There’s a very real possibility we could have been three-peat champions.
I remember that whole mess vividly. It was the computer component of the old BCS that screwed us. We were number 2 in the AP the whole back half of the year, but we played Louisiana Tech and that killed our SOS number. We dropped to 3 and it stayed that way all the way till the end.

The other interesting part was that Washington was right behind us and they were chirping during all the debates saying we couldn't go to the championship over them because they had beat us. It was an intense and memorable couple of weeks of debate.

2000 squad, BCS computers screwed us over
2002 squad, Terry Porter screwed us over.

1986-1988
2000-2002

Both should’ve been 3 peat dynasties
2000 squad didn’t help itself with a close 42-31 win against a bad Louisiana Tech team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami was a 30 point favored in that game, maybe even 40. I think that Tech team finished 2-9. That and the loss at Washington kept Miami out of the BCS game. Yes, we beat FSU but we also lost.

How about 85-89? Beat Tennessee in the Sugar bowl and #2 Miami likely wins the national title or splits it with #3 Oklahoma who beat #1 Penn State in the Orange Bowl. Then beat Penn State like they were supposed to in 1986. A bad first half, a horrible fumble/loss of downs call that should’ve been a touchdown, and a missed two point conversion cost Miami the 1988 Notre Dame game and another undefeated season. I’m confident we would’ve beaten West Virginia. Miami won titles in 87 and 89.

Could have been 5 in a row, and throw in 1991’s NC it’s 6 out of 7. Heck, watch the 1990 Texas massacre and you know Miami would have beaten anyone in the country that day. Two regular season losses at BYU and ND made Miami undeserving.

I don’t think Miami really had a chance against Bama in 1992. The team was running on fumes and was out partying the night before (or so I read).

Last edited:
I remember that whole mess vividly. It was the computer component of the old BCS that screwed us. We were number 2 in the AP the whole back half of the year, but we played Louisiana Tech and that killed our SOS number. We dropped to 3 and it stayed that way all the way till the end.

The other interesting part was that Washington was right behind us and they were chirping during all the debates saying we couldn't go to the championship over them because they had beat us. It was an intense and memorable couple of weeks of debate.
It wasn’t playing Louisiana Tech, it was barely beating Louisiana Tech 42-31 at Miami. Margin of victory also counted in the computer polls. That’s the kind of game Miami should’ve won by 30 maybe 40 instead of 11.

As much as I dislike Rick Neuheisel, he had a point. Washington was 4th, 11-1, and beat the 11-1 Miami team many were saying should go to the BCS game over 11-1 FSU, who lost to Miami. We would make the exact same point if Miami was in that position.

But it’s cool, I have 65-7 reasons why Neuheisel can kiss my…

It wasn’t playing Louisiana Tech, it was barely beating Louisiana Tech 42-31 at Miami. Margin of victory also counted in the computer polls. That’s the kind of game Miami should’ve won by 30 maybe 40 instead of 11.

As much as I dislike Rick Neuheisel, he had a point. Washington was 4th, 11-1, and beat the 11-1 Miami team many were saying should go to the BCS game over 11-1 FSU, who lost to Miami. We would make the exact same point if Miami was in that position.

True true. I think the fact that La Tech was a lesser opponent didn't help the matter, and even beating the crap out of them might've still hurt us, but nonetheless, it was the computers.

That pounding UW got was one of the most enjoyable Orange Bowl experiences I ever had. We all knew what was about to happen and to see it play out was extremely satisfying.

Advertisement
2000 squad didn’t help itself with a close 42-31 win against a bad Louisiana Tech team. I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami was a 30 point favored in that game, maybe even 40. I think that Tech team finished 2-9. That and the loss at Washington kept Miami out of the BCS game. Yes, we beat FSU but we also lost.

How about 85-89? Beat Tennessee in the Sugar bowl and #2 Miami likely wins the national title or splits it with #3 Oklahoma who beat #1 Penn State in the Orange Bowl. Then beat Penn State like they were supposed to in 1986. A bad first half, a horrible fumble/loss of downs call that should’ve been a touchdown, and a missed two point conversion cost Miami the 1988 Notre Dame game and another undefeated season. I’m confident we would’ve beaten West Virginia. Miami won titles in 87 and 89.

Could have been 5 in lia row, and throw in 1991’s NC it’s 6 out of 7. Heck, watch the 1990 Texas massacre and you know Miami would have beaten anyone in the country that day. Two regular season losses at BYU and ND made Miami undeserving.

I don’t think Miami really had a chance against Bama in 1992. The team was running on fumes and was out partying the night before (or so I read).
We overachieved to get there in '92, and then got exposed. That said, we were also unfocused.

By the time the end of the year rolled around the 2000 team was the best team in the country. They would’ve beaten Oklahoma, no question in my mind. And the game was in crappy weather, if I recall, so it may have ended closer than it would have otherwise.

The 2001 team didn’t have Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne, but Andre Johnson came of age. Jon Vilma more than adequately replaced the most decorated single-season defensive player in college football history, CFB HOF Dan Morgan. I always felt James Jackson was somewhat underrated, but we had Portis, Frank Gore, and MacGhee in 2001.

Those 2000-2002 teams came a bad early season game at a very good Washington team (2000) and the worst call in college football history against Ohio State (2002) from three consecutive undefeated national championship seasons. The 2001-2002 teams were so great they made Larry Coker look good.

A roster brought to you by the best evaluator in college football history.

35-2

Any questions?

You are beyond on point. The 7th Floor Crew would have run riot on Heupel and Stoops toy crew.

The Computer Rankings. The Coaches Poll ( where non of the coaches actually voted, but tasked their lackeys ), The BCS BS, & The NCAA as a whole is / was so cringe.

Is there a slimier organization in sports. Maybe Fifa with the NBA coming in hot in third.

Just awful in all respects. Amazing sport filled with incredible stories, but man this “ governing body “ ( overlords ) are deplorable. This apple is rotten to the core with snakes and worms having a field day ( very profitable one at that ).

Yup, margin of victory was a big deal that year. Simply put, we needed to score more points and that was talked about late into the season. I was ****ed when Botch would take his foot off the gas.

We did beat FSU and I thought it was a sham they got in versus us. UW though had every right to be there instead of us if we're being real if we want to use the one loss and who did you beat criteria. Even looking at the FSU game, they out gained is by over a hundred and with a competent kicker, should've won. That game led them to Jankowski.

It was nice to be back though. That really lit a fire for us going forward.

Advertisement
Yup, margin of victory was a big deal that year. Simply put, we needed to score more points and that was talked about late into the season. I was ****ed when Botch would take his foot off the gas.

We did beat FSU and I thought it was a sham they got in versus us. UW though had every right to be there instead of us if we're being real if we want to use the one loss and who did you beat criteria. Even looking at the FSU game, they out gained is by over a hundred and with a competent kicker, should've won. That game led them to Jankowski.

It was nice to be back though. That really lit a fire for us going forward.
My only disagreement with Washington would be when they lost. It may sound as if I type this wearing orange and green sunglasses but I would have ranked the three teams Miami, then Florida State, then Washington.

Why? I would rank Washington third in the trio because they lost their one game after they beat Miami. Miami lost at Washington, and then never lost again, including the win over FSU. FSU lost to Miami and never lost again. When you lose counts, all other things being equal.

My only disagreement with Washington would be when they lost. It may sound as if I type this wearing orange and green sunglasses but I would have ranked the three teams Miami, then Florida State, then Washington.

Why? I would rank Washington third in the trio because they lost their one game after they beat Miami. Miami lost at Washington, and then never lost again, including the win over FSU. FSU lost to Miami and never lost again. When you lose counts, all other things being equal.

I do get that but the again you have direct matchups. Taking off the O&G glasses, I put UW against OU.

You've got 3 one loss teams. UW beat us who beat FSU. So that's my 2 through 4.

It's kind of crazy that you have a direct link like that. I don't recall another time like it.

Advertisement
I do get that but the again you have direct matchups. Taking off the O&G glasses, I put UW against OU.

You've got 3 one loss teams. UW beat us who beat FSU. So that's my 2 through 4.

It's kind of crazy that you have a direct link like that. I don't recall another time like it.
Agreed, but Washington’s loss at Oregon was rightfully factored in.

Today though we don’t have that problem. The CFP has been fairly accurate. I don’t think you can argue the correct teams that were chosen, with a few exceptions. I think TCU got screwed one year, and Ohio State jump them for the fourth spot despite TCU winning their final game 51-3. Or something like that. And even then Ohio State went out beat top ranked Alabama in the semi-finals, and then won the national title handily over Oregon. So there’s that.

The CFP be evolving with conference realignments. It wouldn’t surprise me if five years from now, ten years from now, college football is modeled after the NFL. Two major conferences, built by the $EC and the B1G, each with an eight team playoff, followed by a national championship game between the two.

The teams looking in from the outside will have to make their own league.

Tired of looking back.

Let’s do something today
I Agree Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

As much as I loved the 1991 defense I don’t see 1991 offense scoring enough points on the 2000 or 2001 defenses. Not to be disrespectful to that national championship team, but I think they lose by 14, maybe 21. 2000-2001 had so many weapons and I’d wager the defense takes a turnover to the house.
1991 staff would walk circles around the 2000 staff.

Advertisement
When asked about game strategy, Dennis Erickson said we're gonna use what brung us here. Alabama had plenty of tape on that.
We failed in that game, but let's also examine the record.

The worst team Dennis lost to was ranked #17 at the time and ended up 7-5 (Washington 1994). He lost to two national champs (Alabama and Nebraska). 11-0 WVU away and 12-1 champ FSU regular season '93. Dude is so beyond the best coach in the program's history, and yet this site clowns on him.

I'm tired of it.

Advertisement
Back